Victory of the Daleks

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably speaks volumes that I find it hard to muster up enough passion to even voice much of an opinion about this episode. I don't think its bad. But its not really very good either. I think this and the Gangers snoozefest are the only Matt era episodes I have only watched twice. Spitfires in space works as a trailer idea- I was impressed when I first saw it- but doesn't bare much scrutiny. I did enjoy Churchill. There were some nice moments. But generally rather meh. I love Gatiss though and I think given time he has a classic in him. I'm just surprised its taking this long as he is such a brilliant writer and actor and indeed presenter (his horror historys on BBC4 are stellar). Its even odder when you consider what a fan he is. A mystery indeed that he hasn't don't himself or the show justice. Yet.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd accept it's not one of the strongest episodes, but there's plenty I dislike more. I've never seen Power of the Daleks, but I've read enough about it to see that this is to some extent a retread. However, since that story will be unknown to most of today's audience (I imagine, like so many Troughton stories, it's either missing or incomplete), I see no harm in that.

The scenes with the Dalek offering tea are amusing enough, both Matt and Karen give solid performances, and Bill Paterson is very good as Bracewell.

On the downside, the multi-coloured Daleks do look a bit like an advert for a range of merchandise.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, as far as DW is concerned, the only one of his stories I've liked is The Unquiet Dead.

Not good. :(

100% of the final draft script of the Unquiet Dead was written by RTD. (It wasn't finished and they only had a small window where Simon Callow was available) Source: The Writers Tale.

And you're right, Victory was not good.
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    100% of the final draft script of the Unquiet Dead was written by RTD. (It wasn't finished and they only had a small window where Simon Callow was available) Source: The Writers Tale.

Never knew that - it probably explains why I like The Unquiet Dead! :)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

How interesting. The Unquiet Dead is really good.

I liked Victory more than many and prepared to give it excuses. For example Gatiss said that much good stuff was cut to bring down the running time. But even going by what was actually shown there's a fundamentally good dalek story. With flaws.

Another excuse I will give Gatiss is that it was saddled by the BBC toy mongers with the need to redesign the daleks for merchandising purposes. On its own that's no problem - the daleks have always been a merchandising cash cow for the BBC, right back to 1964 and I have no problem with it. The problem was that it was a poor new design. I wonder how much less negativity this episode would attract if it didn't have those final scenes of hunch backed plastic novelty bubble bath bottles waltzing around?
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    considering the daleks were based on nazis this was SUCH a missed opportunity. should have been a two parter - as with a lot of the single episode ones it feels rushed and has too much crammed in.

imagine how cool it would have looked seeing the gold daleks appearing out of the mist with actual nazis :-0
    Forum Member
    PJ68 wrote: »
    considering the daleks were based on nazis this was SUCH a missed opportunity. should have been a two parter - as with a lot of the single episode ones it feels rushed and has too much crammed in.

imagine how cool it would have looked seeing the gold daleks appearing out of the mist with actual nazis :-0

That would have been cool. But I'm glad they did something a little less obvious. It showed how desperate Churchill was at that time for assistance. He was overjoyed when Japan finally bought the US into the war. Prospects were a bit grim before that.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    That would have been cool. But I'm glad they did something a little less obvious. It showed how desperate Churchill was at that time for assistance. He was overjoyed when Japan finally bought the US into the war. Prospects were a bit grim before that.

You mean like the new daleks with the slanty grills? ;)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Attempts at being emotional just came over as trite- Pond going on about Paisley didn't connect at all, it felt like the scene where Martha Jones cries over the dead fish. Only worse.
    I'm not sure which scene you mean? Where she calls Bracewell 'Paisley boy' because she recognised his accent? Or where she was trying to remind him what it felt like to be human?
    Also I don't want to come over all Christopher H. Bidmead but there should be some basis in realism in Who and those Spitfires were pure fantasy nonsense.
    A spitfire augmented by Dalek technology to fly in space is more fantasy than a police box designed by aliens to fly through time?
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A spitfire augmented by Dalek technology to fly in space is more fantasy than a police box designed by aliens to fly through time?

