Samsung SMT - S7800 Freesat PVR 1080P

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    @terrykl and @Automan

Just finish testing

I have recorded two channels at the same time while watching a third channel.

The two recorded channels were CBBC and Popgirl and the third watch channel (all at the same time) was Pop..:D

see my photo link above (No 32) and go to the new photos number 055, 056 and 057 just uploaded to see.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Thanks ztoppe.

How noisy is the box - can you hear the hard drive much or the fan?

Also, I know the box is DLNA compliant (e.g. you can play stuff over the network stored on your PC) BUT can it act as a DLNA server i.e. could you connect to the S7800 from a networked Samsung TV in another room and watch recorded material from there?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ztoppe wrote: »
    @terrykl and @Automan

Just finish testing

I have recorded two channels at the same time while watching a third channel.

The two recorded channels were CBBC and Popgirl and the third watch channel (all at the same time) was Pop..:D

see my photo link above (No 32) and go to the new photos number 055, 056 and 057 just uploaded to see.:)

Can you try recording BBC1-HD and BBC-HD at the same time and see if you can live watch ITV1-HD and live pause it ?. If this works can you record the buffer at the same time ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    @rozet

...I will check out what you ask for when I am able to.
    I will wait patiently, good luck and

Thanks for all the other stuff you are checking (whilst keeping the family happy) - it is also much appreciated.

I see you have quite a list of questions which should have been answered by Samsung providing a downloadable manual!
  • galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    This is looking quite promising. I hope Humax take note, and realise that if you don't introduce the features people want, other manufacturers will. I wonder what Samsung ongoing support is like?
    Forum Member
    waynejac wrote: »
    Picture appears in top left hand part of guide.

Thanks for your input too!

To help with ztoppes list of queries; any chance you could have a look at my query about the non-freesat mode timer recording possibilities? ie can you set them up manually or via epg or is like the humax that only live recording is possible?

I ask this particularly because it is a key issue for anyone with a multi-lnb setup (whilst not so critical for those with only freesat/28.2E) and led me not to get the humax
    Forum Member
    Can you try recording BBC1-HD and BBC-HD at the same time and see if you can live watch ITV1-HD and live pause it ?. If this works can you record the buffer at the same time ?

Just tested this out

and it is a YES:D recording BBC1-HD and BBC-HD at the same time as watching ITV1-HD and pause live TV then play then fast forward to get back on to the live TV on ITV-HD.

So that is another thing that is working on this:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tested this out

and it is a YES:D recording BBC1-HD and BBC-HD at the same time as watching ITV1-HD and pause live TV then play then fast forward to get back on to the live TV on ITV-HD.

So that is another thing that is working on this:D:D

Can you record the timeshift buffer (ITV1-HD) while recording the two BBC-HD channels. (Record 3 at the same time) ?

If so can you schedule the three channels to record at the same time ?

Sorry to be a pain but there's a million questions to come :D

Downside of being one of the first to have one in the wild :D
    Forum Member
    Can you record the timeshift buffer (ITV1-HD) while recording the two BBC-HD channels. (Record 3 at the same time) ?

If so can you schedule the three channels to record at the same time ?

Sorry to be a pain but there's a million questions to come :D

Downside of being one of the first to have one in the wild :D

If there is three programs on all at the same time which you want to record it can be done. because I have just done it.
    HOW it is done:

Schedule the first TWO channels to record as normal.
    Then go to the Third channel a few minutes before the Program start and leave it on.
    When one of the other channels finish recording (you can check by pressing the "info" on the remote) just press record on the channel you are on and then press record full program on the pop up.
    It will then take the full program from the buffer and record the start of full program on to the samsung drive.

You will end up with all three programs recorded on the drive.
    That is how I did it. ( I did it my way:D:D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is three programs on all at the same time which you want to record it can be done. because I have just done it.
    HOW it is done:

Schedule the first TWO channels to record as normal.
    Then go to the Third channel a few minutes before the Program start and leave it on.
    When one of the other channels finish recording (you can check by pressing the "info" on the remote) just press record on the channel you are on and then press record full program on the pop up.
    It will then take the full program from the buffer and record the start of full program on to the samsung drive.

