Options

Moffat's Best Episode

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of them deserve to be here because even 'not-so-good' Moffat's stories are very good compared to average stories...
    Anyway, here is my top 5:

1. Listen
    2. Pandorica Opens / Big Bang
    3. The Snowmen
    4. Blink
    5. The Name of the Doctor

Honorable mentions to: The Day of the Doctor, Library two-parter, The Girl in the Fireplace, Eleventh Hour, Astronaut two-parter...
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    As said before, Girl In The Fireplace - and I'll probably be lynched for it but it's such a lovely bittersweet episode.

I'll be lynched with you then - I love this episode. I love the two leads, and I even love Rose and Mickey - and the horse. :)

In fact I love nearly all the episodes mentioned on this thread, though, oddly, I've gone off Blink a bit. This series, Listen just knocked my socks off.
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    I'll be lynched with you then - I love this episode. I love the two leads, and I even love Rose and Mickey - and the horse. :)

In fact I love nearly all the episodes mentioned on this thread, though, oddly, I've gone off Blink a bit. This series, Listen just knocked my socks off.

My favourite too, it is the episode I still get the same amount of joy than when I first watched it. The horse, Tennant's pretend drunk scene, the soundtrack are all among many others excellent. I just think it is such a beautifully crafted episode all round.

After this one I like all his stories/episodes before he became head writer/show runner, Asylum of the Daleks is a cracker from his later episodes.
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh good it's nice to be agreed with :-). Yeah The Girl in the Fireplace pretty much floors me every time I see it. I'm not too crazy about Rose in this episode and Tennant's drunk acting sort of annoys me now but it all doesn't really matter in comparison to the crux of the actual story. And that is the connection that The Doctor and Reinette had. Even though it all happened so fast you still felt the weight of what they meant to each other, and that's not easy to do. You believed every word.

And Listen, well, for me it's the perfect Doctor Who episode. Such a wonderful idea and absolutely brilliantly acted. Jenna Coleman made it for me, she gave me goosebumps in that barn and I feel exactly the same with every rewatch. And I've rewatched it a lot! The Doctor chasing an irrational fear is a genius idea. Moffat can get away with River Song ridiculousness as long as he still has the ability to write like this.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    And that is the connection that The Doctor and Reinette had. Even though it all happened so fast you still felt the weight of what they meant to each other, and that's not easy to do. You believed every word.

I believe I read somewhere (probably on here!) that Tennant and Sophie Myles were actually an item at the time of filming. They certainly had some chemistry going there. :)
  • Options
    jodojodo Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    Hard to choose a favourite two-parter although I think 'Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead' just takes it for me as idea, plot, execution and characterisation are all top drawer.

As for single episode I never tire of 'the Girl in the Fireplace'.

When he hits the mark Moffat is very hard to beat and even when he doesn't his episodes are always interesting (apart from The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe which was dreadful in all aspects).
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've mentioned elsewhere, but it's only fair i join the 'official' thread. So, in descending order:

The Day of the Doctor
    (The Night of the Doctor)
    The Time of Angels (but not Flesh and Stone)
    Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
    The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances on a par with The Girl in the Fireplace