Would I Lie To You? (Series 8) - Fridays, 8:30pm, BBC1

JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
Forum Member
✭✭
New series starts tonight.
Rob Brydon returns to the host's chair for the eighth series of the comedy panel show where celebrity guests reveal amazing stories about themselves, some of which are true and some of which are not. The aim of the game is to fool the opposition into mistaking fact for fiction and fiction for fact.

Regular team captains Lee Mack and David Mitchell are joined by Fiona Bruce, Micky Flanagan, Steve Jones and Claudia Winkleman. {source}

Probably my favourite comedy panel show. Love the banter between the three regulars and think Lee Mack is one of the sharpest and funniest comedians around.

Comments

• mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New series starts tonight.

Probably my favourite comedy panel show. Love the banter between the three regulars and think Lee Mack is one of the sharpest and funniest comedians around.

My favourite too. Disappointed that it is on at 8.30. Not because I crave industrial language, I just think it was a bit edgier when it was post watershed.

Does anyone know if the beeb has commissioned a 'extra time' episode or is it still just 30 mins a week. Shame if it is.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Oh, assumed it was a repeat, nice to see it back, but old episodes are always worth watching again.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that Winkleman is there to ruin the first episode.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mustard99 wrote: »
    My favourite too. Disappointed that it is on at 8.30. Not because I crave industrial language, I just think it was a bit edgier when it was post watershed.

I agree. When these types of programmes are broadcast pre watershed, I often feel they are having to hold back from saying what they want.
    Does anyone know if the beeb has commissioned a 'extra time' episode or is it still just 30 mins a week. Shame if it is.

Can't remember this show ever having an extended version, like they do with 'Room 101: Extra Storage', but I may be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. When these types of programmes are broadcast pre watershed, I often feel they are having to hold back from saying what they want.

Can't remember this show ever having an extended version, like they do with 'Room 101: Extra Storage', but I may be wrong.

No there never has been and by tonight's sign off by the announcer it seems that continues. Glad it is back though.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It's a shame that Winkleman is there to ruin the first episode.
    Odd. I didn't notice her ruining it. What did she do that I missed?
    Forum Member
    She turned up
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't an extended version, but there is a compilation episode made up entirely of outtakes as usual.

Lee's bit with the keys at the end had me laughing harder than anything else on TV in a long time.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit of a latecomer to this but it soon became my favourite panel show

Several laugh out loud sections but Lee and his keys was brilliant......:p

also David and the 'party'.......there might have been crisps !
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    There isn't an extended version, but there is a compilation episode made up entirely of outtakes as usual.

Lee's bit with the keys at the end had me laughing harder than anything else on TV in a long time.
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I was a bit of a latecomer to this but it soon became my favourite panel show

Several laugh out loud sections but Lee and his keys was brilliant......:p

also David and the 'party'.......there might have been crisps !

Sometimes they give Lee Mack something so ridiculous to lie about, there's no way he could realistically pull it off, and that was the case this week with the bunch of keys.

I can't imagine any other comedian being so funny in attempting such a hopeless task. It was the biggest laugh I've had for some time, especially when he did the summary bit at the end.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite comedy programme on telly. It's also, unfortunately, the quickest half hour on telly too. Lee Mack and David Mitchell are superb!!
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent programme and one of my favourites. I'd prefer it to be after the watershed, but it's still the funniest programme around. The 3 regulars are superb every week.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent programme and one of my favourites. I'd prefer it to be after the watershed, but it's still the funniest programme around. The 3 regulars are superb every week.

I am not sure why it would be funnier after the watershed. Any comedian who needs to use bad language to be funny is a poor comedian.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am not sure why it would be funnier after the watershed. Any comedian who needs to use bad language to be funny is a poor comedian.
    Would a David Mitchell "rant" be funnier if it had the occasional swear word in it?

K
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant - I have only caught this once or twice before so I made a point of looking out for the new episodes. Lee Mack and David Mitchell are superb,especially Lee with the keys I haven't laughed so much for along time. David and his party -there were no invitations had me in stitches, even Rob Bryden made me laugh. A definite must for a Friday night.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched and gave me a well needed laugh. Good panellists and Lee's riff on 'his' keys was inspired. Very enjoyable and glad to see it back.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winkleman - her own film programme, her own radio show, her own newspaper column, as well as Strictly, and yet she still finds time to bring her hopelessly fake 'kooky' persona to this show. Cheap margarines are not spread so thinly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »

For me it's not so much about bad language, I just think that the contestants can be a bit edgier and freer post watershed as I said in a previous post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes they give Lee Mack something so ridiculous to lie about, there's no way he could realistically pull it off, and that was the case this week with the bunch of keys.

I can't imagine any other comedian being so funny in attempting such a hopeless task. It was the biggest laugh I've had for some time, especially when he did the summary bit at the end.

The summary was borderline genius - actually - skip the borderline bit, it was just genius. Lee Mack and David Mitchell are perfect foils for each other. So glad this is back.
    Forum Member
    Winkleman - her own film programme, her own radio show, her own newspaper column, as well as Strictly, and yet she still finds time to bring her hopelessly fake 'kooky' persona to this show. Cheap margarines are not spread so thinly.
    Fiona Bruce, who you would expect to be more straight laced, was a much better guest.
    Forum Member

I agree. It's a shame in one way that it takes you out of the game as it's an obvious lie but Mack makes up for it with what he comes up with.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she's quite funny and entertaining.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »

So do I, I find her hugely charming, as I've said before on here, she can giggle, gurn and peak under he fringe as much as she likes.
    As soon as I saw her in the line up, I remembered her appearance in and earlier series with the stuffed cat, which she made a good fist of IMO.

There really should be a weekly extended version, as there's a lot that ends up on the cutting room floor, cheap late night filler.
    They can still have the end of series out-takes episode too, should be enough material for both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do I, I find her hugely charming, as I've said before on here, she can giggle, gurn and peak under he fringe as much as she likes.
    As soon as I saw her in the line up, I remembered her appearance in and earlier series with the stuffed cat, which she made a good fist of IMO.

There really should be a weekly extended version, as there's a lot that ends up on the cutting room floor, cheap late night filler.
    They can still have the end of series out-takes episode too, should be enough material for both

Completely agree. Friends of mine have been lucky enough to go to a filming and say that it easily goes to two hours. Call me greedy but if Bake Off can have the dreadful Extra Slice then surely we can have extra WILTY during the week plus the outtakes.
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

I don't.