Free Speed Increase Notification

bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

I have received an email from Virginmedia saying I am getting a free upgrade for my BB this Autumn and to watch my inbox for notification of this.I was upgraded to 100mb about a year ago free of cost so does that mean I am being upgraded to 152mb? I have read elsewhere that for some the price of BB is going up soon so I assume mine will at some date in the future but does anyone know about this speed increase or have had the email themselves?

Here's the page my email guides me to...

http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/speed-upgrade.html

Comments

• owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing about Virgin, it aint gonna be free. watch out for a way above inflation rise coming your way soon
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owl61uk wrote: »
    One thing about Virgin, it aint gonna be free. watch out for a way above inflation rise coming your way soon

Already happening for broadband-only customers from November - letters are being received now.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I have received an email from Virginmedia saying I am getting a free upgrade for my BB this Autumn and to watch my inbox for notification of this.I was upgraded to 100mb about a year ago free of cost so does that mean I am being upgraded to 152mb? I have read elsewhere that for some the price of BB is going up soon so I assume mine will at some date in the future but does anyone know about this speed increase or have had the email themselves?

Here's the page my email guides me to...

http://store.virginmedia.com/special-offers/speed-upgrade.html

AFAIK if you are on 100 Mb now then your upgrade will be upgraded to 200Mb, I’m on 50 so mine will go up to 100.

As for price rises these are like taxes and death, both are unavoidable.:(
  • bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    AFAIK if you are on 100 Mb now then your upgrade will be upgraded to 200Mb, I’m on 50 so mine will go up to 100.

200MB? WOW! that will be good but will my Superhub 1 be any good for that speed or will I get a Superhub 2?
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst no one likes price rises and they are inevitable what i do grudge is the way above inflation price rises.

For past 5 years or so inflation has been about 2% or less. most folks pay rises were typically 2% or less. Virgin price rises each yaer for past 5 years have been about 8% each year, or more in some instances
  • bruce_appletonbruce_appleton Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst no one likes price rises and they are inevitable what i do grudge is the way above inflation price rises.

For past 5 years or so inflation has been about 2% or less. most folks pay rises were typically 2% or less. Virgin price rises each yaer for past 5 years have been about 8% each year, or more in some instances

I agree but,to be honest,I am happy with paying a little more.There are ways around the hikes by paying line rental in a year in advance....before the price hikes.I have saves a few £'s that way...just food for thought.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my price increase letter today and it works out around + 6.5% so around about the same I used to get from TalkTalk with their (tongue in cheek:D) free broadband + line rental.

The only thing I’m miffed about this morning is reading the 100, 200, 300 thread here that there’s to be no increase in uploads speeds.:cry:
  • DreamRJDreamRJ Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I’m miffed about this morning is reading the 100, 200, 300 thread here that there’s to be no increase in uploads speeds.:cry:

Same it is totally damn discusting they keep ignoring upload speeds, it is no good keep increasing the download and just ignoring the damn upload, i think i might just downgrade from the xxl 152 (soon to be 200mbs) cos why the hell should i keep paying for a crap upload speed, virgin media are a total joke.
  • cliversclivers Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Mine came this morning £1.75pm
  • martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably worth considering the fact that the bulk of customers probably do very little uploading and consider a fast download more important. A friend of mine who is on EE gets about 5Mb download speed on a good day, I told her before she signed up she should go with Virgin but she said 'I can't Afford it' now she complains about a slow connection.
  • razorramonrazorramon Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    hi guys - yet again price rises, and increasing speeds...so if im on 50 meg onternet only , ill be getting 100meg for an extra £1.75.
    ..will this make my internet surfing faster ?
    to be honest i havnt noticed any change in when browsing the internet, pages always slow to load, even this site slow to load?..and no my laptop is clean with antispyware and have installe dantivirus etc...what i really hate is this throtlliting at normal time , i want to download something and the speeds are capped at 2.5Mbps from 5pm to way after midnight , they thenm suddenly increase to 51Mbps...thats when everyone is asleep...so what is the point of having 100 meg?. i know download speeds but what is uploads speed ?
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't throttle the download speeds (only upload) so if you're getting poor speed at peak time it's because the network in your area can't cope with the level of demand.

If it's definitely network congestion in your area (and not something like a WiFi problem) you may be entitled to a monthly discount of up to £12.50 if things are really bad.

It's best to give them a call and select the "Thinking of leaving" as you get through to staff based in the UK who are so much more helpful than the standard customer service.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with many things, annual price rises are commonplace. VM is no different. You'll be paying the extra £1.75 come what may, so you might as well take advantage of the speed increase regardless.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the 50mb/s package and had the price rise notification letter last week, it's £30.75 a month now. I haven't had a letter about a speed increase but there was a note in the My Virgin Media section of the website about being upgraded from 50 to 70mb/s by the end of November.

I just ran a speed test and it was 64.6mb/s, so it looks like my speed has already been increased.
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Did the online upgrade yesterday after reading this thread, it said I would have to replace my old superhub 1 with a superhub 2 (didn't say it if was the original superhub 2 or superhub 2ac) Since I chose the self install upgrade it is only charging £5.99 for postage.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    Did the online upgrade yesterday after reading this thread, it said I would have to replace my old superhub 1 with a superhub 2 (didn't say it if was the original superhub 2 or superhub 2ac) Since I chose the self install upgrade it is only charging £5.99 for postage.

Did that start a new 12 month contract? I'm very wary of initiating upgrades from VM.
  • specklyspeckly Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My speed increase was activated yesterday.

It was still at the old speed initially, but on the advice of their tech support team I reset my router to factory settings and thereafter it was faster.
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    Did that start a new 12 month contract? I'm very wary of initiating upgrades from VM.

I'm not 100% sure but knowing Virgin they probably did. Main reason I did it other than the speed increase was you get a superhub 2, the wireless range on the superhub 1 is pathetic & superhub 2 is supposed to have better range.
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen Adverts on TV about new speeds and seen on the site and logged on to my account they say my area is ready to update and all I need to do is press ok .....

BUT would like to know if this is a free update as in pass when the offer of free update speeds it was do free and you did not have to press any ok buttons it just went ahead.

the speed changes was not free and hubs were needed to be changed too.

I have super hub 2 and on 152 MB and have got great speed from that over the time.

I know that some laptops and PC network chips will not be able take full speeds and some network chips software in past year downloaded from Microsoft slowed the speed and people had roll back software.....

is it free ????????????????????
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Seems to be free for me anyway. I have to get a new Super Hub next Monday and will go from 100Mbs to 150 but no explicit charge for the speed upgrade and the installation is free. The prices always go up eventually of course. HTH.
    Forum Member
    Well my "latest & greatest superhub" was delivered yesterday but it was a superhub 2 & not the latest superhub 2ac. To make matters worse the power adaptor that was in the box doesn't even fit in the hub. Called them up & was told they would issue out a new power adaptor.

But after checking it again & even trying the superhub 1 power adaptor which also didn't fit it was obviously the superhub 2 that was at fault. Called them up again & a very helpful guy issued a new superhub 2ac which will arrive tomorrow & he credited my account with £20 to cover the hub & delivery.

There seems to be quite a few complaints online about the hubs turning up with the wrong power adaptors. I was also told by another advisor that I could get the BB price dropped to £32 a month so will probably take up that offer as it costing me over £37 a month the now.
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've upgraded and getting speed as promised. Upload speed also doubled, which is what I was keen on.
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    Seems to be free for me anyway. I have to get a new Super Hub next Monday and will go from 100Mbs to 150 but no explicit charge for the speed upgrade and the installation is free. The prices always go up eventually of course. HTH.
  • ricksbricksb Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »

Would you be able to put up a link to were the online upgrade is as the only place on the website were you can upgrade your broadband didn't give an option for self install upgrade and forced you into choosing a date for a engineer to come round.
    Forum Member
    ricksb wrote: »
    Would you be able to put up a link to were the online upgrade is as the only place on the website were you can upgrade your broadband didn't give an option for self install upgrade and forced you into choosing a date for a engineer to come round.

I just went to My Virgin Media site https://my.virginmedia.com/home/index

Signed in & then clicked the button that says "Start the magic" & clicked "Order Now" when the page finished loading, it defaulted to the self install pack for me as I only needed the superhub to be upgraded.

Hope it helps :)
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how long it takes for the new speeds to kick in? Got the superhub 2ac today & got it all setup & called virgin to activate it but the speed is just over 100mb & not nearer 150mb. Have powered off the hub to see if that would change things but it didn't. My package page on my virgin media still says the package is 100mb.