how can you remove scratches from cd's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
Forum Member
✭✭
is there anyway of removing scratches from cds?
i ask cos i have a cd that has just been bought for me and it is sctatched can it be removed or should i take it back to the shop.
i played the disc and it jumped ever so slightly once.
i cleaned the disc with cotton wool/ water and the scratch remained but when i played the disc at the same point it did not jump.

any suggestions?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    No, I very much doubt that it is possible to remove a scratch.. I haven't ever been able too.. I'd take it back to the shop, simple way to solve the problem :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are kits you get that can supposedly get rid of light scratches.
  • JonRamboJonRambo Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    not at home right now, but ive got a gadget where you clamp cd to it, then drop some sort of lotion on cd, you then turn a handle around so cd spins round and the lotion gets evenly distributed, it creates a layer on disk and improves the quality. I bought in HMV at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard toothpast works, but I've never tried it my self...:)
  • kegsykegsy Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Try a brillo pad mate :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try silver polish. Rub gently in a circular motion. Let sit for a while then wipe off excess. Silver actually fills the gap. Worked for me a treat. Good luck!!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytas wrote:
    Try silver polish. Rub gently in a circular motion. Let sit for a while then wipe off excess. Silver actually fills the gap. Worked for me a treat. Good luck!!
    Is there any silver in silver polish? I don't think so, unless it's some special kind of silver polish. I'd guess the polish just acts as a mild abrasive and rubs down the scratches a little.

In any case, I'd assume that if you did fill in the scratches with something metallic and therefore opaque, the laser in the CD player would have even more of a problem with reading the CD.

Personally, OP, I wouldn't mess around with the CD. If you do, and then try to take it back to the shop when your "cure" hasn't worked, they're quite likely to say that the damage was your fault. If you can get the CD replaced by the shop, then why not do so?
  • CHaV sTicKCHaV sTicK Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kegsy wrote:
    Try a brillo pad mate :)
    LOL, you are being funny, right? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    i was once told if you put cds in the fridge they might work better. All of our cds at work that we play to customers that were scratched got put into a fridge for a few days to see if it worked. It never.
  • Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John, wrote:
    I've heard toothpaste works, but I've never tried it my self...:)

It does!
    the two times I've tried it.
  • Sir ChasmSir Chasm Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rip it and reburn it; try to keep your cds away from apostrophes :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote:
    No, I very much doubt that it is possible to remove a scratch.. I haven't ever been able too.. I'd take it back to the shop, simple way to solve the problem :)

Get yourself a cd repair kit and then you will remove all scratches. Scratches on a cd is like repairing a scratch on a window.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchase a replacement disc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Definately exchange the CD if you have the option.
    The scratch repair kits can work, depending on the depth of the scratch, but you should make a copy of the original CD (once fixed), to save problems later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some handy JML thingy on TV for that. It is a bit like a salad spinner for CDs!!!

You put the magic formula in, give it a spin and...hey presto, your discs all come out as good as new!!!

Not sure I believe it, but failing that you could always give it a good lick and rub it really hard on your trouser leg! :D