Options

My Hypothesis/Speculation as to how it all ends: (Possible SPOILERS)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I liked the thing about the duckpond still being a duckpond without ducks.

This links me to answering another questions.

Maybe Amy is still Amy even without her parents? Maybe they were erased? The existed once and 'made' Amy then they disappear but she remains.

I don't know i'm just getting it out there. :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RE: the duck pond to quote the Two in The Mind Robber: "When is a door, not a door....when it's a jar".

The Other is a creation of the virgin new adventures and as such is, I think, there for out of bounds because of the BBC charter.

The Other is fanw*** at it worst, it totaly kills the Doctor's character, it turns him into a God like figure, even more so than RTD did.

Amy was going to marry Rory not the Doctor.

The Valeyard, to quote Ten, "No, just... no".
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Other is fanw*** at it worst, it totaly kills the Doctor's character, it turns him into a God like figure, even more so than RTD did.

The Other as written in the books, sure. But the series had already been laying the foundations for such a revelation.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I missing a hidden paragraph in this post? Only it doesn't actually seem to be a theory or a hypothosis merely a long list of unanswered questions? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Other as written in the books, sure. But the series had already been laying the foundations for such a revelation.

Cartmel has always said there was no "masterplan" and it was he himself who, IIRC, turned down the script for Lungbarrow because it went too far. As much as I love 80's (Six & Seven being the Doctors I grew-up watching) & 90's Who, the stuff with the Other being the Doctor was, for me, a poor attempt to give the Doctor a background he doesn't need, get joe public to read the Other's Wiki page, tell them that's going to be on TV and the show would sink like a stone.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_dimensions_of_the_Discworld#Parasite_universe

I was quite impressed with this find (which comes from Terry Pratchetts Discworld), although I am happy to admit it isn't my own but that of DS Poster Hajua. It may answer a few questions about the series finale as it all seems to be mentioned.... fairytales, duck ponds, dreams within dreams, stone circles..... :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    The Greek tale of Pandora's box.
    Pandora opens the box with all the chaos in it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box
    All that is left is hope.

On this subject, the doc tells Van Gogh that 'surprisingly, in my experience, there is always hope left' or some such. VG says 'then your experience is incomplete'...hmm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On this subject, the doc tells Van Gogh that 'surprisingly, in my experience, there is always hope left' or some such. VG says 'then your experience is incomplete'...hmm...

Good catch :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RE: the duck pond to quote the Two in The Mind Robber: "When is a door, not a door....when it's a jar".

When is a duck pond not a duck pond ...when it's merely a pond !

Did you notice the M 'O in the gallery scenes ?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    When is a duck pond not a duck pond ...when it's merely a pond !

Did you notice the M 'O in the gallery scenes ?

Not sure what you're trying to imply there, but it's just the logo of the museum...

http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thats an interesting thought, especially given VG did seem to have a bit of a sixth sense as it were....
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

I'm torn on this one. It may end up being an effective piece of foreboding, but upon viewing, second viewing and initial reaction to the quote in question, I saw it as just Van Gogh saying that believing the Doctor to be a young man who has not witnessed the harshness of life.

On the other hand, it does fit in nicely with another bit of potential foreboding in the script from that scene....

"And it will not end well....."