Options

Metro Radio - OH DEAR!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
Forum Member
Tony Horne was rather quiet about the figures this morning...

Lowest station reach... EVER...

Losing out to Galaxy...

What went wrong????:eek:

Comments

• Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    He's lost the plot me thinks. The same old tired show format day after day.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it really true he broadcasts the "local" breakfast show from London - fooling the listeners he's in the studio at newcastle?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not London, Manchester, normally from Key 103, he's rarely in the NE and hasn't moved since he re-joined
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Well its about time he was knocked off his perch...
    He has made some terrible comments recently! Should not be allowed to get away with it.

Metro have made some fundemtnal errors in the past 12 months. Wonder how they will get back on track?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    cabbielad wrote: »
    Well its about time he was knocked off his perch...
    He has made some terrible comments recently! Should not be allowed to get away with it.

Metro have made some fundemtnal errors in the past 12 months. Wonder how they will get back on track?

Sadly he will get away with it because nobody will challenge him, the power of figures however reveal he is not as high and mighty as he may think, Metro should be worried and quite frankly with the goings on over the past 12 months its about time:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metro makes no mention of the breakfast show coming from Manchester in the public file.

http://www.metroradio.co.uk//article.asp?id=249055
  • Options
    96.6TFM-Sean96.6TFM-Sean Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Metro makes no mention of the breakfast show coming from Manchester in the public file.

http://www.metroradio.co.uk//article.asp?id=249055

They dont need to. As strictly speaking the show IS produced in the Metro Studio.

He is in Key 103/Manch and Anna and the rest of the crew are in Newcastle. So the show output come from the Studio in Newcastle ... but he is elsewhere. So they can say its local output.
  • Options
    Phillip SwiftPhillip Swift Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly he will get away with it because nobody will challenge him, the power of figures however reveal he is not as high and mighty as he may think, Metro should be worried and quite frankly with the goings on over the past 12 months its about time:rolleyes:

They will challenge him but at the moment he probably has the upper hand. He will have a contract and someone like him will have a fairly watertight contract too so it'll cost Metro a lot of money to get out of that. All contracts have an end date though so i'm sure unless he's performing really well he won't get another contract.

If I was a betting man i'd put money on the new Metro PC already looking for a new breakfast show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Tony Horne is a good DJ but he is just over-rated and now it would appear he is out of date with his audience. I rarely listen to him as I am not in his area but when I do, it seems he relies on belittling people and while this may be good as a shock tactic at first, it soon becomes very tiring. If there is a new PD they need to find someone who lives in the area, is not too young and can return the audience to the station.

The charts on Radio Today does seem to show a worryingly downward spiral as they are losing audience to Radio 2 and Galaxy fm. This would say to me that action is required and a DJ is found that can offer entertainment value and to find this, they have to find someone who is experienced and usually older. Evans is over 50, the two DJs on Galaxy FM are younger but they know the NE very well.

I would say to Metro bosses that they need to find someone who loves the NE, is funny but not insulting, and a team player. It can't be a very long list and I cannot think of anyone who would fit the bill right now and there lies the problem. They will keep with TH not because of the contract or the loss of audience, but more because they can't find anyone else who would go to the NE to do it and be any better. Not that TH broadcasts from the NE in any case.
  • Options
    NeladNelad Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horne is already touting himself around for when his contract expires with Metro.

Let's hope some station far away from the north east makes him an offer that he cannot refuse ;)

Horney Media was formed in 1998 by Tony and Natalie Horne. We continue to write, produce and present the Tony Horne In The Morning Radio Show, believed to be the longest running continuous breakfast show in English commercial radio. The show is contracted to Metro Radio until December 2011. Negotiations are currently open to all interested parties for the broadcast contract of the Tony Horne In The Morning Radio Show from January 2012 to December 2016

Source: www.horneymedia.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an aside, I think much respect has to go to Steve and Karen at Galaxy north east.

Together, they have done the breakfast show continually for not far short of 10 years.

They still sound fun and entertaining and a move to Metro breakfast would be no bad thing in my opinion.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    They dont need to. As strictly speaking the show IS produced in the Metro Studio.

He is in Key 103/Manch and Anna and the rest of the crew are in Newcastle. So the show output come from the Studio in Newcastle ... but he is elsewhere. So they can say its local output.