You will end up with all three programs recorded on the drive.
    That is how I did it. ( I did it my way:D:D)

Brilliant news, it works because like the hdr one tuner can handle two channels from the same mux. In the above example BBC1-HD and BBC-HD are recorded using just one tuner which is why a third channel can be timeshifted (and recorded). In theory you could record 4 at once, two from one transponder and two from another. Can you not start the third recording till one of the other two finishes ?

This leaves the question can you use the epg to schedule the three recordings.
    Forum Member
    andy83 wrote: »
    Thanks ztoppe.

How noisy is the box - can you hear the hard drive much or the fan?

I can't hear anything from the box unless I put my ear very close to the box and then it is just a small humming sound also the box does not get hot.
  • terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ztoppe,
    Many thanks for your reply.
  • djmarkdjmark Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Does the Samsung work on single lnb feed ok? I might get one :D
    Forum Member
    Currys just put the price up to 279.99... Thought it was a low price at 249...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    So have Dixons and PCWorld (part of same group I know).

Swines!

I'm waiting for Amazon anyway, as all of the above won't deliver to France where I'm based.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djmark wrote: »
    Does the Samsung work on single lnb feed ok? I might get one :D

Looking at the pictures of the rear there does not appear to be a loop capability like the hdr to feed the second tuner. Without this it would be record one and view another from the same transponder at best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Whew ! just got under the wire then. Looked good enough from ztoppe's reports that I ordered this lunchtime @ £249.00. Before that I tried samsung phone support for any more info, they did not know about it either ! I think Samsungs employees are very much mushrooms :D
    Forum Member
    luckily ordered mine last week - but as the delivery dates were all in the future, thought I'd pay the £5 extra for guaranteed date tomorrow rather than get it at some random time in the future on free delivery. Sounds like it didn't pay off but nevermind..

Will post any comments friday if I get enough of a chance to play tomorrow night when it comes.

Just cancelled $KY HD - I am sure they got a months suscription from the 30 minute premium rate phone call and numerous cut offs I had beforehand...
    Forum Member
    nickdenker wrote: »
    Currys just put the price up to 279.99... Thought it was a low price at 249...

That is a jump of £30.99
    They did have 999 units in their warehouse on Sunday teatime when I ordered mine on their websitie. So they might be running low now.

I got my for £249 post free and received it in less than 48 hours, which was fast when I have seen other people waiting a lot longer.
    Forum Member
    That is a jump of £30.99
    They did have 999 units in their warehouse on Sunday teatime when I ordered mine on their websitie. So they might be running low now.

I got my for £249 post free and received it in less than 48 hours, which was fast when I have seen other people waiting a lot longer.

Yeh not sure why I thought choosing a delivery time was safer... It's been despatched anyway so definitely arrive tomorrow. Maybe they just wanted to get in first and sell a load at near cost? Or a good deal from Samsung...
    Forum Member
    £249 was in keeping with the price level of the 500gb humax and I will hope it comes back down as more retailers start to sell it. Interesting how so many of the queries refer to stuff the humax has struggled with / not delivered.

Everything tested so far looks promising but I'm still hoping to hear about the availability of non-freesat timer recording? Anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Hmmm interesting! I wonder if it will temp me away from my Humax Foxsat?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    >Everything tested so far looks promising but I'm still hoping to hear about the availability of non-freesat timer recording? Anyone?

Yes, timer recording works also in non-freesat mode
  • MicroSmurfMicroSmurf Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amarok wrote: »
    >Everything tested so far looks promising but I'm still hoping to hear about the availability of non-freesat timer recording? Anyone?

Yes, timer recording works also in non-freesat mode
    Thats it I'm sold! My Sky sub ended today so I now have a box that is crippled, I was going to get a Humax but then saw this box on the horizon and waited. Was going to order one this evening but balked when I saw the sudden price rise, might just do it anyway now as this sounds like the box for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Can you copy files to usb stick, like the Humax?