Options

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise my son was gay until he told me, yet the signs were all there.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I used to think that Top Gear's Tiff Needell was called Tiffney Dell :D

So did I.

Used to wonder why he had such a girlie first name. :)
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a runner called Olegsander during the European Games.

I then knew that Oleg is a version of Alex.
  • Options
    KikiDafuqKikiDafuq Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    That disinterested is different from uninterested.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KikiDafuq wrote: »
    That disinterested is different from uninterested.

Nice post :)
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice post :)

Ain't it just:)

Something that sometimes seems almost impossible to get across.
  • Options
    Sarah_lou63Sarah_lou63 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    That sunflower oil comes from, er, sunflowers. As do sunflower seeds. Someone, somewhere, is growing an awful lot of sunflowers....
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just realised but until they revamped university challenge and you could see the true orientation of the contestants I did genuinely think there was a two tiered set with one of the UNIs being seated "upstairs"!!!
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Not just realised but until they revamped university challenge and you could see the true orientation of the contestants I did genuinely think there was a two tiered set with one of the UNIs being seated "upstairs"!!!

well they did it with top of the form

http://www.staugs.org/tvtoftf_images/Academy%20TOTF%20picture.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    For years I though Billericay was in Ireland.

It DOES sound very Irish though doesn't it?

I thought Dunstable was in Scotland, it's in Bedfordshire :blush:
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the nursery rhyme was 'One man went to Mo, went to Mo, a meadow' - that is, a meadow named Mo.

I always wondered why all these people were going to this meadow Mo. Although I suppose a whole load of people going to mow a meadow with lawnmowers or whatever doesnt make much more sense!
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Amazon for more than a decade now, yet it was only a month or two back that I noticed that the little smile under the Amazon logo is actually an arrow that points 'From A to Z'.
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    I spent a lot of my life thinking that 'Good King Wenclas last looked out' - still have trouble remembering that his name is actually Wenceslas :D
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Mrs Doubtfire first came out, I was about 7. I remember my family and I watching it, roaring with laughter at some of the lines. I asked what was funny, they told me an alternative line without the swearing (I think it was broke my bag of plaster) I just accepted this and duly giggled along with them.

A few years ago (more than 2 decades later) I'm sat watching the film with the subtitles on. The line comes up (broke my bag the bastard!) I couldn't believe they'd lied to me and I'd just accepted it, so enraged I called home to give the parents a lecture! I can still hear them laughing now that it took me so long to figure out!
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A really embarrassing one is I used to think the disabled signs for parking was if you need the toilet really really badly I was a young kid though.

The other thing was when I heard on the news on the radio something about rape I would always hear rake and think think that someone went to another person and hit them with a rake again I was young.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,294
    Forum Member
    The Wizard Of Oz is a film about two women fighting over a pair of shoes.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    The Wizard Of Oz is a film about two women fighting over a pair of shoes.

It isn't though.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,294
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    It isn't though.

Okay. It's about a young girl, transported to a surreal world kills the first person she meets, then teams up with three strangers to kill again.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    I didn't realise my son was gay until he told me, yet the signs were all there.

I was like that with Freddie Mercury, when the tragic news about his Aids infection broke.

"Gay? Are you quite sure about that? He just seems such a man's man........ohhhh"
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    That I don't need to enter the 4-digit passcode and log into my iphone to take a photo, the obvious camera icon on the lockout screen means I can do it from there. A recent tip from my colleague.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,591
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I've been using Amazon for more than a decade now, yet it was only a month or two back that I noticed that the little smile under the Amazon logo is actually an arrow that points 'From A to Z'.

Oh, yes, so it does. I never realised that until you pointed it out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The other thing was when I heard on the news on the radio something about rape I would always hear rake and think think that someone went to another person and hit them with a rake again I was young.

When I was very young I once heard rape described as "sexual assault" but misheard it as "sexual salt". That puzzled me for a while!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I spent a lot of my life thinking that 'Good King Wenclas last looked out' - still have trouble remembering that his name is actually Wenceslas :D

I thought that too for a while. Probably a common mishearing due to the incorrect(?) stress on the last syllable of Wenceslas.

Also it took me a long time to realise that in the hymn "There is a green hill far away/Without a city wall", the word "without" actually means "outside"...
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A small interesting add on is that the proper un-Anglicised name for the King is Vaclav whcih does fit in the line as 'Good King Vaclav last looked out...'.

Had fun belting that out wandering around Prague last December :)
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Hors d'oeuvre is pronounced 'Orderve' and not 'Hores-Dee-Orv' as I've been saying. :blush: