Options

Sky Talk ''Service Charge''

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just noticed I now get a monthly ''service charge'' of 70p (relating to a phone call I apparently made which I didn't make). No mention of this in the Sky terms and conditions.Anyone know why ?

Comments

• Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Numbers starting with 084, 087, 09 and 118 are Service Numbers which incur a Service Charge in addition to the Access Charge of 11.5p/minute levied by Sky for connecting the call. For example, the Service Charge for numbers starting 0844 000 is 7p/minute.

Ofcom regulations require a warning such as "Calls cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company's Access Charge" to be given whenever these numbers are advertised or communicated, but compliance is rare.

So if you made a 10-minute call as above it would cost £1.85, of which the Service Charge would be 70p.

Do any 084 / 087 / 09 / 118 numbers show on your itemised bills? Remember, you might have used Call Return (via 1471) rather than dialling it directly.

You might also find that it's caused by a burglar alarm or other connected device making automated calls to a Service Charge number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an 0871 number which I don't recognise. I don't have any burglar alarms etc. I'm not going to ring it as presumably I will incur a further charge, I'll just keep an eye on it.A friend had a payment deducted every month by Sky for a number he said he'd never called. Eventually they stopped it. Thanks very much for your help.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    It's an 0871 number which I don't recognise. I don't have any burglar alarms etc. I'm not going to ring it as presumably I will incur a further charge, I'll just keep an eye on it.A friend had a payment deducted every month by Sky for a number he said he'd never called. Eventually they stopped it. Thanks very much for your help.

Try putting the number into your favourite search engine or the "say no to 0870" website. That could reveal who the call was to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have Sky TV, but I understand their boxes phone home to report on which programmes you've been watching. They're not known as Spy TV for nothing ! :o

The boxes used to be programmed with a freephone number, but perhaps the Ts &Cs have quietly been changed to allow an 0871 number to be programmed?

Or perhaps you've pressed a button on the remote to vote in a TV show, and that triggers a call to an 0871 number?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done a search - it's a company that sells circuit breakers. I have never had any contact with them in my life, I have no need for circuit breakers. I wonder if it is some sort of scam ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    087 numbers are classed as Premium Rate Services, so you should be able to get Sky to ban them on your line at no charge.

Unfortunately, in its infinite wisdom Ofcom hasn't classed 084 numbers in the same way, but at least it should stop your 0871 number being called.