Options

Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• Options
    KindaKinda Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that never solved, Jon Benet Ramsay? I followed that quite closely at one time, she was such a pretty little girl but oh my word, I am really not sure what to make of the childrens pageants (No offence!)
    I thought the parents had been cleared though?

Lord Lucan - you can read the mystery here!

http://www.lordlucan.com/

Also, do you know if the Bermuda Triangle documentary you watched is available anywhere?

Hi Lizzie, yes the parents were cleared quite recently...officially cleared I mean but there's something about that which doesn't sit totally right...it could have been done for legal reasons, think there were lawsuit threats. For me it was the length of the ransom note that made no sense, plus the fact the murderer sat there writing it so very calmly before the incident and not knowing when exactly the family would be home...

p.s. children's pageants are beyond tacky and vaguely obscene...no offence taken!

Thanks for the link (Lord Lucan)...I hadn't heard of the case at all...surprising for me :p

The documentary...even as was writing it, I was trying hard to remember what channel I had seen it on and what it was called. A very well made and reasoned piece...I'm going to say on the Discovery Channel, but as soon as it comes to me, with the help of their search feature! ...I will post it to you. Sorry about that...I know how irritating it is to be told there's a good piece out there...but no name :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    The Bermuda Tirangle No, I agree there. That is a genuine mystery. How did a song like that ever become a hit? It defies all reason.

That had me laughing out loud...... :D:D
  • Options
    End-Em-AllEnd-Em-All Posts: 23,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bmillam wrote: »
    how the hell Tony Blair ever got elected :D:D:D

For me it's why Tony Blair isn't facing the war crimes tribunal in the Hague :mad:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Einstein is alive & well....

Nah, he's well thicker than me. But I got better hair.

Think my cryptic nature flew right over your head, eh?;)
  • Options
    chebbychebby Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    PiggyHiggy wrote: »
    Er the disappearance of the "trial begins part 2" thread.... I don't know I go away for a few hours and pooof it's gone when I get back...:eek:

Lizzy / Chebby what did you do? ;)

Or do I need a trip to specsavers :D

We have no idea, it was whooshed away. :D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »

1) The Bermuda Triangle - real or myth? Is it just coincidence that so many ships and planes disappear??

There's also one called the Nevada Triangle. Steve Fossett's plane crashed in that area, I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bmillam wrote: »
    It was your fauly was it :mad:

Sorry :cry::cry:
    Well I recognised your names in this thread and thought if I laid blame at your door you would be quick to get the lawyers in and have me carter rucked!! :D:D

Yeah, you watch it!

(Carter Rucked! Love that its SO silly. Bet he loves it too!)
    The Bermuda Tirangle No, I agree there. That is a genuine mystery. How did a song like that ever become a hit? It defies all reason.

Don't diss Barry Manilow :p
    Kinda wrote: »
    Hi Lizzie, yes the parents were cleared quite recently...officially cleared I mean but there's something about that which doesn't sit totally right...it could have been done for legal reasons, think there were lawsuit threats. For me it was the length of the ransom note that made no sense, plus the fact the murderer sat there writing it so very calmly before the incident and not knowing when exactly the family would be home...

p.s. children's pageants are beyond tacky and vaguely obscene...no offence taken!

Thanks for the link (Lord Lucan)...I hadn't heard of the case at all...surprising for me :p

The documentary...even as was writing it, I was trying hard to remember what channel I had seen it on and what it was called. A very well made and reasoned piece...I'm going to say on the Discovery Channel, but as soon as it comes to me, with the help of their search feature! ...I will post it to you. Sorry about that...I know how irritating it is to be told there's a good piece out there...but no name :o

Oh thats ok, If you think of it, let me know. I'm sure I can find one somewhere, I quite fancy watching something about it!

