Options

Trans woman student abused and shoved out of toilets at Leeds University

Comments

• Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    You think transsexuals actually suffer so little discrimination that they've had to make something up?

It would have to be a conspiracy by the university, its staff and the students who assaulted the victim.

Transphobia is alive and well as demonstrated clearly on this forum today.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Male to female transsexuals have to live for at least a year as a female, before they are even considered for an operation. For many, the operation cannot happen (due to medical reasons or because they don't want it (but are still transsexual)).

I hate to tell you, that no transitioning m2f transexual will be a "hairy arsed bloke". Most would be undergoing other treatments at the same time, including laser hair removal treatment, FCS and breast augmentation and a cocktail of very powerful hormones. SRS is usually the last treatment on the list.

And, i honestly doubt that any transitioning m2f transexual would be in a changing room with their male bits "hanging out". It would be absolutely mortifying for them.

Hmm, "how would we know if they were a transexual or just a pervert?" Are you serious?

Gosh, as there are no such thing as female perverts, the females in the changing room wouldn't know what to do as they have never encountered such a thing!

The transsexual in this story, by his own admission, didn't look like a woman but still wanted to be identified as such. That he didnt look like a woman seems to be the main reason he was assaulted in the first place. But you seem to be suggesting its obvious to all and sundry when someone is undergoing gender reassignment. Sorry but it isn't always the case, as this story shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The transsexual in this story, by his own admission, didn't look like a woman but still wanted to be identified as such. That he didnt look like a woman seems to be the main reason he was assaulted in the first place. But you seem to be suggesting its obvious to all and sundry when someone is undergoing gender reassignment. Sorry but it isn't always the case, as this story shows.

"The fact that he didnt look like a woman seems to be the main reason why he was assaulted"

Take a step back.

1) She should not have been in any way assaulted. Those responsible were lucky that charges were not pressed. If they were concerned, they should have called security instead of attacking someone.

2) Please take care to call her a SHE, it is incredibly rude and insulting to do otherwise.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    A few years back there was the case of a female cancer patient who was raped in a hospital toilet. Gender divide is far from pointless.

Thats the weirdest thing I have read....you mean a rapist wouldnt have gone into the toilet if it had been labelled as 'the ladies'??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    Thats the weirdest thing I have read....you mean a rapist wouldnt have gone into the toilet if it had been labelled as 'the ladies'??

no, its not as weird as the post above that said that a criminal was transitioning so they could assault women in a female prison!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    The trans person identifies as a female. Its not about genetics or a vagina, or the lack of a penis. It is how they are wired, it is them. The fact that you are a male is not because you have a penis. If you personally didnt have a penis, you would still be male, you would still feel like you are male, you would still identify as a male.

You cannot 'identify' as male/female. Male/female concerns biological sex, not 'identity'.

I accept that trans people experience dysphoria, but that does not change the reality of their bodies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spinnt wrote: »
    You cannot 'identify' as male/female. Male/female concerns biological sex, not 'identity'.

I accept that trans people experience dysphoria, but that does not change the reality of their bodies.

Much earlier I posted about the development of the foetus in the womb and how all begin life as female. At 6 weeks those with a y chromosone release testosterone following which the testes and penis begin to develop. Sometimes testosterone is not released and sometimes the testosterone receptors are faulty so the foetus continues to develop as a female but is genetially male.

There are also similar problems when testosterone is released when the foetus has xx chromsone and thus develops physically as a male but is genetically female.

So if you want to talk about 'sex' then even biology gets it wrong....but the subject was not 'sex' but 'gender' and gender is a social construct.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    I'm questioning whether it happened ast all.

So, not staged but imagined? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what do you suggest they do, live life as a male when they are female (or vice versa)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    Much earlier I posted about the development of the foetus in the womb and how all begin life as female. At 6 weeks those with a y chromosone release testosterone following which the testes and penis begin to develop. Sometimes testosterone is not released and sometimes the testosterone receptors are faulty so the foetus continues to develop as a female but is genetially male.

