How long left for Tiscali TV?

Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had a call from TalkTalk today and was told that they don't do TV (which is odd as they are selling it on their website) and that our Tiscali boxes will become freeview boxes and I should sign up with a TalkTalk package.

And given that TalkTalk have announced that they're not investing in Tiscali TV how long do you think the service will last for?

Not in a Sky broadband area so I can't sign up for a cheap deal with them, so looks like it's going to be back to freeview with no Sky 1, FX or comedy central. :(

Comments

• parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see TV on their site under Products :confused:

http://broadband.talktalk.co.uk/

But I'm not the most observant :o

I suppose there must be small print in our contracts saying that we haven't got a leg to stand on :cry:

parthena
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    http://www.talktalk.co.uk/products/tvextra/

Whats this? found in 2 seconds with a search on google with "Talktalk tv"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't Google, I just looked under Products on the TalkTalk.co.uk site. But I'm happy to have given you a glow of superiority, vangeezer ;)

parthena
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    TalkTalk have joined Canvas (there is a thread on here about that), so I would assume that they are looking to keep with IPTV, otherwise Canvas for them would be a waste of time.
    I think the OPs mis-informed call was just the age old problem of rubbish call centre staff.
    Forum Member
    parthena wrote: »
    I didn't Google, I just looked under Products on the TalkTalk.co.uk site. But I'm happy to have given you a glow of superiority, vangeezer ;)

parthena

and I'm always happy to instruct you on the correct use of tinternet.:)
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kuznets wrote: »
    TalkTalk have joined Canvas (there is a thread on here about that), so I would assume that they are looking to keep with IPTV, otherwise Canvas for them would be a waste of time.
    I think the OPs mis-informed call was just the age old problem of rubbish call centre staff.
    From other threads seems the Tiscali TV service desk is being kept seperate from the TalkTalk broadband service desk, maybe until more training is given?

As an AOL broadband customer and after being told they will not offer TalkTalk TV to me, having looking at alternatives and deciding to keep to Sky TV with a set upgrade, the Sky helpdesk is very good and the guy I spoke said they were being given demos of the new 3D system.
    You do not have to have Sky broadband with Sky TV!

After having major problems a few years ago seems TalkTalk TV expansion might be being held back and low key until they get their networks, sales and service team sorted, hopefully up to Sky's standard!

But for TalkTalk to treat existing Tiscali TV customers with misinformation and suggest going to Freeview is bad!
    There seems to be a number for the existing TV service 0800 107 9000
    https://www.talktalk.co.uk/members/myaccount/upgrade/upgrade.html
    This offer is currently only available to existing Tiscali Broadband customers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect they will eventually close the existing service down migrating existing Tiscali TV customers onto a hybrid DTT/VOD model by taking basic Freeview channels and adding on-demand programming through a broadband connection. So the OP is probably correct, no more Sky 1 etc., especially given Sky's strong opposition to Canvas.

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-carphone-warehouse-no-tv-push-until-canvas-is-ready/

CEO Charles Dunstone said: “It would be foolhardy to deliver our own TV proposition against Freeview, Sky and Virgin. We have to accept our heritage is not in TV.

“We have a much better chance of succeeding alongside the PSBs with [Project] Canvas when it is ready... It would be much more foolhardy to go and invest money in a product I’m not sure we could make competitive.”

“It’s very early days…We’ve signed up to say if Canvas comes into being we would be a part of it. At this stage we haven’t made any decisions or commented on what we would sell, for example moving Tiscali services…We will update plans on Canvas as its future is more certain.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    One of the reasons we have stuck with this service is that we can't get freeview or have a dish on our building.. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flashdisk wrote: »
    I expect they will eventually close the existing service down migrating existing Tiscali TV customers onto a hybrid DTT/VOD model by taking basic Freeview channels and adding on-demand programming through a broadband connection. So the OP is probably correct, no more Sky 1 etc., especially given Sky's strong opposition to Canvas.
    The TalkTalk TV service is still on sale (at low profile) on the website with Sky 1,2 and 3 still in the variety pack. Which is basically TalkTalk essentials at £6.99 with £11.25 line rental and therfore £8.23 pm for the IPTV service.
    This is higher than Tiscali charged, but still cheaper than basic Sky TV (£18 pm), but we don't know what the contract between Sky and Tiscali was for the channels. BT Vision think the price for Sky wants for it's channels is too high and Tiscali might have been paying too much for the Sky channels running at a loss for the 70,000 (estimated) Tiscali TV subscribers!

