Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,494
Administrator
Just to echo what others have already said about John's family.

Whatever anybody may or may not think about John - his family should be off limits. I think it's very low to criticize his family. Especially his children - who look like great kids to me.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1341674

Comments

• MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Rather fitting that the previous thread ended on page 147 eh?
    • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
      Forum Member
      MeicY wrote: »
      Rather fitting that the previous thread ended on page 147 eh?

Don't worry, the poster who ended on that will not be getting £147k! Its been reduced LOL
    • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Folks,

A few handy links in one post which may be useful rather than sift through the part 2 thread over the last few weeks:

Snooker Legends 2011 tour dates, with mainly Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor, John Parrott, Jimmy White, John Virgo and Michaela Tabb:

http://www.snookerlegends.co.uk/booking.html

Terrance Chant and friends in their Clive Everton T-shirts at the Crucible, as snapped by Monique Limbos:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1914756423068&set=a.1914330532421.109620.1066660939&type=1&l=58efc82c61&theater

My pics from this year's World Snooker Championship:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/sets/72157626419511487/

The 1985 "Black Ball final" documentary on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s9dg4/Davis_v_Taylor_The_85_Black_Ball_Final/

And seeing as it was mentioned in the Snooker Loopy feature last night, here's the follow-up, "The Romford Rap" with Chas and Dave and the Matchroom Mob. Cheesy alert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6ygwphGeY
    • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,482
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      zawtowers wrote: »
      Folks,

A few handy links in one post which may be useful rather than sift through the part 2 thread over the last few weeks:

Snooker Legends 2011 tour dates, with mainly Cliff Thorburn, Dennis Taylor, John Parrott, Jimmy White, John Virgo and Michaela Tabb:

Terrance Chant and friends in their Clive Everton T-shirts at the Crucible, as snapped by Monique Limbos:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1914756423068&set=a.1914330532421.109620.1066660939&type=1&l=58efc82c61&theater

The 1985 "Black Ball final" documentary on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00s9dg4/Davis_v_Taylor_The_85_Black_Ball_Final/

And seeing as it was mentioned in the Snooker Loopy feature last night, here's the follow-up, "The Romford Rap" with Chas and Dave and the Matchroom Mob. Cheesy alert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6ygwphGeY

It's like Snooker Extra :) Cheers Rishi, i mean Zaw
    • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,331,378
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I reckon I must have been one of the ten people on the planet who bought Romford Rap :o:D
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Videostar wrote: »
      Only honest people would turn it down.

The simple fact remains that you Higgins supporters seem not to understand is that he broke all sorts of rules and is morally bankrupt, he let himself, HIS FATHER and the rest of his family down by doing what he did, the punishment was pathetic to put it mildly.

I think most on here including me would let this go if he had of been banned for at least one or two full seasons and been stripped of his world ranking, so that when he returns he has to qualify for tournaments, that is a just punishment for his crime against snooker and honesty.

After reading the additional information provided in the previous thread, I'm afraid I see nothing but a patsy (Mr Mooney) limiting the damage to his client and the WPBSA..

They talk of evidence, which isn't available to anyone else (conveniently) and yet they fail to interpret the mannerisms/confidence clearly on display (by JH) in the video..

He didn't look or act in any way flustered and his eagerness to explain how to lose frames, work out how best to hide the money offshore and toast the deal most certainly didn't indicate any nervous disposition and was certainly not in keeping with someone that had not prepared in advance..

His continuous input on how to achieve the said fraud without alerting the attention of officials didn't exactly prove he was eager to leave the room and/or was in any way uncomfortable with the subject matter.

JH and PM were clearly thinking of business (at any level) and were eager to exploit foreign money to their own ends.

The more you look the more you find and this makes for an interesting read, not exactly silent partners are they..

The comment made of the QC, that he is most learned and his decision should not be questioned, was most inappropriate and shows a serious arrogance on behalf of both the law and the individual commentator.
      [note: that's not a direct quote, but a summary of its meaning]

If JH was so innocent, how come they fined him a total of £85k and banned him? (backdated of course so he could compete this season)

Every tournament he plays at now will have its critics. I do appreciate his talent for the game but, apart from those desperate last minute damage limitation exercises (standard practice when you're caught), JH was clearly calm and relaxed about the discussions and plans to manipulate the game beyond its original intent for personal gain and as a previous JH supporter, his actions cannot be ignored because someone has secret information that indicates JH is actually honest after all..Others may believe that, it's business as usual for the WPBSA (limit the damage and hope everyone forgets) which explains why they've always allowed Ronnie to get away with his nonsense..

