Options

The GD Refugee Thread : for all the reprobates

1249250251252253255»

Comments

• Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, this is painful. I'm watching the Games closing ceremony. I'm more interested in realising the drummer with Deacon Blue is also a bbc tv presenter up here.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching the TV movie on BBC Two - seems quite spooky. Feeling a little sorry for myself as well (oh brother(!)). Had a great early evening, now my mood seems to have swung - oh joy, blooming hormones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I'm watching the TV movie on BBC Two - seems quite spooky. Feeling a little sorry for myself as well (oh brother(!)). Had a great early evening, now my mood seems to have swung - oh joy, blooming hormones.

I was going to offer you chocolate, and then wasn't sure if you can eat it with your braces.:(
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »

Sorry to hear that...:( hey if there's anything any of us can do to cheer you up just say. :) One thing...do not turn to the closing ceremony cause that could only make matters worse...:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »
    I was going to offer you chocolate, and then wasn't sure if you can eat it with your braces.:(

Chocolate is the remedy for all. Just ask Remus Lupin! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocolate is the remedy for all. Just ask Remus Lupin! :cool:

I've still not forgiven
    JK Rowling for killing off Remus. Or Sirius for that matter. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope, fraid not. Eh its just a mood swing because I was in a really good mood earlier on, listening to the radio.

The weather seems to have deteriorated outside, sounds like its chucking it down. Makes me glad I'm indoors mind you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that...:( hey if there's anything any of us can do to cheer you up just say. :) One thing...do not turn to the closing ceremony cause that could only make matters worse...:o

Not really - thanks anyway though :) I probably should've stayed quiet, im typing a bit impulsively tonight.

Lol no I'm not watching that, not too interested after seeing Lulu at the start(!). I'm a bit bored of these over the top ceremonies, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still not forgiven
    JK Rowling for killing off Remus. Or Sirius for that matter. >:(

*shudders* I know... amazing characters! :( She showed Remus in a really bad light in Deathly Hallows as well, in his argument with Harry. That's just one of the things in DH that bugged me...
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *shudders* I know... amazing characters! :( She showed Remus in a really bad light in Deathly Hallows as well, in his argument with Harry. That's just one of the things in DH that bugged me...

I can't remember it properly (means I must read the books yet again!) but I thought that argument just showed the depth of the character and how scared he was.
    This is the argument they had when he runs away and offers to join Harry to find the horcruxes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I can't remember it properly (means I must read the books yet again!) but I thought that argument just showed the depth of the character and how scared he was.
    This is the argument they had when he runs away and offers to join Harry to find the horcruxes?

Yeah that's the part I was talking about...
    I guess it just really stressed me out that they were shouting at each other and that Lupin was being shown as too negative, like almost a coward leaving his wife and child, and Harry too aggressive towards him...? Don't know, it's a while since I've read it too. Though it was way way harsh for Jo to kill off both Lupin and Tonks in that way... I guess she just wanted to show the horror and losses of war. Of course, the main thing that I'll never forgive her for is Harry not ending up with who he should have (Luna) mwahaha :cool::blush:

I'm really looking forward to re-reading them all actually. I've never done 1-7 all at once and it's years since I've read most of them so I can't wait to read them with a new perspective now. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I might read the final 2 again :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might read the final 2 again :)

What did you think of the films? I admit to being pretty disappointed with most of the Half-Blood Prince film, in that it didn't really show enough of the Voldemort backstory and...yeah I will stop myself from going on a rant about it now lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did you think of the films? I admit to being pretty disappointed with most of the Half-Blood Prince film, in that it didn't really show enough of the Voldemort backstory and...yeah I will stop myself from going on a rant about it now lol.

I refused to ever watch any of the films, just because the HP series were the only books I ever really fell in love with growing up. They meant so much as I grew up along side them and I was a proper obsessed fan at one point!

But my ex did sit me down and make me watch a couple with him, I think I saw the first four. I suppose they were well done but I loved the characters I had created in my head and could never see past that :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    :o

Ours is 1.2 miles away :D
    So lucky.....:cry:

Mine is about 0.5 miles away (15 mins leisurely walk). I order Dominos from time to time, but takeaway pizzas are expensive.

I like pizza toppings, but I usually find the bases (dough) too stodgy and leave most of it behind.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    I like pizzas at Frankie & Bennys.

I've never even heard of them, though there are (using the store locator) 10 within a 20 miles or so radius. The nearest one here is at the airport, and they don't seem to do much marketing/advertising.

To put things in perspective. I've lived here longer than I can remember (mid 1990's or so) and I've been to Luton Airport once, and that was to look at the planes (not take a flight) in all those years.
    Can you tell I'm useless at dates. I have difficulty remembering what I did date wise a week ago, let along 20+ years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refused to ever watch any of the films, just because the HP series were the only books I ever really fell in love with growing up. They meant so much as I grew up along side them and I was a proper obsessed fan at one point!

But my ex did sit me down and make me watch a couple with him, I think I saw the first four. I suppose they were well done but I loved the characters I had created in my head and could never see past that :)

So great that you're a fan, particularly of the books, I don't trust anyone who hasn't read them! :D

Yeah you've got to admit that the film trio (Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson) hardly bear much resemblence to their book versions, even though they obviously did the best they could. Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one of the films I really like because it's easy to take it as a proper work in it's own right and something that actually added to the books. The way they did the Dementors was amazing as well.

Bex, if you haven't seen the last few I would honestly recomend not doing... both the Order film and HBP really stressed me out! and Deathly Hallows, despite being split into 2 parts, still didn't get the magic of the book onscreen. What was, for me, one of the best things JKR wrote about, Dumbledore's past, was just glossed over...>:(

Anyway what's done is done and the books will stand forever!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So great that you're a fan, particularly of the books, I don't trust anyone who hasn't read them! :D

Yeah you've got to admit that the film trio (Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson) hardly bear much resemblence to their book versions, even though they obviously did the best they could. Prisoner of Azkaban is the only one of the films I really like because it's easy to take it as a proper work in it's own right and something that actually added to the books. The way they did the Dementors was amazing as well.

Bex, if you haven't seen the last few I would honestly recomend not doing... both the Order film and HBP really stressed me out! and Deathly Hallows, despite being split into 2 parts, still didn't get the magic of the book onscreen. What was, for me, one of the best things JKR wrote about, Dumbledore's past, was just glossed over...>:(

You don't trust me then? ;-)

I wrote this poem last thing last night (see:- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74067988&postcount=1872)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd agree- Prisoner of Azkaban was by far the best film of the 8. I love the books though, the films just can't live up to them, unless they were about ten hours long, each.

Perhaps a little controversially, did anyone else think the Deathly Hallows book seemed as though it was quite heavily edited? I felt it was, reading it, as though chunks had been taken out of the final publication.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,853
    Administrator
    This thread is continued here: The GD Refugee Thread : for all the reprobates
This discussion has been closed.