Options

Another Will question

alan kearnalan kearn Posts: 911
Forum Member
✭✭
I am 82 years old and my last will made 19 years ago has my wife is first in line then states equal parts to each of my four sisters whose ages at present vary between 65 and 78 years old they like me are at an age where we can abruptly leave this earth.
There are no special bequests and nothing of real value in our home that would be worth arguing about.
My home is paid for and I do have some cash assets and nothing that could cause any complications.
Three of my sisters have one daughter the other sister has two daughters.

Now to my question
If one of my sisters dies will her portion of the will be automatically paid out to her daughter/daughters or do I need to have a new will that includes the daughters.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you need to name them specifically they won't get a share automatically.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan kearn wrote: »
    I am 82 years old and my last will made 19 years ago has my wife is first in line then states equal parts to each of my four sisters whose ages at present vary between 65 and 78 years old they like me are at an age where we can abruptly leave this earth.
    There are no special bequests and nothing of real value in our home that would be worth arguing about.
    My home is paid for and I do have some cash assets and nothing that could cause any complications.
    Three of my sisters have one daughter the other sister has two daughters.

Now to my question
    If one of my sisters dies will her portion of the will be automatically paid out to her daughter/daughters or do I need to have a new will that includes the daughters.

Thanks

Yes, if any blood relative in your will dies with surviving children they will share the deceased inheritance in equal shares, unless the will states explicitly otherwise.

Oh, and bear in mind, your home is likely to be considered by your beneficiaries as quite valuable, even if you don't see it that way.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    No you need to name them specifically they won't get a share automatically.

Have a look here...
  • Options
    alan kearnalan kearn Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »

Thanks for the post but I am a bit thick regarding anything in legal speak like this.