Percy Jackson : Sea of Monsters

PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been looking out for a thread on this film for a while, when I saw a trailer and realised it was going to be released.

But none was started, so I thought I would, and see if anyone is looking forward to it? Or just like a place to discuss the upcoming film.

Comments

• chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, looking forward to this. I really enjoyed the first one which I warched without ever having heard of the character before
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first film was a pretty OK kids film, it didn't follow the book really well so book fans might have been disappointed but I didn't think it was a terrible film so I am surprised with the lack of interest.

The second one seems to be incorporating Kronos more in the film which will be good in they continue making the films although I am not sure they will be.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this is being released at last early next month, really looking forward to it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see someone else looking forward to it. It does seem to relatively quite on the publicity front, so with the lack of promotion and public interest I am wondering if they are even expecting this to do well - I doubt a third film will be made even if the film is a masterpiece.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed the film. Never read the books but I've been meaning to. Interested to see the next one for sure!
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually loved the first one. :p

Really looking forward to this one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Another person that thought the first film was great and was glad when a sequel was going to be made.
    I've not read the books but plan on doing so at some point.

In books Percy Jackson is quite a big deal and franchise, It's interesting how badly promoted and supported this and the first film was. You couldn't move for falling over Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games, but these films....... nothing!
    Whether it's because the book franchise is bigger in the UK than the US I don't know and thus the studio can't be arsed to really promote it properly I really don't know.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son ( now aged 10!) and me really enjoyed the first one and he can't wait for the new one.

I've only seen it advertised a few times though - and one of those times was a trailer in Despicable Me 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I saw the film, it was a nice little kids film which will no doubt entertain through the summer holidays. However for fans of the books, I think they will be fairly disappointed as they changed a fair amount not only to the plot of this book but the rest of the series.

I think I know why there wasn't much in the way of advertising and PR, as I don't think they are planning on a third film, yes they left enough that leaves it open ended for another film but I don't think they are expect one. Maybe that is just me though.

I liked the film enough for what it was but as a fan of the books it felt like someone with a vague recollection of the stories wrote it down on a piece of paper on the bus to the meeting. Leave your previous knowledge of the books at the door and I am sure you will enjoy the film enough to give it a 5 or 6 out of 10.
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the first one, I kind of enjoyed it despite the silliness and cliche element to it all.

That being said, I do plan on seeing number two as I really enjoyed the world and admired the story too.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was alright. Had a strong whiff of "poor mans Harry Potter" though.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never read the books but really enjoyed the first film and will be looking forward to seeing this one as well. I understand this is the 2nd part of a trilogy so it sounds like the studio expected to make all 3 films from the beginning. I have always liked mythology based films ever since the days of the late Ray Harryhausen and his amazing visual effects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never read the books but really enjoyed the first film and will be looking forward to seeing this one as well. I understand this is the 2nd part of a trilogy so it sounds like the studio expected to make all 3 films from the beginning. I have always liked mythology based films ever since the days of the late Ray Harryhausen and his amazing visual effects.

This would explain why they are not going with the books then, as there are 5 books, so to make a trilogy it would mean they are disregarding a fair amount from the books and moving along their own plot line.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally saw this last week, I loved the first one and was a little disappointed it seemed a bit disjointed and some parts were just a bit dull.
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the first one was OK (not read any of the books but love the Greek myths), however this one did nothing for me at all. It all just seemed a bit cheap and half-hearted.