A Spitfire augmented by Dalek technology to fly in space and reach orbit in less time than it would take a motorcycle courier to even start his bike and reach Trafalgar Square, let alone get to the nearest airfield (probably Northolt), fit the components and instruct the pilots in their use.
    Forum Member
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    A Spitfire augmented by Dalek technology to fly in space and reach orbit in less time than it would take a motorcycle courier to even start his bike and reach Trafalgar Square, let alone get to the nearest airfield (probably Northolt), fit the components and instruct the pilots in their use.

This is where I give Gatiss et al a pass. In the olden days we would have had some subplots going on to pad things out, and the preparation of the spitfires would have been given time. Unfortunately the modern way is to squeeze the events of a story into a few hours of which we see 45 minutes. Of course, the flipside is that many older stories have lots of fairly dull padding. I wish they had done some montage stuff to show time passing before the dalek ship was located and attacked though.

Basically, though, because I liked it I am happy to ignore what is a bit of a flaw.

I like things like the ganger story and Day of the Moon and Girl who Waited which shows the passage of time. These examples contradict my thesis above. Bugger. So , erm, yes - Gatiss got it wrong here. grrr.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I really disliked this episode upon first viewing, but after giving it another go quite recently I didn't think it was so bad, despite some flaws. It's main problem lay with the ending; a robot which thought it was human which also happened to be a bomb, which could be defused if the robot started to think like a human? :confused: Utter tosh.

I didn't think much of the new Dalek design at the time either but had they toned down the colours and made them look more convincing they wouldn't have seemed so bad.

Still thought it was a reasonably enjoyable episode once I had rewatched it though.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked this one. Especially when Doctor and Amy let him think he is going to be "deactivated" or killed. Course 11 was going to let him live. Telling him to NOT try and find his old girlfreind Dorabella was nice touch. Get why 11 was upset at not being able to finish them off once and for all.Daleks and cybermen are allways going to be a part of DW.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I really like this one. Ok, I can see its faults a mile off and I'm not keen on the space faring spitfires. Mainly because how quickly they were thought up and into space in the context of the episode. However, given the story and the period they are a fun idea.

I'm one of the few people who actually quite like the new Dalek design. I thought they were intimidating and as a fan of the Cushing movies I liked the colours.

Overall I find it a fun episode, not hard on the brain cells, but a good ole romp. To me it is one of those episodes that wouldn't be out of place in the Troughton or Tom Baker era. Perhaps it is just too old school to fit with the feel and pace of the new series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting how general opinion to this episode seems to have mellowed since it was first broadcast. I suppose expectations were super-high at the time (new Doctor and all) and everyone's had a couple of years to reflect since then?

Anyway, yeah, I agree that there's a good story here, with the Daleks working undercover and being sneaky. The real sticking point for a lot of people is the new Daleks and their design (which I actually quite like). The design is OK (I wouldn't have the hunchback, personally) but the real problem is all the bright contrasting colours, right next to each other, in a shiny metal box that looks nothing like a Dalek ship.
    In the Experience, with some great lighting, they're big and imposing and scary, and in Asylum, where it's just a couple of the Paradigm and they have metallic, less garish colours, they look 100x better, IMO.

And I thought the space spitfires were very cool but agree that it'd have been good to see them being produced, even if it was just 30 seconds or so.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Fire Host wrote: »
    It's interesting how general opinion to this episode seems to have mellowed since it was first broadcast. I suppose expectations were super-high at the time (new Doctor and all) and everyone's had a couple of years to reflect since then?

Anyway, yeah, I agree that there's a good story here, with the Daleks working undercover and being sneaky. The real sticking point for a lot of people is the new Daleks and their design (which I actually quite like). The design is OK (I wouldn't have the hunchback, personally) but the real problem is all the bright contrasting colours, right next to each other, in a shiny metal box that looks nothing like a Dalek ship.
    In the Experience, with some great lighting, they're big and imposing and scary, and in Asylum, where it's just a couple of the Paradigm and they have metallic, less garish colours, they look 100x better, IMO.

And I thought the space spitfires were very cool but agree that it'd have been good to see them being produced, even if it was just 30 seconds or so.

It would have helped I think. But I guess they had already told us Bracewell had the plans for a space faring vehicle that it seemed unnecessary. Perhaps if the Dalek attack hadn't been happening right then and there was a bit of time delay in the story people might have accepted the spitfires more readily.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I don't get why the massive plothole in this ep gets ignored...

