Options

The "can't wait for series 8" thread

AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thought I'd start this up to fill the large Tardis shaped hole in my life - am I the only one that actually can't wait for more Doctor Who?

August is just so far away...

Comments

• Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Oh no! I definitely cannot wait...

I'm very looking forward to meeting the new Doctor properly.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to it immensely. It really does feel like a fresh start for the show, and not just because there's a new Doctor (and, potentially, a GREAT new Doctor).

I'm personally really pleased all the 11th Doctor story arcs have (hopefully) been concluded, and the 'search for Gallifrey' story sounds intriguing!

I'm really pleased the show's back without those infuriating 'mid-season breaks' and potentially some consistency again in when it is broadcast.

While I would personally prefer a return to the spring, knowing it will start every autumn is good enough for me!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'm really pleased the show's back without those infuriating 'mid-season breaks' and potentially some consistency again in when it is broadcast.

Yes! The mid-season breaks really did tamper with my enjoyment and really happy that we're getting a series that isn't interrupted again.

Also really excited for Peter Capaldi who just seems to mould into any role he's given so, so well.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it immensely. It really does feel like a fresh start for the show, and not just because there's a new Doctor (and, potentially, a GREAT new Doctor).

I'm personally really pleased all the 11th Doctor story arcs have (hopefully) been concluded, and the 'search for Gallifrey' story sounds intriguing!

While I would personally prefer a return to the spring, knowing it will start every autumn is good enough for me!
    I agree. As someone only introduced to who in 2005 spring just feels right and the last few years having easter not either having who on or knowing it was on soon have been strange when we had gotten used to that set up, but as you say, as long as they set the precedent with this series that it will always be august/september with a straight run then it would still be nice to at least have a sense of consistency again.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **waves at Andy**

Yep, looking forward to this every bit as much as Series Fnarg, only the wait is longer this time.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I'm not that excited. I think I'm getting used to there being no Doctor Who on TV.
    As soon as they release a full Series 8 trailer, I'm willing to bet this will change pretty quickly. Hopefully we can expect one towards the end of this month/beginning of next month.

My biggest hope though is a return to consistency with Capaldi's era. I don't care what time of year it's on, but I want it to be on at the same time of year, every year and I don't want to see any more split series or series spread out across two years for the next while at least.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *does the Doctor Who Series 8 Dance*
  • Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to it. I'm glad that it's autumn and not spring, feels like the natural time for Doctor Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Really really really looking forward to it and as QuantumLeap said Autumn feels the natural time for Who <joins in the series 8 dance>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think 'what feels natural' in terms of spring or autumn start depends on age, being that those who remember classic who first time around feel autumn is natural whereas those of us drawn in by the new series feel spring is more natural.
  • Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think 'what feels natural' in terms of spring or autumn start depends on age, being that those who remember classic who first time around feel autumn is natural whereas those of us drawn in by the new series feel spring is more natural.

Not really DB. I'm from the missing generation who didn't have Doctor Who in our childhood. I came to Who in 2005.
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    *waves at Andy* :)

Oh, I can't wait! I've been a fan of Capaldi for years and I was thrilled when he was announced as the 12th Doctor. I can't wait to see what he'll bring to the role. I really like Jenna as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing them interact in the series. Plus, it's great news that Series 8 won't be split.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd start this up to fill the large Tardis shaped hole in my life - am I the only one that actually can't wait for more Doctor Who?

August is just so far away...

It's only about 11, maybe 12 weeks now, until the programme resumes with a whole new batch of episodes. :D

That would take us, by my calculation, up to the third week in August at the earliest. :)

By then, hopefully, we will have had a proper trailer, instead of the mediocre one showing a dark outline of the Twelfth Doctor with the Tardis console behind him.
  • Options
    Stewie_WStewie_W Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I can understand the move to autumn and the darker nights etc. but what I liked about the Spring season was that it decreased the gap between the Christmas Special and the next season, whereas with the move to autumn we will have a longer wait each year between Christmas and its return.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it but as usual, it's laced with a certain amount of caution after some of the dross of the last few years. Looking forward to see Capaldi in the role and all the new changes I've been reading about.

As for an Autumn run, I was brought up on all sorts of different times of year for the show to run so it makes no difference to me. Saying that I do prefer the Easter/March starts we used to have as it broke the gap between Xmas and a New Series and Vice Versa.

:)
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it but as usual, it's laced with a certain amount of caution after some of the dross of the last few years. Looking forward to see Capaldi in the role and all the new changes I've been reading about.

As for an Autumn run, I was brought up on all sorts of different times of year for the show to run so it makes no difference to me. Saying that I do prefer the Easter/March starts we used to have as it broke the gap between Xmas and a New Series and Vice Versa.

:)

I also preferred the Easter starts as it felt like Doctor Who was an Event with few other programmes making it's mark. I felt the show stood out more. In Autumn with The X Factor and Atlantis looming up ahead, I personally feel it won't stand out as much as it should do. Hence why 2011 and 2012 Autumn series weren't as good as they should have been.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for Series 8 too.
  • Options
    DarksiderDarksider Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Very much looking forward to it and seeing Capaldi in action.
    CD93 wrote: »
    *does the Doctor Who Series 8 Dance*

Is this the series 8 dance by any chance? :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really DB. I'm from the missing generation who didn't have Doctor Who in our childhood. I came to Who in 2005.
    Fair enough, I assumed wrong. It's just that I'm from that same generation and the fact we started for the first few years with it always in spring is what makes me feel spring is it's natural place so I thought it was the same for others.
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to see Capaldi's portrayal and Clara's reaction alongside him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all honesty, I have lost all hype for the show at the moment. :( I know that'll change closer to the time, but it's been so long since season 7, and even longer since we had a full season, that I honestly keep finding myself forgetting that it's coming back :/
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught Danny Cohen on the box, bigging up Saturday nights on the BBC because Peter Capaldi is coming.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted this in another thread, but equally apt here:

http://www.kasterborous.com/2014/06/...-trailer-ever/