There are also similar problems when testosterone is released when the foetus has xx chromsone and thus develops physically as a male but is genetically female.

So if you want to talk about 'sex' then even biology gets it wrong....but the subject was not 'sex' but 'gender' and gender is a social construct.

I'm not understanding at all. How can someone be genetically male, but continue to be female? Unless you're suggesting that 'brain sex' exists?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are you that concerned?
    If someone tells me they are female, I'll take their word for it without a look at their genitals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not understanding at all. How can someone be genetically male, but continue to be female? Unless you're suggesting that 'brain sex' exists?

Thats because you are assuming that everything is black and white, depending on if you have either a penis or vagina.

Nature doesn't always get things correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am assuming you are male....you have a penis and testes and if someone were to look at your DNA they would find XY chromosones which are male chromosones. What would you be if they found XX chromosones, you know female chromosones. Would you be male or would you be female?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats because you are assuming that everything is black and white, depending on if you have either a penis or vagina.

I'm still confused. Are you suggesting that trans people are intersex?

Because putting aside intersex people, it is pretty black and white. Penis = male, Vagina = female.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

Because putting aside intersex people, it is pretty black and white. Penis = male, Vagina = female.

It isn't black and white however. Having a penis is only one attribute of a male - it is possible for other attributes to be in conflict with the reproductive organs. Gender and sex are complex - it isn't that there is a 'gene for being a boy' - there are many many factors and if some of these are conflicting or have been altered after conception you can have the 'bits' of a male but other attributes (most importantly within the brain) of a female.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No.

It is more complicated than this, but consider it a brain/ body mismatch. I also believe it is a spectrum disorder - and some people can be gender neutral.

Taglet makes a good point. As a thought experiment, how would you feel if you took a blood test and the results came back that you were genetically XX - a female but that a mutation gave your body slightly more testosterone than usual and you developed male sexual organs. Would that change who you are and how you feel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although you havent asked me, my answer would be no. But you have picked up on another area where biology has failed so given that biology has failed with people who are intersex why is it not such a big leap to understand that there can be other failures with the developing feotus?

I have explained how development occurs and how things can go wrong.....nothing is ever black and white as you think. I would never claim that feotal development causes transgender because I dont think it is that simple but I am trying to show that if you purely look at biology you would still be wrong to claim it is black and white.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it is simple. this person has a penis so can therefore have the ability to commit the offense of rape just like i or any other man can. only men can commit rape so yeah still a male as long as there's a penis
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    it is simple. this person has a penis so can therefore have the ability to commit the offense of rape just like i or any other man can. only men can commit rape so yeah still a male as long as there's a penis

Do you really define "male" by their ability to commit rape? Sweet Jesus you have issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well there is a bizarre definition.....you are a man because you can rape :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont be silly guys, no in the eyes of the law only men can commit rape because they have the use of a penis. it doesnt define men but its something only a man can do. this person has a penis so can do something which no woman in the world can do
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dont be silly guys, no in the eyes of the law only men can commit rape because they have the use of a penis. it doesnt define men but its something only a man can do. this person has a penis so can do something which no woman in the world can do

What law is that now????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    What law is that now????

you mean the legal and accepted definition of rape? which can only be considered rape if you have a penis. if only men have a penis this person is still therefore a man

this isnt supposed to be difficult to understand

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/Definitionofrape2.php
    The person who commits the offence of rape must be a man (as the penetration has to be with a penis).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taglet makes a good point. As a thought experiment, how would you feel if you took a blood test and the results came back that you were genetically XX - a female but that a mutation gave your body slightly more testosterone than usual and you developed male sexual organs. Would that change who you are and how you feel?

I'm female.

Being male with XX chromosomes is a disorder.

You cannot 'feel' female. You either are or you are not. It is not an identity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    What law is that now????

The official rape law definition in the UK is antiquated and backward.

If the person is seriously using this to define what a "male" is, that's terrible.

I hate to see transsexuals and topics like rape in the same thread. Another example of transphobia.