TNA Wrestling on Challenge TV

Comments

• MFKR78MFKR78 Posts: 1,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still watching Against All Odds.

Glad to see Shannon Moore is back as with the X Division being low (now even lower with Sorensen gone) I think he fits in well there. I've always thought he deserved a better push to be honest. The PPV on paper sounds really promising so I'm looking forward to the rest of it.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    The box gimmick has worked in the past. No saying that it would work in the modern era, but people were curious to see whats in it. If you put a lot of spotlight on it, people do take to it.

hahaha

lets go back to the days of shockmaster,great booking
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    hahaha

Don't be so silly, if ever theres a storyline that needs revisiting its this one :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yc9FXJT8HE
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whizzed through impact, as usual. although i sort of wish i'd probably watched the Roode/Hardy match as it looked decent. the knockouts battle royal was watchable.

i thought the update on jesse sorensen was excellent - it was tasteful, to the point and didn't try to overblow it.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    hahaha

That was through a wall not in a box. The principle was similar with building a character up for debut.
  • mightykevmightykev Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    What is it with TNA do they think we all have ****ing amnesia, stop showing the same interviews that we have already seen 10 minutes before, and the Bobby Roode one didn't even make any sense as it was a postmatch interview from against all odds but it was shown after he had won his match against Hardy on impact, and also what was the point of showing the ending to the Storm/Ray match with the American football guy we just saw it, it was only 1 minute a go for gods sake:mad:

On a more positive note, I liked the ending to the Battle Royal, as it would have been too predictable for Velvet to win. Although it was very clumisily announced by Tenay as if it had just occured to him what she said at the start, would have been better coming from Madison herself.
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mightykev wrote: »
    What is it with TNA do they think we all have ****ing amnesia, stop showing the same interviews that we have already seen 10 minutes before, and the Bobby Roode one didn't even make any sense as it was a postmatch interview from against all odds but it was shown after he had won his match against Hardy on impact, and also what was the point of showing the ending to the Storm/Ray match with the American football guy we just saw it, it was only 1 minute a go for gods sake:mad:

On a more positive note, I liked the ending to the Battle Royal, as it would have been too predictable for Velvet to win. Although it was very clumisily announced by Tenay as if it had just occured to him what she said at the start, would have been better coming from Madison herself.

The interview footage is added to the UK broadcast to fill time as in the U.S commercials 'take the place' of the interviews. Jeremy Borash was live tweeting during the show and explained:
    This footage between Roode/Hardy is ONLY seen in the UK... The US fans are still watching commercials! #impactwrestling

https://twitter.com/#!/jeremyborashuk/status/171347707426897921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    That was through a wall not in a box. The principle was similar with building a character up for debut.

im nearly 30,i remember how stuff used to work(and work well)

but as you say it doesnt work in modern era,cornette wanted the box debut to happen in 1997!!!!!!!! hes stuck in history
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornette is a true legend in this business, he's intelligent and funny as hell.

Just watching Against All Odds and then I'll catch this weeks Impact. Got to say WOW, the Shelley vs Aries match was immense! Up to now I've enjoyed every match on the show but that one was far and away the best match I've seen for ages. Aries is just pure gold and I hope they let him beat the X Division title record that he's coming up on and hold the belt a long time.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    im nearly 30,i remember how stuff used to work(and work well)

but as you say it doesnt work in modern era,cornette wanted the box debut to happen in 1997!!!!!!!! hes stuck in history

There's things in Wrestling that have worked for years. The box gimmick working in the modern era is a question mark, however it has been 15 years since it's been done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished watching now and that was a strong PPV in my opinion. Especially for one that doesn't seem like a big name show usually. I enjoyed every match aside from Bischoff/Gunner. I don't know what they were thinking having Garrett in the 2nd to last match at all, the show was hot from 3 strong matches in a row (tag match was decent, X Division was amazing and then Styles/Kazarian was a damn fine match too) and then Bischoff and Gunner killed it and just looked totally out of place going on so late in the show. The main event was pretty good too.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    MFKR78 wrote: »
    Just watching Against All Odds and then I'll catch this weeks Impact. Got to say WOW, the Shelley vs Aries match was immense! Up to now I've enjoyed every match on the show but that one was far and away the best match I've seen for ages. Aries is just pure gold and I hope they let him beat the X Division title record that he's coming up on and hold the belt a long time.
    Shelley vs Aries was an awesome match, possibly my fave of the year so far.

