Wagner's thoughts on remaining contestants!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
X Factor’s Wagner Carrilho says he NEVER wanted to win the show – and today declares that he will be the ONLY star the public will remember when it’s all over.

In his first-ever interview, the *Brazilian charmer yesterday revealed:

And he insisted: “The winner might win... but that doesn’t mean you will have a career.”

Asked about the remaining *contestants, he said scornfully: “I don’t think any of them have any charisma. I am *wondering if they will get a career out of that... and I think I might.”

I met Wagner over breakfast in a hotel in Brighton yesterday morning after his first gigs since he left the show. He had been up until 3.30am after two nightclub appearances where he was feted like an international sex symbol.

He is adamant that being kicked off X Factor last weekend could be the best thing for his career.

The former double-glazing salesman said: “I didn’t want to win X Factor. You can’t expect to win because it doesn’t depend on you. The public decides.”

Hinting darkly at a plot to get him off the show, he said: “I was surprised I was in the bottom three last week.”

With a wry smile and a wiggle of his eyebrows, he added: “But then, who counts the votes? The public never see the way they voted.”

Still wearing his gold chains and black cowboy shirt with red roses from his gigs the night before, he squeezed my thigh under the table, then leaned to whisper in my ear: “Girls are *always welcome – so you are *welcome.”

He’s a little cheesy, but he was the perfect gentleman throughout.

Wagner – slated by the judges for his style, delivery, voice and almost *everything else – was kept in the contest by massive public support which saw him saved week after week.

Thousands of people joined Facebook and Twitter *campaigns to save him in *protest at Simon Cowell’s *domination of the *music industry.

So what does he think of his fellow contestants?

He predicts Mary Byrne will be out *tomorrow, thinks *Rebecca is unexciting and says Matt Cardle could win but doesn’t *deserve it because he’s “not a good *character”.

“Matt has a good voice but when he sang Come *Together I thought, ‘My God, this is a John Lennon song’ and I thought he was weak,” said *Wagner.

“Rebecca, I love her voice. *Rebecca will probably last but she’s not very excitable. Mary – well, she’s gone.

“And One Direction – my God, they’re just five *teenagers. They don’t know what life is. I wouldn’t go to a concert by One Direction. And Cher Lloyd is just a rap thing.”

Wagner, from Dudley, West Midlands, had well-*publicised spats with the other contestants while *living in the X Factor house and towards the end moved out to stay in a hotel.

He complained that the bitchy in-fighting drove him mad and that in particular he clashed with show *favourite Matt.

Advertisement - article continues below »

Wagner shook his head and said sadly: “I don’t know who will win. It could be Matt but I wouldn’t like him to win. All I know is that he doesn’t talk to anybody and that he was in the papers for saying that Katie *Waissel was an attention-seeking ****.

“I asked Matt if he had said that and he said he had. I thought, ‘Oh this guy is immature and he is nasty.

Gentlemanly Wagner, who politely covers his mouth every time he coughs, will not swear when a woman is present, preferring to spell the words instead.

He reported: “Then I found out Matt was saying to the papers I was an ‘effing joke’. He said I was ‘Ess-Aitch-Eye-Tee’. I said, ‘Matt, what are you trying to say?’ He said the word ‘eff’ so many times.

“I said to him, ‘Okay, you’re entitled to your opinion. What a good opinion you have about yourself. You think you are some kind of Pavarotti but you don’t even sing like a man.

“You sing like a baby screaming to have its nappy changed’. He was shocked but he carried on swearing and then left.”

Another reason for his clash with Matt – likened by Dermot O’Leary to “a lion playing with a cub” – was that *Wagner felt the younger man was being given “better” songs to sing.

He even said that his mentor Louis Walsh was trying to turn him into a *national joke by making him sing “silly” songs like Creep, by Radiohead.

“They did it to make me look stupid but they didn’t expect me to sing that well. The idea was to make me look bad with the lyrics. Like me confessing, ‘I’m a creep, a weirdo’.”

Wagner said he put his heart and soul into his singing but it was impossible to do so with some of the material he was made to perform – and then burst into song to prove his point.

He said: “I think the idea was to make me look inadequate but I changed it around because I sang it very well. I don’t want to do bouncy songs, I only wanted to do meaningful songs. There was no connection with the audience with those other songs, I could feel it.”

After his short performance the night before at Brighton’s gay *nightclub *Revenge, Wagner met *hundreds of clubbers (male and female) all *desperate for a picture or a kiss.

He signed his autograph on their arms and chests and happily coped with being mauled by his fans, although he was more comfortable when dealing with attention from the girls – in fact he was only too keen to grab their heads for a quick kiss.

But divorced Wagner, 54 – who lives alone with his cat and is fighting a battle to see his three-year-old son *Cassius – says he will never have a fling with one of his new groupies.

