Options

SJA : The Eternity trap (5/6 November 2009)

124»

Comments

• Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Did anyone else think the villain (Erasmus?) was a bit, well, Time Lord?

Taking into account he was trying to use ancient facilities to build something similar to the TARDIS, and his clothes and - well - general behaviour

In particular his hat and that of a Time Lord.

Or just me?
    It did make me think "is he the Meddling Monk?":)
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    But how could they do a "Scooby-Doo" episode and leave out the dog?
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    It did make me think "is he the Meddling Monk?":)

Or a trannie Rani?

I'll get my coat :o
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ep.1 completely scared me to death. Ep.2 less good, and caught up with a technobabble ending.

Erasmus Darkening was a brilliant character. A proper villian! "Miss Smeeeeeeeeeeth". Wonderful Donald Sumpter is always a good actor. Not sure about the actor playing Toby though.

Floella Benjamin! Where has she been all my life? Love her.

It did seem a bit like everyone trapped by the house had died, and I'd have liked a little more detail there. Maybe best not to detail it too much, though, as it is aimed at 8yr olds ...

The unseen monster was a great way to capitalise on the reduction in SJA's budget. Again, they couldn't really show a proper transdimensional mionster with slathering jaws on kids telly.
  • Options
    colinbcolinb Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Rani really good this season. A lot of people criticised her last year (not that I thought she needed it) but she's been bloody brilliant this season. Just wish Clyde wasn't such a massive focus of the series, he's not my most favorite character

It's not just you. She is probably the strongest main character, for me (and not just 'cos she's nice to look at!) :)

Back to Toby, if he was meant to be 'special needs', shouldn't we, the viewers, be let in on that? Otherwise it was just embarrassing!
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    colinb wrote: »
    It's not just you. She is probably the strongest main character, for me (and not just 'cos she's nice to look at!) :)

Back to Toby, if he was meant to be 'special needs', shouldn't we, the viewers, be let in on that? Otherwise it was just embarrassing!

I did assume that Toby was supposed to be perhaps autistic, but I'm not sure it should be explained out loud. I have a friend with mental health issues and a friend with an obvious physical problem, but they don't tend to bring it up when they meet people - neither of them feel that they are defined by it and don't feel the need to explain it to people they meet. Maybe we were just supposed to accept who Toby is without going into an explantion.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    colinb wrote: »
    ...Back to Toby, if he was meant to be 'special needs', shouldn't we, the viewers, be let in on that? Otherwise it was just embarrassing!

I just assumed it was the strain of trying to live up to his noble prize winning dad that made him the way he was.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    I did assume that Toby was supposed to be perhaps autistic, but I'm not sure it should be explained out loud. I have a friend with mental health issues and a friend with an obvious physical problem, but they don't tend to bring it up when they meet people - neither of them feel that they are defined by it and don't feel the need to explain it to people they meet. Maybe we were just supposed to accept who Toby is without going into an explantion.

I immediately thought Toby has some form of high functioning autism

OH never introduces himself like this "Hi i'm Mr Dgem and i have aspergers"...althought sometimes i have to explain it to people shortly after (once he has said something hugely inappropriate) :D
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    well, I watched this late last night!

oooeeeeeee!! scary!!!

the things I hate the most are dark rooms; people who enter dark rooms and wander around without putting a light on; tunnels; people who insist on walking down dark tunnels with only the feeblest of torches :rolleyes: and my greatest fear is people hiding in dark corners ready to jump out on you and go "Boooooo"

you get my drift?! :eek: - so I was another "grown up" needing a cushion!!

but the things that really got me going "eeep" was when the mechanical toys just started moving on their own - especially the rotating clown! (don't like clowns!! :eek: ) I have always found antique clockwork and mechanical toys menacing! the toys that have a "face" always seem to have an evil look about them :eek:

and when the horse started to rock harder and harder....
    woah!

I loved seeing Floella :) - that lady just doesn't seem to age! She looks just as stunning now, as she did back in the 80's! I have met her and she is as absolutely fab in RL as she always is when she is on TV.

