Options

Ellonex Artisan

Does anybody have any experience of the Ellonex Artisan?

The idea of grouping all TV and PC functions is quite attractive. I have dvd recorder, cd recorder, dvd Player (the recorder does not play JPEG), Sky+ and a computer. I'd love to be able to consolidate into one box. Is the £999 price tag justified?

And has anyone seen a review of this product?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Also consider the Sony VGX-XL100 which is coming out next month for the same price tag... There is a review for this in PC Pro
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Media centre PCs are starting to become fairly popular.... if they are done right they can give excellent results for their price point esp if you use a projector (though I cant comment on the 2 models mentioned)

Personally however I cant get round the idea of having PC as the centre of a "decent" home cinema/ sound setup. I am sure this isnt rational and in time I will be looking at getting one but it wont be in the next couple of years.
  • Options
    56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Astaroth wrote:
    Personally however I cant get round the idea of having PC as the centre of a "decent" home cinema/ sound setup. I am sure this isnt rational ....QUOTE]

I'm absolutely certain that this is the way the market will move in the next few years, after all, all the PVRs on the market are basically just cut down PCs!!

I agree that the idea of balancing the keyboard on my lap to operate the "other" PC funtions (emailing, word processing etc) is a bit strange, but I do not expect to use it for that.

But, for instance, my wife and I are fans of Radio 4, and to able to listen to the listen again page, with sound through my stereo is appealing. (Please do not suggest a wireless link, I have far too many connections at the rear of my video/audio set up as it is. The whole idea is to reduce the wire maze at the rear.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Ellonex Artisan £999

I was playing with one at Comet today. Very impressed i must say, especially with the ease of use, your grandma could use it, and that's not a joke either!

Nice and fast twin DVB tuners coupled with excellent picture and ratio switching.
    Fast P4 HT processor to decode 1080p footage, and a colossal 300GB HD, though the RAM was a bit mean at 512MB. This particular model has DVI socket hooked up to an LG 37" LCD with stunning PC screen results. Crisp and sharp, and even if you want to go super hi res to support your proper HD TV ie 1920 by 1080 pixels this PC will support that resolution.

Sound outputs is pretty decent with a set of phono's, Tos link and coax. To cap it off it also has wireless internet and keyboard.

This is the future... now.

I have two words for you.

BUY ONE! :D:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    56up wrote:
    I'm absolutely certain that this is the way the market will move in the next few years

I agree with you... as I said in my original post it is a personal issue that I have with them.

If my projector was up and running I may well consider one as the scaling options with the upper end media centre PCs is truly outstanding and is a much cheaper option than using dedicated scalers.

Whilst they are certainly quieter than a normal PC one of my issues with them is the fan noise that you get... again not as much as an issue for projector users who have the projector fan noise anyway... but compared to my normal DVD player & AVR it is considerably more noisy.

I have started to join the technology revolution in that I have a file server with all my mp3s which are accessable from all rooms of the house - though not used much in my lounge as this is where my stereo and CDs are living and after spending too much on the stereo I dont want to limit its capabilities by using compressed media.... though in the tv room/ home cinema it is used a fair bit (as well as bedroom/ kitchen/ bathroom etc)