He said: “I think I will find that if I took them aside and spoke with them and chatted for half an hour, the interest would be gone. I am sure they don’t want me. I mean some of them are 19, 18, 20. They are like, ‘Ah, Wagner, Wagner’. But they love what they saw, not Wagner himself.”

Then he laughed and said: “Maybe if I was 20 years younger, then yes.

“You see, I love Sarah Brightman (the singer) and if she was in front of me I’d go, ‘Wow, I love you, Sarah’ but if I were to chat with her I’d probably find she’s not the person for me. That’s what *happens with the girls.”

When I pointed out that One Direction were making the most of all their *groupies, Wagner scoffed: “One Direction are just boys. I don’t think they know the difference between love and sexual *attraction. They’re just kids.”

Wagner yawned and *announced he had to visit another three nightclubs that evening as part of his hastily-arranged UK tour, which he will continue until February before joining the X Factor tour for the rest of the year.

He said he kept his spirits up while on the road with regular doses of the Wagner parody character called Wagbo on Harry Hill’s TV Burp.

He boasted: “I think Wagbo’s *hilarious. I have seen all of the episodes. He’s *brilliant.”

Ever the gentleman, as I left Wagner kissed my hand, said what a pleasure it had been to meet me, then went back to his room for a mid-morning snooze.

link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2010/12/05/x-factor-judges-mocked-me-but-i-ll-be-big-star-says-wagner-115875-22762272/

Comments

• BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the only X-Factor contestant who has 'got' what the show is all about while still being in it. And with the intelligence and the wit to outplay the people who were playing him. Now where are all those people saying he was being made a fool of, and didn't know what was going on?
    “You sing like a baby screaming to have its nappy changed’. He was shocked but he carried on swearing and then left.”

Brilliant.

Lord Wagner you were SORELY missed last night, but you are the star of the show this year and well-deserved.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The bit about Curdle screaming like a baby was my favourite quote too :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What surprises me is turns out almost everything that's published in 'rubbish' newspapers such as the Mail and the Sun are true. People never believe those articles, but Wagner just confirmed most of the rumours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bless him. I love Wagner.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real winner :)
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,265
    Forum Member
    The bit about Curdle screaming like a baby was my favourite quote too :D

lmao :D
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bananafish wrote: »
    Probably the only X-Factor contestant who has 'got' what the show is all about while still being in it. And with the intelligence and the wit to outplay the people who were playing him. Now where are all those people saying he was being made a fool of, and didn't know what was going on?

Brilliant.

Lord Wagner you were SORELY missed last night, but you are the star of the show this year and well-deserved.

My God, a contestant who has their feet firmly planted on the ground.

Only objection I'd have is the underlying view from Wagner that he can sing, when of course he can't.

Everything else in the article speaks volumes about his self-awareness and him understanding fully what a joke X Factor is.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brussels wrote: »
    What surprises me is turns out almost everything that's published in 'rubbish' newspapers such as the Mail and the Sun are true. People never believe those articles, but Wagner just confirmed most of the rumours.

Or could it be that Wagner himself has a bit of an agenda here? The part that sent alarm bells ringing was:

Wagner shook his head and said sadly: “I don’t know who will win. It could be Matt but I wouldn’t like him to win. All I know is that he doesn’t talk to anybody and that he was in the papers for saying that Katie *Waissel was an attention-seeking ****.

This is patently untrue; lots of the X Factor contestants (still in and evicted) clearly really like Matt and talk to him lots. Wagner, meanwhile, moved himself out of the house because he wasn't getting on with many (if any) of them.

Can we maybe just agree that neither Wagner or Matt are angels, but it's pointless to just believe one side of the story?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brussels wrote: »

Regarding the stories from behind the scenes of the show, while spun or whatever it was quite obvious they tied up with the personalities we'd seen on display. I think people who 'got' Wagner, and his knowing sense of humour, could also see the contrast in how the other contestants were treating the show.

Matt, Cher, Katie, they are not that likeable people and their character flaws are exposed by their willingness to take a show like X-Factor so seriously. It exposes their own desperation for fame, and their own belief in their own abilities.

As far as media reports go, most will be leaked by the X-Factor PR machine itself and they are not creative enough to come out with complete fiction so there will be an element of truth to it. Even if it's spun or exaggerated. As the weeks went on, much like Big Brother, you just get more and more bits of the jigsaw.

The only 'protected' ones as far as the show goes are One Direction, because they are seen as a genuine cashcow by Cowell, everyone else is expendable. Cher and Katie were protected to a degree, but both seen as unmanageable. Matt you get the impression they genuinely aren't bothered about one way or the other. Cowell's "I don't think people care" was quite a double-edged complement last night, and I think said more about his views about Matt. Rebecca seems a lovely girl, and flown under the radar of all the drama, but then that radar-ducking also hampers her performances on the show.