So, the Daleks are sending out a signal that ensures all of Londons lights are on (and presumably that includes some shielding to stop them being shot out/unscrewed etc )
    And there's a Luftwaffe convoy on the way

So Churchill orders the improved Spitfires to attack the Dalek ship ensuring the lights are able to be turned off so the Luftwaffe can't see London as well when they're bombing....

But if the Spitfires can (almost...) survive combat with a dalek ship, why not just send them over to shoot down the German planes instead?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure which scene you mean? Where she calls Bracewell 'Paisley boy' because she recognised his accent? Or where she was trying to remind him what it felt like to be human?

Yep. That scene just pushed all the wrong buttons. Paisley is a dump. :p

When said spitfire appears out of nowhere, yes.

I would point out that maybe I'm biased as a regular listener to Big Finish, Daleks in unusual situations stories really are done quite frequently there, and they're usually done much better than this. Added to the toy thing, which I accept may have had to happen- and maybe I wouldn't have minded if they looked more like the original design, but, I just got angry the second time I watched it, like a proper ming mong. :)

But hey, I really liked Asylum, so maybe there is hope for the daleks on tv after all.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    I LIKED the new, bigger, sleeker, multicoloured Daleks. :eek:

These are Daleks fit for the 21st century audience. The RTM era design was a bit flat for me as they were all the exactly the same - except for Dalek-kahn and the emperor. (A necessary thing for the CGI "copy a million times" function).

*runs away*

:)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    In a totally mirrored contrast to my opinions of The Beast Below, I initially loved Victory of the Daleks. Only after some time had passed did I realise that I wasn't as impressed as I had initially thought. It's hard to pinpoint what it was that was worst about the episode, or what was best - there was indeed a lot of both, and in such a car crash of pros and cons, you end up with a very disappointing final product.

The Daleks themselves then, have an amazing beginning here. The Ironsides are a cool way of giving the RTD-Daleks a paint job...the Union Flag beneath the eye-stalk was a nice little patriotic nod. One thing that won't ever be forgotten in a Dalek asking "Would you care for some tea"... top marks to Mark Gatiss for getting a line in like that! :D Around half way through, we're introduced to the concept of a new Dalek Paradigm, which is an ominous title for what we got. Since the episode has aired, they've been described as some kind of over-ruling authoritative Daleks... this is an idea I like a lot, to have ranks (relevantly in an episode where the Daleks explicitly pointed out "I am your soldier") among them. But initally, their exact role within the wider Dalek context was left a bit of a mystery, and was never properly explained, leaving Asylum of the Daleks to just let us make this assumption. The reception to these Daleks was hardly positive, and has since been somewhat rectified... that on it's own is nice, but I'd like to have seen a bit more confidence from the makers and actually find a role for them, rather than just sidelining them.
    On to the design of the New Paradigm, it has to be said that they looked phenomenally more impressive on paper. The artwork design lacked the hump, and showed them to be more like menacing tanks... that would have been fantastic. The very junior colours used on them, and their lack of action as well as being ridiculously oversized in that poorly designed "spaceship" all mean that aside from the White Dalek...they do indeed look a bit like a spoof of the real thing. I think the white Dalek Supreme really worked though, with the very deep voice and the lack of overwhelming colour complimenting the design a little more.
    You can tell changes were made behind the scenes regarding the Daleks by the very fact that we see the Ironsides blown up here - there was a certain confidence that these new Daleks were going to really take-off, but that never came to fruition. If they had truly intended to reuse the RTD-Daleks, wouldn't they have just "deactivated" them, or anything that was a bit less bombastic :p

Beyond the Daleks, we had a promising WW2 backdrop. It looked the part for sure, and served the themes of the episodes well, even if it didn't serve the plot very well. The Spitfires in space scene was impressive, I'll give them that. But the Daleks forcing London to "light up"... are humans not capable of taking a light bulb out?

It was a nice introduction to Winston Churchill played by Ace Ventura 2 star Ian McNiece, with relish. McNiece had of course been seen alongside Liz Ten in that movie...along with one Simon "Dickens" Callow :D It's a shame we didn't get to see more of Churchill than we did... he did a fine return job in The Wedding of River Song, but then he didn't have to actually play our Churchill. Bill Patterson was another great here, and it has to be said that the rather small cast wasn't a let down at all.

