How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    broonale wrote: »
    Phthalates.

Are these the ones responsible for changing the sex of marine life and allegedly causing birth defects in humans? Nasty things.

That's the ones.
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Not that it matters with the chemicals I ingest, but those things are nasty and should have been outlawed by now. But I heard they were only phasing them out.

The same chemical that they used widely on childrens toys in the 70s and in production of pvc.

Anything from the US should be 3 free anyway by now. Might not be long before the majority of manufacturers stop using these chemicals.

Formaldehyde especially..... Liquid cancer!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly! Isn't formaldehyde used for pickling dead bodies? I wonder what it does to nails...

I certainly don't notice my 3-free polishes being any less effective than the ones that do contain them, they're mostly better. So god knows why they have to put them in nail varnish at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Thanks :) very interesting. Ive never even thought 2 check what is in the nail varnish...is that really bad? Lol. I used seche vite on some rimmel nail varnish and it worked brilliantly. Stayed put 4 days, no chips, hard as anything and super shiny!! Does rimmel contain these big 3? Maybe thats more compatible with seche vite?!
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My uni collection is now up to 21 bottles :)
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    Just bought some Chanel Peridot, it's gorgeous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoboes wrote: »
    Thanks :) very interesting. Ive never even thought 2 check what is in the nail varnish...is that really bad? Lol. I used seche vite on some rimmel nail varnish and it worked brilliantly. Stayed put 4 days, no chips, hard as anything and super shiny!! Does rimmel contain these big 3? Maybe thats more compatible with seche vite?!

I don't think it's worth worrying about really, but yes, I'm pretty sure Rimmel contains the big 3 chemicals.
    Lushness wrote: »
    Just bought some Chanel Peridot, it's gorgeous.

Isn't it? I love it. I haven't made up my ring yet, but I have a Peridot cabochon ready to go, once I get it glued down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I'm now finding loads of nail varnishes I want to get my hands on but am not having much luck!!
    I'm really wanting the opi miss universe collection, as I think all those colours look stunning!
    I also want the opi Katy perry 'the one that got away' polish.
    I also want the china glaze magnetix collection when that is released.

I could go on!!!
    Honestly, I wasn't this obsessed until I discovered this thread and the various blogs that have been linked from here!!
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zoboes wrote: »
    I'm now finding loads of nail varnishes I want to get my hands on but am not having much luck!!
    I'm really wanting the opi miss universe collection, as I think all those colours look stunning!
    I also want the opi Katy perry 'the one that got away' polish.
    I also want the china glaze magnetix collection when that is released.

I could go on!!!
    Honestly, I wasn't this obsessed until I discovered this thread and the various blogs that have been linked from here!!

I know, my interest in nail varnish and my collection have increased dramatically since following this thread. A year ago, I only had two OPI polishes, I now have 9! I have to be careful though, as I am on a budget so rarely get to buy nail varnish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the leighton denny khaki collection the other day! Really want it now!! Its sat in the sorting office because a couple of bottles didnt fit in our letter box.¬¬
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Hey there, just thought I'd share a budget tip.
    I went in to Poundland the other day to get some nail buffers (4 for a pound bargain) and they had some nail polishes by Sally Hansen and Revlon in there.
    I bought this one http://www.body-soulbeauty.com/2010/05/sally-hansen-hd-spectrum.html which is pretty good for a quid. Also in TKMax they have OPI varnishes at bargain prices
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seche Vite on qvc, 15.50 for 2!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    cake lover wrote: »
    Hey there, just thought I'd share a budget tip.
    I went in to Poundland the other day to get some nail buffers (4 for a pound bargain) and they had some nail polishes by Sally Hansen and Revlon in there.
    I bought this one http://www.body-soulbeauty.com/2010/05/sally-hansen-hd-spectrum.html which is pretty good for a quid. Also in TKMax they have OPI varnishes at bargain prices

Cheers for this tip, was just finding this thread to find recommendations for new nail varnish brands I can buy in shops (don't have a credit card, so can't purchase online) as I want to try some other brands, but will definitely be going into TK Maxx on Monday instead to see if they have any in!
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    I've got a few from Poundland. Well worth a start if you want to build up a simple collection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm feeling a bit of an aversion to glitter at the moment, which has surprised me! Maybe I've overdosed over the last few weeks. I've been wanting to wear pretty pastels and things recently. My latest purchase (via Amazon) arrived today - China Glaze For Audrey, which is the same colour as a Tiffany's box. It looks so pretty!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I've only just found my way to this forum (hello everyone!) and I'm very glad to hear I'm not the only person with a ridiculous obsession with nail varnish.

