Options

Old stuff they used to have at school you remember?

Comments

• Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    BBC computers!

We used to beg and beg to be allowed to play this game, which came on floppy disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXixy3QIV0

It's so lame :D

I was hoping that would be Granny's Garden. We begged to play it at our school too! :D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    BBC computers!

We used to beg and beg to be allowed to play this game, which came on floppy disc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGXixy3QIV0

It's so lame :D

I cant remember our games, vaguely remember a hangman type game, mostly they were word or puzzle games i think.
    there was some sort of controller, dont think it was a mouse, but the teacher told us not to touch it as she didnt want it broken:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I was hoping that would be Granny's Garden. We begged to play it at our school too! :D
    I posted a thread about it a while back as I couldn't remember what it was called.

Departments got different tech in those days. The computer rooms had BBC Acorns or the successor whereas as the music dept got 'state of the art' (at the time) Atari STs
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Old stuff I remember from school? Definitely the dinner ladies!

I remember the dinner van turning up daily to deliver huge steel caskets of hot food for dinner time. Especially rememember the huge vats filled with custard.
    The smell approaching dinner time was truly wonderful .
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    my primary/junior school had no cooking facilities so we used to march to the next school for our school dinners.......all weathers, two foot of snow, balaclavas, little red knees.....:o

I bet the pupils of the other school weren't too fond of that arrangement, what with the kids being quite territorial... I'm envisaging frequent food fights?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC game I remember was of a creature called Pob and you'd type in what you wanted it to do and you could type 'Pob can boogie' and it'd dance on screen - hee hee :D im not sure if it was that 'game' or another but I remember another one that showed nursery rhymes and stories on screen, the one of frogs on a log (and if one more frog fell off the log, there'd be however many frogs left on the log), I remember that lol it was a very long time ago (in my perspective anyway).
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    I remember the dinner van turning up daily to deliver huge steel caskets of hot food for dinner time. Especially rememember the huge vats filled with custard.
    The smell approaching dinner time was truly wonderful .

We didn't have school dinner. But we got a mug of milk made from National Dried Baby Milk twice a day. It was utterly disgusting.,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The pizzas which were unique as i've never had anything like them before or since.

It was basically a stottie/bun with tomato puree on that and then cheddar cheese. Not sure how much further away from traditional pizza you can get :D but they tasted good at the time.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I cant remember our games, vaguely remember a hangman type game, mostly they were word or puzzle games i think.
    there was some sort of controller, dont think it was a mouse, but the teacher told us not to touch it as she didnt want it broken:D

A joystick? I hated joysticks, they were never properly configured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just remembered the head teachers office used to have two small round buttons outside her office that lit up when you could enter.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re: school dinners, the dinner ladies used to make these home made crisps, but the headmaster was really old fashioned and set in his ways and he insisted that we eat them using a knife and fork.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    We didn't have school dinner. But we got a mug of milk made from National Dried Baby Milk twice a day. It was utterly disgusting.,

We had a crate of mini bottles of gold top milk delivered daily. Always warm a d truly foul tasting.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In primary school, having a tiny bottle of milk in the mornings (it was always warm, bleurgh) and the first job each year was to make a 'milk mat' which was basically a piece of A4 card which you had to cover with crayon, which supposedly made it waterproof. :D

ETA - ^^^ that's the one, Toofast!
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    A joystick? I hated joysticks, they were never properly configured.

Oh, and those things that moved around that had pens in (turtles I think?) and you had to type commands in to make it draw a shape on a piece of paper on the floor!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    I bet the pupils of the other school weren't too fond of that arrangement, what with the kids being quite territorial... I'm envisaging frequent food fights?

not food fights but plenty of pushing and shoving in the playground....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone with primary school age kids know what kind of milk pupils get nowadays? Surely the times have changed and they get a yummy glass of COLD Cravendale?
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't get anything now, Vulpes. :(

Thatcher Thatcher the milk snatcher stopped it.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    We had a crate of mini bottles of gold top milk delivered daily. Always warm a d truly foul tasting.

I have a vague memory of getting orange juice instead of milk on some days......

Of course it was Maggie Thatcher who stopped free school milk when she was Education Secretary in the early 70s

Maggie Thatcher - Milk Snatcher !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a vague memory of getting orange juice instead of milk on some days......

Of course it was Maggie Thatcher who stopped free school milk when she was Education Secretary in the early 70s

Not that i liked Thatcher or anything, but the milk was only introduced to combat rickets, once people could afford milk (or milk was easily accessible) at home, there was no reason to keep giving it away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Some kind of primitive photocopier thing with a drum that you had to manually rotate for each copy. Always used purple ink which had that lovely solventy smell.
    Roneo Vickers stencil machine. We did the school magazine on one of those.
    inkwells on the desks
    We'd poke the bottoms out of the inkwells, then arrange all the books in the desk so they were angled and grooved around the inside of the desk and down towards the hole in the bottom right for sweeping out the inside of the desk. You dropped a marble in the inkwell, and it would travel round the grooves until it fell out the hole.
    You'd hear little rumbling noises all through the lesson. :D
    And then you had to demolish it when you took the books out for the next period

Deb Arkle wrote: »
    In primary school, having a tiny bottle of milk in the mornings (it was always warm, bleurgh)
    1/3 pints. And it was a toughness test to drink as many of the fetid warm ones as you could in a drink off in the afternoon after they'd been in the sun all day :o
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Some kind of primitive photocopier thing with a drum that you had to manually rotate for each copy. Always used purple ink which had that lovely solventy smell.

Know as 'Roneos' also used as a verb, 'I'm going to Roneo off a few copies'

Stank of ammonia.

Wiki knows them as Mimeographs

Hated the quarter pint free milk every day. Warm and half sour. Yuk. I used to gag.

One time, my Mum wanted to see the Headmaster because we were moving away.

They were in his office and she told him the details and he said he would miss us and her.
    Then he grabbed her and kissed her full on the lips.

He immediately apologised and no more was ever said.
    But it became a 'funny' story with us years later.

My Mum could have made a complaint I suppose, but she didn't want to end the man's career and it was over in 2 seconds.

She wasn't scarred by it and I am in no way suggesting others shouldn't have other worse experiences that they don't want to forget.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    They don't get anything now, Vulpes. :(

Thatcher Thatcher the milk snatcher stopped it.

Really? I was in primary school in 97 - 2003 so a fair while after Thatcher was in power and I'm sure the small carton of milk available at lunchtime was free for everyone? Surely to God my fellow friends weren't paying for that muck?!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Schools or councils must have had their own rules as my primary school had free milk well into the 80s.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Covering exercise books with wallpaper or wrapping paper to stop the edges of the books curling up
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School had Vending machine to I don't think they have these now with Chocolate in any more?