Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever had tickets to the side of the table Eleanor....preferably near the front at the business end of the table around the black spot? I'd imagine that's a great spot to occupy, especially in the tightness of the two table situation!

Either that or sat directly behind the players seats, that'd be my spot of choice :)

You just want to get on telly, TC!:D
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    You just want to get on telly, TC!:D
    Well it worked last year :p
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it worked last year :p

It did, thats what got me my licence rebate :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It did, thats what got me my licence rebate :D
    :D

Says the man with the perfect face for radio :p
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep :D I've pretty much sat all over the auditorium, and I really believe there isn't a bad seat in the Crucible anywhere.

I was once front row centre on the aisle, right behind the baulk line for the semi, right behind where they break from. It was for Ronnie-Dott, and I was VERY excited. But sadly it was a morning session, and the year that Ronnie wasn't concentrating, and wee Dott won the session 8-0, and Ronnie spent most of the session picking his fingers and pulling faces at the camera. I was also once front row at the very side for a semi, that was Murphy and Matthew Stevens, and unfortunately I had a very close up view of Smurphy's sparklypants (remember his glam evening outfit that he'd apparently spent the entire off season planning?). I once had the very end seat on the front row, right round by the side of the black pocket - that was cool, although I was behind the cameraman for a lot of the time. That was mixed - sometimes I couldn't see the pocket over the camera, but I could also see the camera screen and see what was on the telly, including the zoom.

I've sat near the players' seats, but I found that a bit distracting, because I kept looking at them rather than at the table, and I was paranoid that I'd distract them.

Remember a few years back when there was a streaker in the final? He was sitting in front of me, about three rows back. I was thinking how it was odd that this guy had come in cloak, and assumed it was some sort of Ray Reardon thing, but then he ripped his cloak off and leapt up and over the barrier and ran around... that was fun.

I think my favourite place to sit would be side on to the table, around the blue spot, maybe about four or five rows back. I seem to have seen a lot of sessions from around there, mostly accidentaly. I've rarely had the chance to choose my seat.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Rishi Persad has said on Twitter that there will be full red button coverage of the Worlds. So it looks like the BBC schedule was indeed wrong. Thought it seemed a little strange!

That sounds positive. :) The WC and the Beeb go hand in hand. It wouldn't have been the same without their usual coverage.
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    There are often returns and so on on the day - which is great if you live nearby!

I remember ringing up one day and getting a couple of returns for the day after - and I just so happened to be off work, so it was good all round and I could just go and get a ticket.

Like you said, there's not really a bad seat at the Crucible as such. I do like four or five rows back, side on to the blue spot. If it's a two table situation you can concentrate on the table in hand and get a good view of the table. I had that sort of view for Mark Allen's 146 break and it proved to be very worthwhile. Front row side on is also pretty good if you want to get on the telly, mind you :)

As for me this year, I'll be going, but not as much as last year, primarily because the holiday year finishes the Friday after Easter Monday, and so I'd be taking leave out of next year's leave, which I need for heading to a few Olympic events later in the year (mainly the football). However I did get a ticket for Saturday 28th morning session, which is scheduled to be the last session of (if seedings go to plan) Dott v Maguire, and of course you'll always have the other table as backup if it finishes early.

I'll keep checking for the first day though as I wouldn't mind going to that (any session) and may also do some evening sessions as it's doable after work from Manchester straight to Sheffield and then to the Crucible - just depends on what's available really. It's always worth a quick phone call to check for any returns though, as the website doesn't always update as quickly...
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One final thing - the Snooker Legends are coming to the Crucible on Friday 13th April. It's a special night with Stephen Hendry v Jimmy White - be like all those 1990s finals on the telly :) Michaela is refereeing with JV hosting.

Might be worth a trip out there to see that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am going to interview Dave Hendon prior to the Worlds. I will post the link on here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ Look forward to that :)

Must admit, although for the reasons Jimmy stated, i.e not just the coverage but all the features etc I'll be making the Beeb my main port of call when the Champs start, I think I'll watch more on Eurosport than previous years. Although it can be a little soulless by comparison with just showing the match and that's it, I'm feeling a little bit of loyalty to Eurosport in return for all the hours of snooker they alone have provided this season.
  • Options
    TungstenTungsten Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Parrott 0-5 Patrick Wallace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Les Dodd about to follow the same way...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Knowlesy this year? Has he not entered?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like it! Maybe he had other commitments and considered it wasn't worth it as obviously he'd only win a game or two at best. Or decided to bow out on a high as world six red king :p

Odd also how there's only one game tomorrow, Igor Fig v whoever....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie O'Neil 5-4 David Gray.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Delaney 5-4 Stephen Rowlings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like it! Maybe he had other commitments and considered it wasn't worth it as obviously he'd only win a game or two at best. Or decided to bow out on a high as world six red king :p

Odd also how there's only one game tomorrow, Igor Fig v whoever....

I think Igor has dropped off the Tour in any case. He's barely played a match all season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody been on Ha Ha today ? Not working for me on any link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :eek:

Doesn't bode well for Saturday onwards when the qualifying starts proper

Must admit I only use haha when totally essential (i.e when otherwise I'd have to put my hand in my pocket ;)) as I'm worried that those pop-ups are infecting my computer (which'd mean I'd have to put my hand in an even deeper pocket).
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody been on Ha Ha today ? Not working for me on any link

try vipbox mate, i was watching it on there earlier :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Ormerod 0-5 Jamie O'Neill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Wallace 5-2 Joe Delaney.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HaHa working fine today, think it was just yesterday i couldnt get connected. May well, in faact probably was, my laptop rather than the site itself.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    weren't your laptop mate, was same for my computer!

only 1 game on today, currently Igor Figuierdo 5-2 Jamie O'Neil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igor Figueiredo 10-5 Jamie O'Neill.
This discussion has been closed.