As for jonbenet, yes I thought that was the case. Didnt her mum die recently as well, or have I got that wrong?
    End-Em-All wrote: »
    For me it's why Tony Blair isn't facing the war crimes tribunal in the Hague :mad:

Mmm...not sure I'm with you there. Bit on the fence. But then you are used to that from me. :D
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chebby wrote: »
    Mrs Teapot .....:D
    Found any more happy music , to slash yours wrists by..:)
    Loved that advice...:D:D:D

Happy to oblige :D

I suppose music lyrics can be mysterious can't they so not really off topic ;)
  • Options
    kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Keniki I remember Genette Tate for two reasons,... I have a similar name and I looked like her (we were the same age at the time of her disappearance)...:eek:

I envy you then. as the reason I remember her so well is because she had such a lovely pixie like face, I thought she was beautiful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just off to watch The Skate Off. Back later. :)
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That had me laughing out loud...... :D:D

I cant claim the Credit for that im a huge Red Dwarf fan :p
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    What real life mysteries have intrigued and baffled you?

There are several that spring to mind.

1) The Bermuda Triangle - real or myth? Is it just coincidence that so many ships and planes disappear??

2) Jack the Ripper. Many theories have come up over the years, none of which I am convinced by, although I reckon Patricia Cornwell had a point!

3) Madeleine Mccann and Ben Needham, where did they go? - what really happened? Still hoping for an outcome to those in the future.

4) Where exactly did Lord Lucan go?

Anyone have any more? Any theories on any of the above?

I find it all intriguing.....

2, 3 & 4 intrigue me. I always suspected that Lord Lucan was helped to escape by his wealthy pals - so unfair. As if the fact it was 'only' the nanny that died made it somehow less serious.
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    God

*hides*
    :D
    Er the disappearance of the "trial begins part 2" thread.... I don't know I go away for a few hours and pooof it's gone when I get back...:eek:

Lizzy / Chebby what did you do? ;)

Or do I need a trip to specsavers :D

I was momentarily flummoxed by that one too.

:D:D:D Indeed.

Another one that comes to mind is the sinking of the Estonia - such a truly dreadful accident. Did they ever agree about the cause? I think there was an official report but lots of disagreement and then there was going to be a research project to try and reconstruct the sinking.
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    I believe Robert Black was suspected of her abduction and murder.

Wouldn't surprise me, I reckon he's responsible for many unsolved abductions and murders.

One of the mysteries have bothered me, is whether Peter Sutcliffe really has/had schizophrenia? He was assessed by four psychiatrists, and deemed as having schizophrenia. But if you look at the dates of the murders and the attempted murders, they span a number of years and he would have had to have had a schizophrenic episode incredibly frequently during one particular year or a schizophrenic episode for that entire year. Yet, nobody noticed his behaviour was odd?, paranoid schizophrenia has different symptoms to 'normal' schizophrenia but for him to being hearing voices from God and acting on them and no-one noticed?

Also, this whole idea that he heard voices from God to kill prostitutes and yet the first two crimes he was convicted of was two attempted murders of women who weren't prostitutes. I saw a documentary with a man who claimed he was a victim of Sutcliffes and I think there's some evidence somewhere that he had previous victims prior to the ones he was convicted of and some were male.
  • Options
    sHaKsHaK Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »

3) I don't think Madeleine was abducted. But I don't think she was murdered, either. I think she has gone.

So you don't think she was abducted, and you don't think she was murdered.

So how has she gone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I've got a Reader's Digest book of 'Strange Stories and Amazing Facts'. I used to love it, even if some of the stories scared the crap out of me (faces appearing on the floor, haunted houses etc:o) especially the unsolved mysteries section.

I can't remember any of the stories of the top of my head though. I'll look it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keniki wrote: »
    These baffle me as well.

Also what really happened to Genette Tate, I can still see her pixie like face after all these years. Cant remember exactly how long now.
    Does anyone else remember her.

The Genette Tate disappearance always haunted me!!

Here's what it says on Wikipedia:

Genette Tate (born 1965) became a cause celebre when she went missing aged 13 whilst delivering newspapers in Aylesbeare, Devon, England, on 19 August 1978. Her bicycle and scattered newspapers were found lying in the middle of a quiet country lane only minutes after she had been speaking to two friends.