Aries is just class, nearly faultless. Great in the ring, great on the mic, great character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is probably the best part of Impact right now to be honest. I'm enjoying Roode, Storm, Hardy and others but Aries is by far the most exciting wrestler in the company both on the mic and in the ring as you said.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I love about Aries is how is gimmick works so well with his in-ring work.

He's "officially" a heel, but I love how he just basically says he's the best wrestler in the world and leaves it for the crowd to decide whether they agree with him or not - which they mostly do! :D He's stopped doing those heelish things he did at first and actually started winning matches cleanly and convincingly - I mean, a clean submission win over Shelley? The company's faith in him must be MASSIVE for something like that.

It raises the inevitable question though; Aries is basically carrying the X-Division by himself. How can they ever take the belt off him (which needs to happen for him to make the transition to main event scene) without making him look weak? There isn't a single X-Div wrestler he can't beat; their only options are pitting him against the likes of Daniels or Styles, but of course, if he loses that, it creates the impression that while he is good, he isn't as good as the old classics.

I honestly think they have booked themselves into a corner. Just hope he doesn't get jobbed to John Morrison or another ex-WWE star :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a good point, that's another reason why I was saying how the X Division has really fallen now. Back in the day you had Petey Williams, Jay Lethal and more but nowadays there's nobody really credible underneath Shelley, Sabin and Kendrick in my opinion. They really need to fill out that division with a couple more guys that are current rather than up and coming youngsters.

I'd be very interested to see Morrison in TNA generally and think he could have a fine match with Aries but it wouldn't be right for him to just go over. It's a tricky one for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I honestly think they have booked themselves into a corner. Just hope he doesn't get jobbed to John Morrison or another ex-WWE star :(

I think the way around it would be to have someone take him to the limit in a few matches, but for Aries to still gain the win. The person keeps coming after the belt so Aries agrees some kind of stipulation match but gets so frustrated that he can't put the opponent away, he makes a mistake at a critical time and gets pinned.

Or I guess the easy way out is to have a triple threat match where the belt changes hands without him ever being pinned.
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric Bischoff @EBischoff
    Story, character, structure. Looking forward to the next set of TV's. Been a long time coming

http://twitter.com/#!/EBischoff/status/172394975575805953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Russo goes and apparently they're looking at story, character and structure for TV's.

But then if Bischoff has as much power as you'd think, why didn't he push for it sooner ?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing will change for a while yet. Creative will obviously stick with Russo's short-term plans otherwise it would look like a total mess. I imagine post-Lockdown we'll start to really see the difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    true. they won't rip up a ton of storylines and start again. I remember they tried that in WCW once where they had all the champions hand in their belts and they tried to reboot everything - that tanked pretty badly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I'm genuinely excited by those comments on top of the current direction. As long as they don't cut down the X Division, Aries and Roode & Storm and go back to old faces then I'll be very happy.

Also my hopes for the TV Title elevation would be amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read that Brian Kendrick has been deleted from the roster page. This isn't good.

I mean Kendrick seemed to half-ass his whole TNA run in my opinion because he went from being fun to watch in WWE to a guy that did nothing but weak looking single leg drop kicks all the way through every match, but then this means another X Division guy is gone which worries me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. Russo goes and apparently they're looking at story, character and structure for TV's.

But then if Bischoff has as much power as you'd think, why didn't he push for it sooner ?

exactly,well said

and considering kurt angle has come out on record as saying hogan and bishcoff made massive changes to everything russo wrote its really been at very least 40% bischoffs product already

love him or hate him,you guys all know that you have not been watching a vince russo product these last 3 months,it has hardly any hallmarks of his writing

as for this weeks impact,im loving roode but there isnt enough wow factor about the show,just seems to be going through the motions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta be some big comebacks coming soon, Kennedy, Abyss and possbily John Morrison coming, TNA seems to have lost a little momentum, and thats despite the product looking stronger recently. X-Division has been taken apart, and needs some depth, losing Lethal, Red, Consequnces, Sonjay, Kendrick, now sorneson to injury, plus the elevation of Styles, Joe and Daniels have left them so thin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly,well said

and considering kurt angle has come out on record as saying hogan and bishcoff made massive changes to everything russo wrote its really been at very least 40% bischoffs product already

love him or hate him,you guys all know that you have not been watching a vince russo product these last 3 months,it has hardly any hallmarks of his writing

as for this weeks impact,im loving roode but there isnt enough wow factor about the show,just seems to be going through the motions

The fact Russo's stuff hasn't been filling the show the last 3 months is the reason it's been so good! I've only come back in the past weeks personally, which is why going from way less Russo stuff then to no Russo stuff at all in future now can only be a great thing for me!
This discussion has been closed.