Whichever way you look at it, we now have a WC that is comfortable selling the game for their own benefit and for someone with his financial status this leaves an even more unpleasant taste in the mouth.

Should fans turn a blind eye to this as long as the game grows, of course not. Nobody held a gun to his head, what he said was said and no matter what was said following the event, the original evidence is there for all to see.

I think their can only be one absolution and that is for the NOTW to print the evidence that clears JH. It was suggested that the editor's own statement may benefit JH, so why is JH not pursuing a libel action against them and why are the NOTW, by their own apparent admission, not printing a piece to concede they were wrong?

These are of course my own views and are in no way intended to influence any other reader and as a previous JH supporter I welcome any new information that does exonerate him, but until such time I must echo the comment as quoted above.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I reckon I must have been one of the ten people on the planet who bought Romford Rap :o:D
      And the only one to have the brass neck to admit it :D
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      And the only one to have the brass neck to admit it :D

:D

God bless the anonymity of internet forums :D
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

God bless the anonymity of internet forums :D

ANONYMITY ????

You posted a pic of yourself yesterday :D
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ANONYMITY ????

Oops....fair point :p:o
    • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
      Forum Member
      Two points:

1) I don't do facebook so can't see the pics :(
      2) Isn't there a John Higgins thread?
    • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,514
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭
      degsyhufc wrote: »
      Two points:

1) I don't do facebook so can't see the pics :(
      2) Isn't there a John Higgins thread?

Strangely, when Zawtowers posts a link to Facebook, it goes right to the picture. When anybody else posts a link it says I have to join Facebook. I don't do Facebook either - so thanks Zawtowers. :):)
      Forum Member
      Aye, it must be those users' privacy settings or something.
    • bcdeebcdee Posts: 317,418
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Does anyone else think that there should be a dress code for the crowd especially at the final, so that we dont have attention seeking football fans sitting there in out of date football shirts.

There has certainly been an increase in the number of rowdy fans since dress standards have slipped as people dressed for the football seem to think it is acceptable to behave as if they are at the football.

Ban football shirts at The Crucible.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
      Forum Member
      zawtowers wrote: »
      Folks,

Yaay! Thanks Zawtowers - now I know who to look for next time. :)

I was looking at these yesterday - great photos!
      ANONYMITY ????

Oops....fair point :p:o

:D Don't worry TC, your secret is safe here ...well, it's not not but the sentiment is there. ;)
    • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I'm totally going to the Legends tour in Derby! :D I am rather excited.
    • MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      bcdee wrote: »
      Does anyone else think that there should be a dress code for the crowd especially at the final, so that we dont have attention seeking football fans sitting there in out of date football shirts.

There has certainly been an increase in the number of rowdy fans since dress standards have slipped as people dressed for the football seem to think it is acceptable to behave as if they are at the football.

And Clive Everton T-shirts! :D
    • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
      Forum Member

who is that dude though that always sits at the front with his- dundee united, i think it is- top on. i seen him all through the tournament wearing the same shirt-poo!
    • zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Elanor wrote: »
      I'm totally going to the Legends tour in Derby! :D I am rather excited.

Excellent! I'm sure you'll have a great time of it there and have plenty of fun watching the legends do their stuff. I think I'll go for the regular tickets for Bolton, the VIP reception price is a little too expensive but a tempter for some, I suppose.

You also mentioned about going to other tournaments this season I think. The UK Championship at York isn't too far (might be considering this myself) and also the PTC events are at the Academy in Sheffield (the snooker one, not the O2 Academy near the crucible) so both of those could be doable for me too I reckon. And the snooker shootout might be in Blackpool again...
    • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
      Forum Member
      Does Alan Chamberlain still referee?
    • TheFridgeTheFridge Posts: 4,142
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      coolguy121 wrote: »
      After reading the additional information provided in the previous thread, I'm afraid I see nothing but a patsy (Mr Mooney) limiting the damage to his client and the WPBSA..

They talk of evidence, which isn't available to anyone else (conveniently) and yet they fail to interpret the mannerisms/confidence clearly on display (by JH) in the video..