From paidcontent does not sound as if Charles Dunstone wants to have a fight with Sky over TV and may keep the TalkTalk TV service and Canvas low key and concentrate on broadband and phone provision!!. Especially as TalkTalk/AOL still needs to improve customer services!!.
    Guess it might also depend if BT and Virgin maybe gets the soon to be announced Ofcom pay TV ruling in their favour to carry Sky channels at a lower cost!

However BT, VM and Sky are now pushing "triple play" bundles heavily, so TalkTalk/AOL may not want to wait too long before getting the new TV service on the Canvas platform where any Canvas enabled STB or TV can be used rather than the current Talktalk+ PVR!
  • ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    We had an engineer call (somewhat unexpectedly as it transpired) on Saturday to look into an Internet/router problem and I took the opportunity to ask him what was likely to happen, TV-wise.

He told me that he had three installations that morning and had a regular number scheduled for the coming few weeks - as far as he was concerned at least, the service is still being sold..

It's just an opinion this, but it would seem logical for Talk Talk to keep the existing service going until some consensus is reached on Canvas, especially since the infrastructure exists and is generally working well.

Once they've integrated the Tiscali, Talk Talk & AOL networks, they'll no doubt have a better idea of what they're dealing with and will be able to make a more informed decision on which way to go.

Either way though, I fear it'll turn into a predominately on-demand service with Freeview only, which would be a great shame as I personally like watching the additional channels 'off-air' as well as being able to stream OD stuff. :(

To my mind, this is what makes Tiscali/TalkTalk such a unique service & I really hope that they realise this.

Regards,

DW.
  • iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I'm really, really sorry to do this, but I've gone over to the dark side (i.e. Sky). I've always thought Homechoice/Tiscali/TT had a great product. I've been waiting patiently for HD for a couple of years now, and I'm no further on. I go over to Sky on Saturday on a year's contract simply because of the HD content they offer. I guess I'll wait until Canvas is up and running and then see what TT are offering for their TV service. I just wish they would be more open and honest with their plans (or lack of) for the brilliant TV service they've always offered - with the exception of HD. So I may be back in around 12 months ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Seriously, you're transferring to Sky simply for their HD content?! If you're otherwise a fan of Tiscali/TalkTalk's TV service, HD is a very strange reason to leave and go to Sky.
  • iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Yes, I have the kit, and I would like to see programmes and films etc. in HD! It's going to cost me double what I've been paying, but after 2 years or so faffing around, I know that I'll get what I want when the sky box is installed tomorrow. Simples:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you'll be able to pop back and tell us the pros and cons after you've got a bit of experience under your belt :)

parthena
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Talk, the telecoms company due to gain a stock market listing in March, is planning to launch new television and mobile phone services in an effort to mount a stronger challenge to its rivals.

Talk Talk is likely to become a fully fledged TV operator in early 2011.

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/9170d9e6-0cd7-11df-b8eb-00144feabdc0.html

www.cpwplc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=123964&p=irol-demerger
  • joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The owners of this service need to understand that there is a significant minority which genuinely does not have a freeview signal, lives in flats with no dish possible and not in a cabled area. If they kill the live IPTV channels they kill TV for us, never mind killing what should be the best broadcasting medium in the UK.

The innovators who set up Video Networks [Homechoice] are likely spinning in their professional graves already, given how little subsequent owners have invested in or promoted what is already a good product, could be a great one, and deserves to be popular amongst more than just a niche in the know.

Talk Talk and Tiscali before them have no business whining about how their 'heritage is not in TV': they bought a company with a TV element so have a responsibility to its current customers and should have the competitive balls to popularise and innovate it rather than quaking in Rupert Murdoch's ugly shadow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joshua321 wrote: »
    Talk Talk and Tiscali before them have no business whining about how their 'heritage is not in TV': they bought a company with a TV element so have a responsibility to its current customers and should have the competitive balls to popularise and innovate it rather than quaking in Rupert Murdoch's ugly shadow.
    Although FT does not mention that the current Tiscali/Talktalk TV is a fully working system, I guess from YalkTalk's view is that it does need quite a bit of investment especially in customer service, advertising and HD (which means better networks), before expanding the TV service!
    The current system also probably is losing money so they will want to trim costs to get a good return for their money which may mean renegocating content deals with VM, Sky and others!