Thirty years on, her disappearance remains unexplained. Police have investigated the possibility that she was murdered at the hands of serial child killer Robert Black, who was found guilty of murdering three children in 1994. In August 2008 police announced that there was not enough evidence to charge Black for the crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genette_Tate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Robert Black was suspected of her abduction and murder.

Sorry to appear so ignorant, but who is Robert Black?
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't surprise me, I reckon he's responsible for many unsolved abductions and murders.

One of the mysteries have bothered me, is whether Peter Sutcliffe really has/had schizophrenia? He was assessed by four psychiatrists, and deemed as having schizophrenia. But if you look at the dates of the murders and the attempted murders, they span a number of years and he would have had to have had a schizophrenic episode incredibly frequently during one particular year or a schizophrenic episode for that entire year. Yet, nobody noticed his behaviour was odd?, paranoid schizophrenia has different symptoms to 'normal' schizophrenia but for him to being hearing voices from God and acting on them and no-one noticed?

Also, this whole idea that he heard voices from God to kill prostitutes and yet the first two crimes he was convicted of was two attempted murders of women who weren't prostitutes. I saw a documentary with a man who claimed he was a victim of Sutcliffes and I think there's some evidence somewhere that he had previous victims prior to the ones he was convicted of and some were male.

Nah, he does not have schizophrenia (IMO)...my aunty (not a real aunty...friend of family...you know the type :o) lived with Sutcliffe's brother in the 1970s and said she was surprised it was Peter being the killer because the brother was a "right psycho bastard"...Peter Sutcliffe has tried for years to be allowed to come off his medication for schizophrenia because of the terrible side-effects...effects that would not be that bad were he actually genuinely ill.

His wife gave him the alibis, btw...she had learning difficulties and was very easily led.

Obviously, I cannot prove none of this and that but hey....:o
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    An interesting thread.

I always found the Peter Falconio case interesting especially when people came forward saying that they had seen him after he 'disappeared.' Remember the uproar their was about his girlfriends behaviour towards it and that ITV interview she did.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, he does not have schizophrenia (IMO)...my aunty (not a real aunty...friend of family...you know the type :o) lived with Sutcliffe's brother in the 1970s and said she was surprised it was Peter being the killer because the brother was a "right psycho bastard"...Peter Sutcliffe has tried for years to be allowed to come off his medication for schizophrenia because of the terrible side-effects...effects that would not be that bad were he actually genuinely ill.

His wife gave him the alibis, btw...she had learning difficulties and was very easily led.

I don't know why, but I alway thought Sonia Sutcliffe was a teacher. Probably just me being dozy:o
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I alway thought Sonia Sutcliffe was a teacher. Probably just me being dozy:o

There is an excellent, chilling, book about the entire case called Wicked Beyond Belief by Michael Bilton that fills in a lot of things...I only read that recently due to my aunty's sudden desire to confess her dodgy past...:eek:
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keniki wrote: »
    Sorry to appear so ignorant, but who is Robert Black?

Serial child murderer. Serving Life after being convicted of three murders in 1994. Suspected of many more abductions/killings including Genette Tate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Serial child murderer. Serving Life after being convicted of three murders in 1994. Suspected of many more abductions/killings including Genette Tate.[/QUOTE

Thank you
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member

Thanks, I'm glad someone else agrees with me, it's always taken to be a given imo, that Sutcliffe has schizophrenia and whenever I mention it, people always disagree with me. From a woman's perspective, I think perpetuating the notion that Sutcliffe has schizophrenia helps to downgrade the lack of response to the murders by the police.

Another mystery that has baffled me, is whether it's just coincidence that Wearside Jack John Humble was/is a B-secreter as was the murderer of the woman referred to in his letters but not ultimately attributed to Sutcliffe.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    JonBenet Ramsey
    Madeleine McCann
    The Bermuda Triangle