I thought Adam Gillen was BRILLIANT - I thought his portrayal of a boy genius was excellent and I loved the little characteristics he included with his voice tone and mannerisms. I have read some of the reviews for his other acting roles and they have all been impressive.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the things I hate the most are dark rooms; people who enter dark rooms and wander around without putting a light on; tunnels; people who insist on walking down dark tunnels with only the feeblest of torches :rolleyes:

Well they didn't really need the Torch did they since there was nice Electrical lighting all along the tunnels :rolleyes:

Did ED or the "ghosts" put on the lights or were they left on since the family disapeared in the 1960's?

If the latter, who's been paying the bill? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Chuff and I wondered about the lights, too...!

A lot of the spooky stuff was just there for the sake of being spooky and was never explained (Floella's voice on the record, etc). Still loved it though.

Mention of The Stone Tape Theory! The Stone Tape scared the living poo out of me when BBC4 showed it, a few years back. Maybe they'll show it again this Crimble? The glowing eyes of the unseen monster reminded me of
    the closing moments of The Stone Tape, where Jane Asher meets her maker

The sequence in the outhouse thingie, where Rani and Clyde see Darkening reflected in the mirror ... I knew it was going to happen. I knew he would be reflected in the mirror, but it still terrified me. It reminded me of the sequence in Twin Peaks, with Killer Bob at the foot of Laura Palmer's bed. I knew he was going to be there, but it still frightened me.

How absolutely marvellous that CBBC shows a scary ghost story!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    The bit that actually made me jump was when Erasmus was behind Floella, scary as.

I'm surprised people aren't making more of the fact that the creature knocked four times on the shed door, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Who finale but still things like that are usually lapped up in the forums and crazy theories abound.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgotten about knocking four times. I'd remembered some knocking is due, but had forgotten the specific number of times. (I only watched the Easter thing once, and probably won't ever watch it again).

You're right: people normally widdle themselves with excitement at the mention of such stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricmcc1766 wrote: »
    The bit that actually made me jump was when Erasmus was behind Floella, scary as.

I'm surprised people aren't making more of the fact that the creature knocked four times on the shed door, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the Who finale but still things like that are usually lapped up in the forums and crazy theories abound.

Me too - I jumped RIGHT out of my seat, freaked me out like Mr Pipes in Ghostwatch! And the mechanical toys in fact the whole nursery scene was very scary! :eek:
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not bad,but the toby guy had a really irratating voice. however things were spoiled yet again by clydes pathetic attempts to act,joke,be smug,etc. he really is a terrible actor and shouldnt be employed. he cant do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    not bad,but the toby guy had a really irratating voice. however things were spoiled yet again by clydes pathetic attempts to act,joke,be smug,etc. he really is a terrible actor and shouldnt be employed. he cant do it.

Once again - it is only your opinion that Daniel Anthony cannot act - it doesn't make it fact. I enjoy him, lots of other viewers enjoy him and most importantly he is popular with every child I know who watches SJA. They are the target audience, not us, so if the majority of kids seem to like him, I doubt that your dislike of the actor is going to put him out of a job.
  • Options
    cloudfactorycloudfactory Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again - it is only your opinion that Daniel Anthony cannot act - it doesn't make it fact. I enjoy him, lots of other viewers enjoy him and most importantly he is popular with every child I know who watches SJA. They are the target audience, not us, so if the majority of kids seem to like him, I doubt that your dislike of the actor is going to put him out of a job.

it does make it fact when it is plain to see how dreadful he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it does make it fact when it is plain to see how dreadful he is.

It doesn't make it fact when other people do not have the same problem with the actor which you do. Are you saying that only your opinion is correct and that the children who enjoy the character are all wrong? Who are we to tell kids what they should or should not enjoy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eowyn and anyone else just don't rise to Cloudfactory. Clearly he is doing this to wind everyone up, his posts in regard a few word changes are practically the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big Steve wrote: »
    Eowyn and anyone else just don't rise to Cloudfactory. Clearly he is doing this to wind everyone up, his posts in regard a few word changes are practically the same.

I know it and I am kicking myself for replying, but I couldn't help myself...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it and I am kicking myself for replying, but I couldn't help myself...

Don't beat yourself up about it, just remember not rising to someone like that enjoys seeing people biting to his comments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big Steve wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up about it, just remember not rising to someone like that enjoys seeing people biting to his comments

I usually ignore people I think are trolls, but what really made me reply is that I think Cloudfactory truly believes that he is right. I'm staying out of it in future though...