Last time I counted, 2 yrs ago, I had 82 and I've added lots since then so I must be way over a hundred now. I've made a new resolution though...one in one out...in an attempt to stop the collection growing anymore.

Wearing GOSH 549 at the moment, which I was shocked to see selling on ebay for £30 a bottle the other day (having paid <£5 for mine). Was going to buy a spare bottle but even I'm not mad enough to pay that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Snowdrops wrote: »
    Wearing GOSH 549 at the moment, which I was shocked to see selling on ebay for £30 a bottle the other day (having paid <£5 for mine). Was going to buy a spare bottle but even I'm not mad enough to pay that.

I had to look that polish up to see what all the fuss is about OMG I want it!!! (not enough to pay £30 for it though)
    Forum Member
    cake lover wrote: »
    I had to look that polish up to see what all the fuss is about OMG I want it!!! (not enough to pay £30 for it though)

I certainly won't be able to afford to replace it when the bottle runs out. So this is my next project...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfhKccksNhc
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just found my way to this forum (hello everyone!) and I'm very glad to hear I'm not the only person with a ridiculous obsession with nail varnish.

Last time I counted, 2 yrs ago, I had 82 and I've added lots since then so I must be way over a hundred now. I've made a new resolution though...one in one out...in an attempt to stop the collection growing anymore.

I just knew without having to look that'd be the GOSH holographic haha. I LOVE that but never saw it till after it was discontinued. I wanted a bottle but I can't spend that much for it :( Do the pictures do it justice?
    Forum Member
    I just knew without having to look that'd be the GOSH holographic haha. I LOVE that but never saw it till after it was discontinued. I wanted a bottle but I can't spend that much for it :( Do the pictures do it justice?

No, honestly, it's ten times prettier than it looks in the photos. I sit and stare at it sometimes. How sad?

I have a pink Virgin Vie one that's just as stunning. Unfortunately that's discontinued as well. Why do they do that when something's so popular?
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, honestly, it's ten times prettier than it looks in the photos. I sit and stare at it sometimes. How sad?

I have a pink Virgin Vie one that's just as stunning. Unfortunately that's discontinued as well. Why do they do that when something's so popular?

Urgh..I'm so tempted...if it's prettier than the piccie it may just be worth it :) I looked up the spectraflair thing...seems like a pain to get a hold of :( I have seen some other makes on ebay but again, don't know how far the piccies can be trusted.

I bought petrol in the water today, and I have to say it is an asolute stunner. I wish I hadn't held out so long.
  • zippykinszippykins Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Anyone know of cheapish holographic polishes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never seen any in the UK, unless something like a holo glitter topcoat would do, that you could put over another colour. It won't be totally even, but it would still have the holo effect. Models Own do one called Juicy Jules, and there's a new Barry M one (with the holo silver lid) which I can't remember the name of. I haven't tried the Barry M one, but Juicy Jules is nice enough. Let me see if I can find any photos of it on my hard drive.
    Forum Member
    Urgh..I'm so tempted...if it's prettier than the piccie it may just be worth it :) I looked up the spectraflair thing...seems like a pain to get a hold of :( I have seen some other makes on ebay but again, don't know how far the piccies can be trusted.

I bought petrol in the water today, and I have to say it is an asolute stunner. I wish I hadn't held out so long.

Is that the Andrea Fulerton one? That's on my wishlist (along with one or two others ;))
  • zippykinszippykins Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I've never seen any in the UK, unless something like a holo glitter topcoat would do, that you could put over another colour. It won't be totally even, but it would still have the holo effect. Models Own do one called Juicy Jules, and there's a new Barry M one (with the holo silver lid) which I can't remember the name of. I haven't tried the Barry M one, but Juicy Jules is nice enough. Let me see if I can find any photos of it on my hard drive.

Thanks! I've just put on Nails Inc Warwick Avenue.