Wagner was obviously seen as highly expendable nearing the end of his run, but the way he handled it all was sheer class.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He comes across as pretty level headed and down to earth for me, makes some very pertinent points.
  • lovecat86lovecat86 Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I love what he said about Matt re: baby screaming! Matt is awful! Perhaps it's just the rest of the contestants that make him so popular, as in comparison he looks good?? Put him next to Paolo Nuttini, James Morrisson, Jason Mraz, or even James Blunt and I bet he wouldn't fair very favourably.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Or could it be that Wagner himself has a bit of an agenda here? The part that sent alarm bells ringing was:

This is patently untrue; lots of the X Factor contestants (still in and evicted) clearly really like Matt and talk to him lots. Wagner, meanwhile, moved himself out of the house because he wasn't getting on with many (if any) of them.

Can we maybe just agree that neither Wagner or Matt are angels, but it's pointless to just believe one side of the story?

In a house full of people taking a show very seriously, and slapping each other on the backs about how good they are, I'd be more inclined to believe the only person who has demonstrated he could see the show and the manipulation for what it was while still in it ;)

Of course he would rub the other people up the wrong way, he was popping the bubble which is created by the judges comments and the show's narrative week in week out.

He was the only one with his feet on the ground, seeing the show for what it was, and making the most of his time on it. Even while he was being torn down at every opportunity by the media, the contestants, the audience and the judges, he still managed to enjoy himself and realised how to make the best of this opportunity.

Much respect for the Wagner.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    He doesn't seem to have super-nice things to say about everyone (if he DID say all that) but on the other hand well done to him for telling it how he sees it :D (Again, if he did say it).
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wags, as the true fans knew, was fully aware of what was going on around him and played the game well. He was the one that made the show this year, not bores like cardle and talentless tweenies like wand errection! Go wags!
  • NightFallsNightFalls Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    This idiot has to face the other contestants for the live tour, did he not think about this before opening his gob!? He will be another Chico, it will last 5 minutes and then he will be forgotton once the X factor show has finished.
    Forum Member
    “I said to him, ‘Okay, you’re entitled to your opinion. What a good opinion you have about yourself. You think you are some kind of Pavarotti but you don’t even sing like a man.

“You sing like a baby screaming to have its nappy changed’

Ouch :D That made me LOL :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NightFalls wrote: »
    This idiot has to face the other contestants for the live tour, did he not think about this before opening his gob!? He will be another Chico, it will last 5 minutes and then he will be forgotton once the X factor show has finished.

According to reports, the other contestants aren't that close to him anyway, so I doubt that changes anything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NightFalls wrote: »

I think it's them who will be worried about facing him to be honest.

And people will be buying Wagner drinks in every pub he walks into for the rest of his life. It's good you are trying to look out for him though, if rather patronising ;)
    Forum Member
    Saying he will be "a big star" doesnt sound like Wags though, I thought he just wanted a career in showbusiness and didnt think he would win.
    Forum Member
    Why is Wags giving an interview now? I thought he was banned from speaking?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Saying he will be "a big star" doesnt sound like Wags though, I thought he just wanted a career in showbusiness and didnt think he would win.

He just said he thinks he might have a career at the end of it because he'll be remembered. Career in showbusiness fits with what he said on the show.

It's the Mirror's summary of the article that uses the word star.
  • Born lippyBorn lippy Posts: 2,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What can I even say? After reading that, my lust for him is turning into loaf! I loved the whole thing, like many others, especially the bit about Matt singing like a baby who needs his nappy changing - HA! Too damn true!

What a truly fantastic guy. So much for him being a perv - he's been having to gently reject a lot of gorgeous girls throwing themselves at him by the sounds of it!

I couldn't agree more with him about the others not having any charisma. I was round at a neighbour's yesterday, and she flicked the channel over to the X factor. When they showed the beginning bit, I literally had to leave the house - I felt defletd and depressed at the sight of the other contestants. It's such a shame. it was something I really used to look forward to of a weekend. Those "judges" actually inspire hatred and nausea in me now, I can't imagine how Wagner is so calm and controlled in his conduct. The X factor have seriously shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Wags.

How many of you switched off last night?
    Forum Member
    Seems Wagner understands the difference between real love and sexual attraction, and he made some great points in that interview. I dont think he was nasty, he just said what he thought - and may have been responding to questions - eg "Do you think Mary will go?" "She's gone", he praised Rebecca which is good. :)
    Forum Member
    I don't think they will get rid of "joke" contestants next year. I love the "great" singers but characters like Wags, Jedward, Katie, Chico make the show too IMO :D Without them, it wouldnt be the same.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cue the Wagner fans saying "he's just telling the truth" and "he's speaking his mind" and "at least he's being honest".

Apparently, Matt "slagging off" other contestants is wrong, yet when Wagner does it I'm sure it's all "Oh I love Wagner" :rolleyes:

Wagner saying that Matt isn't a nice character, well I think Wagner is proving himself not to be also if saying negative things to the press is the rule there.