He didn't look or act in any way flustered and his eagerness to explain how to lose frames, work out how best to hide the money offshore and toast the deal most certainly didn't indicate any nervous disposition and was certainly not in keeping with someone that had not prepared in advance..

His continuous input on how to achieve the said fraud without alerting the attention of officials didn't exactly prove he was eager to leave the room and/or was in any way uncomfortable with the subject matter.

JH and PM were clearly thinking of business (at any level) and were eager to exploit foreign money to their own ends.

The more you look the more you find and this makes for an interesting read, not exactly silent partners are they..

The comment made of the QC, that he is most learned and his decision should not be questioned, was most inappropriate and shows a serious arrogance on behalf of both the law and the individual commentator.
      [note: that's not a direct quote, but a summary of its meaning]

If JH was so innocent, how come they fined him a total of £85k and banned him? (backdated of course so he could compete this season)

Every tournament he plays at now will have its critics. I do appreciate his talent for the game but, apart from those desperate last minute damage limitation exercises (standard practice when you're caught), JH was clearly calm and relaxed about the discussions and plans to manipulate the game beyond its original intent for personal gain and as a previous JH supporter, his actions cannot be ignored because someone has secret information that indicates JH is actually honest after all..Others may believe that, it's business as usual for the WPBSA (limit the damage and hope everyone forgets) which explains why they've always allowed Ronnie to get away with his nonsense..

Whichever way you look at it, we now have a WC that is comfortable selling the game for their own benefit and for someone with his financial status this leaves an even more unpleasant taste in the mouth.

Should fans turn a blind eye to this as long as the game grows, of course not. Nobody held a gun to his head, what he said was said and no matter what was said following the event, the original evidence is there for all to see.

I think their can only be one absolution and that is for the NOTW to print the evidence that clears JH. It was suggested that the editor's own statement may benefit JH, so why is JH not pursuing a libel action against them and why are the NOTW, by their own apparent admission, not printing a piece to concede they were wrong?

These are of course my own views and are in no way intended to influence any other reader and as a previous JH supporter I welcome any new information that does exonerate him, but until such time I must echo the comment as quoted above.

Thats a really good well put post there ........hard for even the blindest of Higgins devotee's to disagree or argue with that , probably why no-one has.

It will always baffle me how he got away with it , and i liked him too before it.
      Forum Member

Morning suits only or are lounge suits acceptable? I bet the women still get to wear whatever they want though. :D

Michaela Tabb gets away with wearing red tops where as the guys have to wear black suits and white shirts.

It depends on how far they want to veer from the traditional. The players still have to wear waist coats but they can wear different colours these days. And they still wear bow-ties or neck ties (or whatever Trump had on).

In some of the competitions though the dress code is less lenient.
      In the PL they wear polo shirts.

I remember a few years ago in 9-Ball they started to allow casual dress and Davis showed up in jeans and trainers. Strickland wasn't impressed.
      Then a few years later I think it was in the rules that they had to wear polo shirts.
    • bcdeebcdee Posts: 317,418
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I dont mind it as much in the PL as BH is trying to promote a darts style atmosphere and the players are dressed casually.

At the world championships though members of the crowd really should be told to dress smartly.

Give it another few years and we will no doubt have vuvuzelas, painted faces and smurfs. Football shirts is just the start.
    • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      degsyhufc wrote: »
      In some of the competitions though the dress code is less lenient.
      In the PL they wear polo shirts.

I remember a few years ago in 9-Ball they started to allow casual dress and Davis showed up in jeans and trainers. Strickland wasn't impressed.
      Then a few years later I think it was in the rules that they had to wear polo shirts.

I very much enjoyed seeing some of them play in polo shirts. :D

OMG, I've just counted up my ticket stubs: I have seen FIFTY sessions of snooker over 9 years at the Crucible. I am very scared, and thank goodness I can't work out how much it's cost me.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      TheFridge wrote: »
      Thats a really good well put post there ........hard for even the blindest of Higgins devotee's to disagree or argue with that , probably why no-one has.

It will always baffle me how he got away with it , and i liked him too before it.

Because the NOTW have a habit of stitch ups. Ask the people of Liverpool what they think of that paper and its sister publication.

You saw 3 mins of a 75 minute video. The tribunal saw the whole thing. So call me Mr Silly if you wish but I think they were in a better place to judge than you.
    This discussion has been closed.