I think this an interesting one. The show is produced and co-presented from Newcastle but the main presenter is in Manchester. Wonder what OFCOM would make of that one were someone to complain.

Aside from that, I think it's pretty pathetic that the breakfast show presenter on a (what was once) major market station neither comes to the city where it's broadcasting from or lives in the patch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I think this an interesting one. The show is produced and co-presented from Newcastle but the main presenter is in Manchester. Wonder what OFCOM would make of that one were someone to complain.

Aside from that, I think it's pretty pathetic that the breakfast show presenter on a (what was once) major market station neither comes to the city where it's broadcasting from or lives in the patch.

Either way he is produced Locally so they are okay, so is Clive Warren...the only live shifts at Metro are Brian Moore on Drive and Robsons Nightowls which is sounding very old and Downtrodden with the same callers and his very poor Parody Bits!

The Music has improved and the Imaging too, I'll be looking at the next Quarter very interestingly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way he is produced Locally so they are okay, so is Clive Warren...the only live shifts at Metro are Brian Moore on Drive and Robsons Nightowls which is sounding very old and Downtrodden with the same callers and his very poor Parody Bits!

The Music has improved and the Imaging too, I'll be looking at the next Quarter very interestingly!

Is Clive Warren not based on patch either then? He quite often mentions restaurants and places that he claims to have been to during his show.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly OT, is Metro used as the hub for the Magic AM network?
  • Options
    cserpentcserpent Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    According to someone in the know, Tony Horne lives well within the Metro TSA - and he does his show from 55˚ North.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Nelad wrote: »
    Is Clive Warren not based on patch either then? He quite often mentions restaurants and places that he claims to have been to during his show.

He has a similar way of working it like Tony, contractually I would guess he has to be in the TSA for so many shifts a Month like Tony so he can talk about the Area...plus it's handy as he knows the North East from his early days at both Metro & TFM prior to his CITV/Capital days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Without a shadow of a doubt he does not live in the north east, and hasn't since he left the first time around. He visits only when there is a very valid reason / meeting etc. It is part of his deal. He has a home studio but is normally to be found at Key 103.

Another example of Metro management bending over and taking it for what they percieved as their 'star'. Well done to him for exposing how foolish and easilly manipulated the bosses are. I'm guessing that they are feeling rather foolish now and yes I agree.... If I was them I would be calling Steve and Karen!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Newcastle is the hub for magic AM, which is about the only good thing in terms of the station being local since networking after breakfast, i think the only show that doesn't come from Newcastle is the DLT at the weekends
  • Options
    satman5000satman5000 Posts: 1,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't Metro has ever sounded worse, stopped listening a while ago

I really do not like the new imaging they have, and they also now play a bed over the news, they stopped doing it for years and have now brought it back and is there any need for it

Regarding TH he was great when he was originally at the station, but it is just the same old same old now, they need something new and fresh.

The music policy on the station is also awful, they have this lunch online thing, where you supposedly get to choose the music, well people must be picking the same thing day in day out, it's boring and repetitive.

They also got rid of the only alternative music show they had in Robson's Hot n Heavy and replaced it with a cut down version of Nightowls, I mean does Robson really even need to work 6 nights a week probably not!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well seeing as I only joined the forum this year you are mistaken about my defending Mark Thorburn. You're analysis of the Metro figures is... how shall we say.. unique?

I always thought he was very good on the air, I also think that Clive Warren is very good. What went on in his private life is none of my business and for the record I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Great local tabloid fodder but over and above that, who cares?

Metro have lost their way and have for a long time, Galaxy have had a good and consistent breakfast for years that hasn't needed to resort to the cheap tricks that Metro has stooped to. Now Real also have a good product in Gary Philipson. TFM have had a great Rajar and that must be in no small way down to Wayne.

My point is that what was once a mighty force has sadly just put in its worst performance in a very long time, perhaps ever and the competition is serious if they are to ever recover.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Given that GMG's regional stations effectively have licence to go national from the beginning of June, I hardly think they'll be hiring from Metro or anywhere else anytime soon.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not the only breakfast show doing that at the moment either. It's a bit naughty, but what can be done about it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Negotiations are currently open to all interested parties for the broadcast contract of the Tony Horne In The Morning Radio Show from January 2012 to December 2016

Good luck with securing that 5 year contract :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    which other breakfast show doesn't broadcast from its local area?