The episode of course explored the new development that Amy wasn't aware of the Dalek's existence... maybe she'd done a Donna and had been busy sunbathing during the global invasion? There were a few red herrings thrown in to keep us guessing about a larger plot, whilst the episodes main plot wound down with a rather feeble 'victory' of the Daleks... it wasn't really a victory was it? Their main purpose is to kill and destroy whilst to my knowledge nobody really meets their maker here. They simply fought to run away, and that's hardly a victory... it's a retreat. As such, it was the last third of the episode that ultimately let things down - the new Daleks did pretty much nothing apart from get their bizarrely filmed entrance that took itself way too seriously anyway, and they left no lasting impression as a result.

Victory of the Daleks wasn't an outright bad episode... it just did a lot of bad things. I think perhaps it was too soon to bring the Daleks back, and we could easily have gone through to The Big Bang before seeing the Stone Dalek... all the way to Asylum of the Daleks before we got another story from them.
    It's slightly ironic that for years people had pleaded for less Dalek-airtime, with perhaps a single part Dalek story rather than another two-parter. As soon as we get one, almost everyone agrees that if this story was to work effectively it would have needed two episodes to get through everything. 'Who can't win! ;)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were a few red herrings thrown in to keep us guessing about a larger plot, whilst the episodes main plot wound down with a rather feeble 'victory' of the Daleks... it wasn't really a victory was it? Their main purpose is to kill and destroy whilst to my knowledge nobody really meets their maker here. They simply fought to run away, and that's hardly a victory... it's a retreat.

It depends what your intentions are. The Daleks plan here was to get their new generation off the ground and they suceeded. They never intended here to kill and destroy in a grand scale.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It depends what your intentions are. The Daleks plan here was to get their new generation off the ground and they suceeded. They never intended here to kill and destroy in a grand scale.

Perhaps not in the context of the episode did they intend to kill and destroy, but 'victory' seemed a every big word to be parading around. It just felt a little bit forced in delivery when Matt had said that they'd won. I can see where they were coming from, and it was only a minor niggle I had. :)
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I also thought it very stupid that they outright destroyed the Ironside Daleks...
    Yes, I'm sure they were from inferior stock, but they knew it too and were happy to be subservient to the Skittle Daleks as they made very clear.
    Daleks might be about purity but in the past they've used other races as soldiers (pig men, Ogrons etc) so why not a slightly impure Dalek?
    Surely that's the next best thing to a pure Dalek anyway....

Also it leads to the ridiculous situation as the Skittle Daleks exterminate potential allys while their mortal enemy watches on and STILL they don't touch him!
    C'mon guys, at least while you're doing your target practice, take a shot at the one guy you SHOULD be shooting at :D
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also thought it very stupid that they outright destroyed the Ironside Daleks...
    Yes, I'm sure they were from inferior stock, but they knew it too and were happy to be subservient to the Skittle Daleks as they made very clear.
    Daleks might be about purity but in the past they've used other races as soldiers (pig men, Ogrons etc) so why not a slightly impure Dalek?
    Surely that's the next best thing to a pure Dalek anyway....

Also it leads to the ridiculous situation as the Skittle Daleks exterminate potential allys while their mortal enemy watches on and STILL they don't touch him!
    C'mon guys, at least while you're doing your target practice, take a shot at the one guy you SHOULD be shooting at :D

I thought it made perfect sense that the new Daleks destroyed the old. They have been known to kill other Daleks not like them before, (such as the humanoid ones in The Evil Of The Daleks) This new breed of Daleks would see any other sort of Daleks as not like them, hence they would destroy them. It matches in with the Dalek philosophy of not liking anything that isn't them.

• GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    I thought it made perfect sense that the new Daleks destroyed the old. They have been known to kill other Daleks not like them before, (such as the humanoid ones in The Evil Of The Daleks) This new breed of Daleks would see any other sort of Daleks as not like them, hence they would destroy them. It matches in with the Dalek philosophy of not liking anything that isn't them.

Agreed. But then you have to explain why all the Daleks were "playing nice" together in AotD.

My theory: Fear of Oswin's hacking ability.