Far Cry 4

Comments

• JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Really? I thought FC3 was marred by the unlikeable player character, and by various jarring choices in the world. It was intended as satire, but that didn't work. FC2 had similar pretensions (the player missions are mostly doing evil things for hire, such as destroying water sources), and FC3 goes even more over-board with it. I'm hoping they step back from that in FC4 and just make it a good game. (Or else get the satire right this time. I don't object to them putting male rapes in a game if they judge it right.)

FC1 was under-rated. It had a better story and graphics and physics that were well ahead of the curve (it came out long before Half-Life 2), without the politics.
    Maybe I should have put 'IMO' with my post.

Imo FC3 was spot one with characters and gameplay. It was a lot of fun to play. I've played the other 2 Far Cry games but could never get into them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would put far cry 3 up their with my fav games of the last gen. Really interested to see if ubisoft have any info at E3.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    The synopsis was briefly leaked online but it has since been pulled

It readd,
    "Hidden in the majestic Himalayas lies Kyrat, a country steeped in tradition and violence. You are Ajay Ghale. Traveling to Kyrat to fulfill your mother’s dying wish, you find yourself caught up in a civil war to overthrow the oppressive regime of dictator Pagan Min.
    "Explore and navigate this vast open world, where danger and unpredictability lurk around every corner. Here, every decision counts, and every second is a story. Welcome to Kyrat."
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Really? I thought FC3 was marred by the unlikeable player character, and by various jarring choices in the world. It was intended as satire, but that didn't work. FC2 had similar pretensions (the player missions are mostly doing evil things for hire, such as destroying water sources), and FC3 goes even more over-board with it. I'm hoping they step back from that in FC4 and just make it a good game. (Or else get the satire right this time. I don't object to them putting male rapes in a game if they judge it right.)

FC1 was under-rated. It had a better story and graphics and physics that were well ahead of the curve (it came out long before Half-Life 2), without the politics.
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Maybe I should have put 'IMO' with my post.

Imo FC3 was spot one with characters and gameplay. It was a lot of fun to play. I've played the other 2 Far Cry games but could never get into them.

Have to agree with Brangdon on the main character. Jason never shut up yacking and was far too whiny at the beginning, middle and right up until the very end when he suddenly turns badass. He was the only let down in the whole game.
    bob2005 wrote: »
    I would put far cry 3 up their with my fav games of the last gen. Really interested to see if ubisoft have any info at E3.

Agreed. But I'd put Blood Dragon ahead of it. Just. The gameplay was the same and it was very short but it was much more fun. Would have loved a full game based in that style for FC4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they keep the same type of free roam elements that made 3 so good.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only recently offered FC3 a run and have been profoundly impressed. Top visuals, strong ambient audio, an array of RPG elements and all the exploratory longevity and diversity that the open game world provides. A 'next gen' variant will be potentially stunning and an almost certain day one PSN download here. Look forward to the E3 showcase on this one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll have to work hard to beat the characteristics of the villians. Vaas is up there with the best villians in videogames.
    Forum Member
    The review scores are coming in thick & fast and they all sound promising

Eurogamer – 8
    Videogamer – 8
    Joystiq – 4.5/5
    Destructoid – 9
    The Guardian – 5/5
    CVG – 9
    GamesRadar – 4/5
    Metro – 9
    GodisaGeek – 9
    GamesVillage [Italian] – 8.7
    XGN [Dutch] – 8
    IGN Germany – 8.3
    Eurogamer Spain – 9
    Trusted Reviews – 8

I had been stuck on which 2 games to get for Christmas but it's definitely going to be this & GTA 5 now. I'm going to try and avoid as many spoilers as possible between now and ten but I migjt dabble in a bit of Share Play between now and the if anyone can be so kind 😘
  • iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Looks like I'll be picking this up aswell as GTA 5 tomorrow. Just aswell I have over £120 in games to trade in lol.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read about all of comparisons with far cry 3 and that if its anything like that then it will be amazing because apparently thats one of the greatest games ever. Well for me other than great graphics it was a pile of crap. Basically just going to one camp kill everyone and move on to the next. Got very repetitive and boring. Unfortunately also the bug where if you went back to previous camp you had kill all the baddies again didn't help. So I really hope far cry 4 has more than that and not just great visuals.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait it's sounding good, one slight concern though, whilst its good theres added co-op/multiplayer modes I personally think the whole appeal of Far Cry is you, the player, being 'lone wolf'. I'm sure it still has that but I hope the series is not generally moving to a multiplayer direction!
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    The review scores are coming in thick & fast and they all sound promising

IGN Germany – 8.3
    Eurogamer Spain – 9
    Trusted Reviews – 8

I had been stuck on which 2 games to get for Christmas but it's definitely going to be this & GTA 5 now. I'm going to try and avoid as many spoilers as possible between now and ten but I migjt dabble in a bit of Share Play between now and the if anyone can be so kind 😘

I'm getting it from psn, watched a stream yesterday on 'live from playstation'. It is jaw dropping in it's prettyness. (only saw prologue before it was pulled). I'll send you a key to kryat or shareplay with you no problem.
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I'm getting it from psn, watched a stream yesterday on 'live from playstation'. It is jaw dropping in it's prettyness. (only saw prologue before it was pulled). I'll send you a key to kryat or shareplay with you no problem.

That would be great, thanks! Do you know if the Key to Kyrat is the same as Share Play in that you need to have your PS4 switched on so I can play or is it just something you send & I can use it at any time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    That would be great, thanks! Do you know if the Key to Kyrat is the same as Share Play in that you need to have your PS4 switched on so I can play or is it just something you send & I can use it at any time?

It's for co-op. You get two hours apparently. It's no problem, we could do the prologue then it wouldn't be to spoilery. (even if you are a Rangers fan:p)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting difference in review embargoes for this and AC Unity.

Did Ubisoft lift it four days before release due to being stung by all the criticism regarding Unity's post-release review embargo... or perhaps it was going to lift it early anyway due to being more confident in the game?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloading to the ps4 now, I only ordered standard edition but the season pass has downloaded (which you don't get on standard edition). I imagine it won't work!
    Forum Member
    Ive got keys I can release just now, how does it work exactly?
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for this :D
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking so forward to this game - will it be in shops on Tuesday? This and Smash Bros Wii u are my most anticipated games this year!
    Forum Member
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    I'm looking so forward to this game - will it be in shops on Tuesday? This and Smash Bros Wii u are my most anticipated games this year!

Could try the shops tomorrow, some will release it early.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if I can be bothered staying up to midnight to try it? Depends how much beer I havethis evening I guess. It's all downloaded and ready to go...
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i ordered the Kyrat edition...

Pagan Min our saviour can sit next to the Watchdogs fella:)
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i ordered the Kyrat edition...

Pagan Min our saviour can sit next to the Watchdogs fella:)

Ya getting wiiu watchdogs now? :D ... I've just realised I've got the ps4 version & forgot all about it! :blush: (might try it on my PSTV) :)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Ya getting wiiu watchdogs now? :D ... I've just realised I've got the ps4 version & forgot all about it! :blush: (might try it on my PSTV) :)

no, i bought the Dedsec edition on PS4 when it came out..

no..im not getting Watchdogs for the Wii:blush:
    Forum Member
    Must've sunk in about 14-16 hours into this, still got loads to do. sidequests and stuff. But will be taking a backseat for GTA.