grandparents bt line down

hi, just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this problem

my grandparents just rang me on their mobile saying that their landline phone isnt working.
Apparantly they had a call earlier and when the call finished they still had 'incoming call' on the handset, so they presumed that the other person had not hung up, as they line was still engaged.
Well, after a while they rang this person on their mobile and it turned out that they had hung up.

They're very elderly and get quite stressed about things, so I have just rung BT for them. I went through a series of questions, and they were able to test my grandparents line, which they said was working fine. However, I didnt at any point get through to a real person and couldnt find an option to.

Despite them telling me that the line is fine the phone is still not working. I'm going round to check later, but they said that the phones are definitely plugged in, on the hook and charged and I believe that they probably are

Any ideas?

Comments

• HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    It sounds like you're saying they have DECT cordless phones.

For their handset(s) to say 'incoming call' it appears THEIR phones are faulty. I had a similar thing the other week with mine - answered an incoming call and the most horrendous tone was all I could hear. I cleared down but the noise remained when I went off hook again.

Cutting a long story short, a corded phone worked perfectly and, when I finished the call, I went back to the DECT. Same problem still.

However, a mains off, count to ten, mains on re-boot solved the problem instantly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks, when I pop round later I'll try that.