Options

Spain v Netherlands - Exclusively live only on BBC One 7.30pm 13/06

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first half, but then missed most of the second, but just saw the last 15 and the highlights. Reminded me a bit of 2 england germany games.

5-1 england, when Germany missed chances to go 2-1 up.
    4-1 germany, when lampard scoring would have made all the difference.

So without the Casillas error, maybe spain dont panic, and you dont get a landslide. Spain looked very comfortable in the first half.

True but Holland didn't really look uncomfortable either, thought it was a very even first half, think Holland realised after getting the equaliser that Spain were there to be taken.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow - major shock for Spain. The undisputed best team in the world - current Euro and World Champions - stuffed by some Holland part timers! :D
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    think they said Casillas was something like 15 minutes away from setting a record for time without conceding a goal in world cup finals as well , think he might have missed that

That'll be because in the last World Cup they won all 4 of their knockout games 1-0.
    They scored 1 today but then forgot to defend.

They only conceded 2 goals in the entirety of the last World Cup so they've just conceded 2.5 times that in the first game.

In their group games they lost the first 1-0 to Switzerland, comfortably beat Honduras 2-0 and then beat Chile 2-1.

Yes, they faced Chile in the group last time round so just like Holland, they'll be wanting revenge!
  • Options
    Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing match, great result for Holland. Spain have to win their last two games and that might not even be enough if Chile beat Australia and Holland and Holland beat Australia. If goal difference comes into it Spain could have real problems
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    That'll be because in the last World Cup they won all 4 of their knockout games 1-0.
    They scored 1 today but then forgot to defend.

They only conceded 2 goals in the entirety of the last World Cup so they've just conceded 2.5 times that in the first game.

In their group games they lost the first 1-0 to Switzerland, comfortably beat Honduras 2-0 and then beat Chile 2-1.

Yes, they faced Chile in the group last time round so just like Holland, they'll be wanting revenge!

They've been arrogant and complacent for years and now their chickens are coming home to roost... hard not to feel a little proud of Holland and (potentially) Chile.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Holland .

That's whats so great about sport, when the mighty can be humbled like that .
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Got a rather decent firework display going here. Must be Dutch folk.

Can't see anything about a national holiday. Either that or people who are delighted to have survived Fri 13th
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing match, great result for Holland. Spain have to win their last two games and that might not even be enough if Chile beat Australia and Holland and Holland beat Australia. If goal difference comes into it Spain could have real problems

A win and a draw might still do it for Spain.
    Depends upon other results.

And I believe head to head results are judged first before goal difference, if two teams are level on points
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spain are 2-1 down and they send on Torres. Torres?!
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    A win and a draw might still do it for Spain.
    Depends upon other results

Extremely unlikely
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Extremely unlikely

They'd have to get the win against Chile and the draw against Australia to make it work, so I agree, very unlikely.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I thought Spain looked vulnerable at the back from the start.

They have got used to teams being afraid of them and lacking ambition, but Holland have just shown that Spain don't cope too well with pressure being put on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    They'd have to get the win against Chile and the draw against Australia to make it work, so I agree, very unlikely.

If Chile and Australia draw tonight, it's very possible

In fact, even if one of them wins it is still very likely if Spain then beat the team that wins tonight.
    In fact, 2 points could be enough (although I agree that that is very unlikely)
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Embarrassing for Spain really. So much for 'completing the puzzle' with Costa
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people getting far to carried away based on just one game. Those saying Spain have been over the hill for a while clearly have not been following football at all.

They have only had one bad half of football and can bounce back. Lets not forget the dutch side got to the final of the last world cup they almost won it last time. The manner of the result and final score line is a shock but it was not a given Spain would walk this match.

Sure it was a half in which the side just fell apart. The defence was torn apart by Arjen Robben but their are not many teams with a player like him. It is easy to get carried away and many people have with claims it is the death of football in Spain.

I think the result had more to do with Holland just being outstanding in that half. The goal just before half time was one in a million. Then Robben just put in the best half of football I have seen anyone play.

I still expect Spain to get through the group and it sets up a great game against Brazil one would expect. I still think Spain have enough about the squad to beat them on the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The wider point to be made is that Spain now have (I think) no way of winning the group unless Holland tank and Spain win their next two games by several goals. This means that even if Spain get through they will finish second and therefore face Brazil in the second round.

Which means, all things considered and having seen Brazil play, it's all over for Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If Chile and Australia draw tonight, it's very possible
    In fact, 2 points could be enough (although I agree that that is very unlikely)

It's mathematically impossible to go through with two points.
  • Options
    DarksiderDarksider Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    ♫ Spain are 2-1 down and they send on Torres. Torres?! ♫

♫ Who the f*** is Torres!? ♫
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    It's mathematically impossible to go through with two points.

What if Holland beat Spain, Chile and Australia and the 3 beaten sides all drew with eachother? You'd have Holland on 9 points and the rest on 2 each.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    What if Holland beat Spain, Chile and Australia and the 3 beaten sides all drew with eachother? You'd have Holland on 9 points and the rest on 2 each.

Exactly.
    Although Holland would have to beat both Australia and Chile by at least 4 goals for that to work. As I say very unlikely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »

Spain would still be 4 down on goal difference. Okay, it's not mathematically impossible, I'm wrong about that, but Holland would have to have two further 4-0 victories - yes, that's 4-0, as 5-1 would not be enough, which is virtually impossible.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Exactly.
    Although Holland would have to beat both Australia and Chile by at least 4 goals for that to work. As I say very unlikely

I could see it happening with Australia, maybe not Chile, but you never know.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I nearly placed a bet last week on Spain going out at the group stage. Damn :D

Has any defending champion been so outclassed in their first game of the next World Cup?
    Q is whether del Bosque will make the necessary changes. I think he'll stick with Casillas, Xavi, Costa (pity he didn't get sent off really). Imho start with Villa and Pedro and replace Piqué (but with who I suppose). The non-possession game didn't work but they were so much slower & less dynamic than the Dutch, who didn't let them play their normal game.
    Pity there's no replacement for de Jong though. Dirty player.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the Spain/Barcelona players seem to have a serious issue in dealing with Robben. They're terrified of him.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly placed a bet last week on Spain going out at the group stage. Damn :D

Has any defending champion been so outclassed in their first game of the next World Cup?
    Q is whether del Bosque will make the necessary changes. I think he'll stick with Casillas, Xavi, Costa (pity he didn't get sent off really). Imho start with Villa and Pedro and replace Piqué (but with who I suppose). The non-possession game didn't work but they were so much slower & less dynamic than the Dutch, who didn't let them play their normal game.
    Pity there's no replacement for de Jong though. Dirty player.

Dr. Linus wrote: »
    The wider point to be made is that Spain now have (I think) no way of winning the group unless Holland tank and Spain win their next two games by several goals. This means that even if Spain get through they will finish second and therefore face Brazil in the second round.

Which means, all things considered and having seen Brazil play, it's all over for Spain.

I was driving and didn't see the game but I'll stick my neck out and say Casillas should not have been selected. Just as Ashley Cole was not selected. Just as Júlio César should not have been selected.

No match practice.