They also seem to want to get the demerger from CPW sorted as a priority!

Interesting item in the Times about Sky which is relavent!
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article7005769.ece
    The new HD product also boosted customer loyalty. Churn, the percentage of Sky customers who dropped their subscription, was at 9.6 per cent, lower than analysts had forecast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Great news! From "The A Register" website:

Charles Dunstone, CEO of Carphone Warehouse, hasn't given up on the dream of being a quad-player, after revealing plans to launch TV and mobile TalkTalk services.

The details came during a call following up on announced plans to split Carphone Warehouse into two companies - TalkTalk and New Carphone Warehouse, as reported by the Financial Times. TalkTalk will launch a Canvas-based TV service, and look to become an MVNO, over then next year or two.

The TV service comes as no surprise - Carphone Warehouse inherited a successful TV service when it bought Tiscali, and, after leaving staff in suspense for a week or two, decided to invest in the service with a view to becoming a TV provider.

TalkTalk has a lot more unbundled exchanges than Tiscali ever had, which opens up a whole lot more potential customers for the TV service - only unbundled exchanges can offer the guaranteed quality of service necessary for streamed TV. Just to emphasis that commitment, TalkTalk has signed up to Project Canvas - the standard streamed-TV platform - with promises of a rapid migration.

Launching a Mobile Virtual Network Operator is also no great surprise. Buying network capacity in bulk and reselling under your own brand works well if your brand is big enough to negotiate hard with the network operators. Virgin and Tesco have very successful MVNOs, but it would have been difficult for Carphone Warehouse to have operated an MVNO while claiming to be independent and selling contracts on the other networks. This problem would disappear with the forthcoming division.

These offerings will make TalkTalk into a "quad player" - offering fixed and mobile telephony as well as TV and broadband. It is what one needs to be these days to be taken seriously as a provider of consumer services.

Here's the page link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/01/talk_talk_tv/

Now start advertising the product please TT! ;)
    Forum Member
    posted this on other thread but just for info: my auntie was a tiscali customer (as am I) she phoned them today to inform of new address and they told her that the tv service is being discontinued. She cancelled contract. I just tried to phone them for clarification but nobody there until monday, grr!
    Forum Member
    Padame12 wrote: »
    posted this on other thread but just for info: my auntie was a tiscali customer (as am I) she phoned them today to inform of new address and they told her that the tv service is being discontinued. She cancelled contract. I just tried to phone them for clarification but nobody there until monday, grr!

Yes but if your auntie is moving home then presumably re-setting her up with TalkTalk TV would constitute a "new customer" at least in so far as the installation etc. with a new phone line is concerned. And we already know that TalkTalk are not giving the TV service to new customers at the moment.

So your comment isn't really adding anything, it's just another example of sales staff using the word "discontinued" when we don't really know what they mean, quite possibly there is just confusion among the call centre staff? If the service is being completely discontinued, why hasn't anything official been announced? Furthermore, why have TT rebranded everything and joined the Canvas group? Not the actions of a company just planning on ditching the product.

All the indications are that things are unaffected for existing customers - I guess in so far as having the service is concerned it's just not a good time to move house! So your auntie is unlucky in that regard.

But unless these kind of comments can be fleshed out with specifics I think they're unhelpful scaremongering personally.

It would be useful if someone from TalkTalk could come here to fully clarify the situation, of course.
    Forum Member
    mabye the tiscali+ box does not fit into the Project canvas
    hardware standard and so it would be pointles for TT to buy more Telsey boxes to suppy new customers when they would have to change them all in the future,seems like good business practise to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Padame12 wrote: »

Or is your Auntie moving out of the IPTV catchment area?

Brett
    Forum Member
    hi!

No she lives in sheltered housing and is moving from an upstairs flat in one block to a downstairs block not 2 minutes walk away, due to disability.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    PM me the number Padame12 - I'll take a look,

Kind Regards
    Forum Member
    Will do, but Sky are installing on Weds anyway.:o