Options

How Do I Track Down An Old Friend?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
When I was at school, a new boy started in my class when I was about 14. We became friends instantly and were best friends for quite a while. I'm gay, and at the time I wasn't out at that young age. There was always something about him that made me think he might be too, and looking back now I always remember there was a moment one weekend when we were out somewhere talking that he may have been about to tell me something. As the years went on at school, we both ended up being put in different classes and although we remained friends, he got in with a bad crowd and started to get into quite a lot of trouble. Even through all of that, we still were friends and as he drifted off, it was as if he wanted to still be best friends with me but felt he was being pulled away by this other crowd. Anyway, as the years went on school obviously finished and we both went to different colleges and lost touch. I've tried to find him on social networks to get in touch with him. I can't find any trace of him on facebook, twitter or anything like that, and friends I went to school with that I've spoken to or messaged have said they haven't seen him since school or they lost touch with him.

Anyway, someone told me that they found an old school friend using the births, deaths and marriages website. Before I had only tried social networks, but I gave this site a try and ended up finding him on there. It's definitely him without a doubt, and he is alive (I was starting to think he might have passed away)!! I'm not really sure what to do next though. I know obviously it could be a case of the reason I haven't found him on social networks is because he doesn't want to be found...however if you search for me on facebook you can't find me and I'm not on twitter. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried to find old school friends etc and had any success? I've treid Friends Reunited by the way and no joy,

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Can you put an ad in the local paper? "Looking for an old friend, last heard of in this area" kind of thing?
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Have you tried your old school on Friends Reunited ?

Whether you should or not is another matter.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think putting an ad in the paper is a good idea too....make it pretty unique so it might go viral, thus further increasing your chances of him seeing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Have you tried your old school on Friends Reunited ?

Whether you should or not is another matter.

I've tried Friends Reunited but no joy. We went to school in London, but he was from Birmingham. When he started at the school he had moved from Birmingham. I haven't tried Linkedin before actually...might go and have a look on that.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can try this, it will give you all the people with his name, and the age bracket they fall in to. You can pay to get more information. http://www.192.com/people/?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=38846010364&OVKEY=192%20search&url_id=25647573&adpos=1t1&device=c&gclid=CPux-uaS18ECFWoJwwodwkEAog
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know where he used to live? Perhaps visiting the home could give you some clues? If he has any parents/family in the area then perhaps you could ask them for some contact details?
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    W

Anyway, someone told me that they found an old school friend using the births, deaths and marriages website. Before I had only tried social networks, but I gave this site a try and ended up finding him on there. It's definitely him without a doubt, and he is alive,

What did you find, birth record or marriage record? Neither will really help you find him.

Try linkedin. Did he ever mention what sort of job he wanted to do when he was older?

google search
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the births, deaths and marriages website I found his birth. No marriage or death. Tried Linkedin but no joy. I'm wondering what extra info you get on the births, deaths and marriages site if you pay.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tried the electoral register in your area? (you can view the full register in person at the council offices), but some people like to keep their life private and while they'd love to catch up and have a beer with you they don't want their life available from a simple google search

but if they got a job offer in paris theres not going to be any trail worth following
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I think putting an ad in the paper is a good idea too....make it pretty unique so it might go viral, thus further increasing your chances of him seeing it.

Do people actually read adverts in their local paper?

You can search directory enquiries at http://www.192.com/ for free but access to other soruces such as Electoral Roll and marriages costs money.