The amount our soaps are on

thawthaw Posts: 489
Forum Member
The top 3 are on this much a week:

Emmerdale = 132 mins a week
EastEnders = 109 mins a week
Corrie = 105 mins a week

At least this is 1h45 - absolutely extortionate. Something needs to be done and sharpish!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    If it bothers you that much, don't watch all the episodes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    thaw wrote:

Corrie = 105 mins a week

At least this is 1h45 - absolutely extortionate. Something needs to be done and sharpish!
    I love my soaps but i have to agree that there should be some cutbacks. It would make it exciting viewing if there was less episodes. :)
    Forum Member
    I don't think any TV show is going to cut back on episodes, they're all increasing. I mean look at EastEnders grown to 4 episodes, Corrie 5 episodes, Emmerdale 6 episodes, Hollyoaks is 5 episodes. Not to mention the drama series such as Holby City which grew from 9 episodes to 52 episodes a year. Popularity of these shows just forces more production.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Ethereal. wrote:
    I don't think any TV show is going to cut back on episodes, they're all increasing. I mean look at EastEnders grown to 4 episodes, Corrie 5 episodes, Emmerdale 6 episodes, Hollyoaks is 5 episodes. Not to mention the drama series such as Holby City which grew from 9 episodes to 52 episodes a year. Popularity of these shows just forces more production.
    How can it be popularity if ratings are falling due to the wider range of channels available to people?
  • thawthaw Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Back to 3 a week!!!1
    Forum Member
    Yvonne-K wrote:
    How can it be popularity if ratings are falling due to the wider range of channels available to people?

Well what else can it be?

In comparisson, if a product is selling well, they make more. If a product isn't selling well, they make less or stop making it. It's the same with TV.
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how are the ratings falling? Last time I checked all the main soaps were getting at least 10 million!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only soap I watch every episode of is Eastenders, I only watch Corrie if I'm bored, and Emmerdale I only watch out of desperation. I use to watch all of the above mentioned 3 years ago, I haven't wached Home & away or Neighbours for at least 8 years, any other soaps? I don't know them because I've never watched any others. If you think they are on too much don't watch, you decide what you watch not the makers of the soaps. An hour and 50 mins of Eastenders is enough for me.
  • shadrock1shadrock1 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, there is far too much soaps on screen!
    itv need to cut down on soaps.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thaw wrote:

Corrie = 105 mins a week

Corrie has more episodes a week than Eastenders so how could EE have more minutes?

Is it cos of the breaks?
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shadrock1 wrote:
    I agree, there is far too much soaps on screen!
    itv need to cut down on soaps.

It's a common misconception that ITV1 is full of soap. Actually, there are more hours of soap on BBC1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes BBc1 has 5 soaps while ITV has 3! :)
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes BBc1 has 5 soaps while ITV has 3! :)

...AND BBC1 shows some of them twice :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC would be more likely to reduce EastEnders by one episode. The ship of EastEnders was basically really thrown of course with the extra episode. However, I think they may be finally coping with it with all the new characters introduced successfully. ITV should axe Coronation Street on a Sunday and the second episode on Monday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV havent increased eps on any soaps for 3 years now, hopefully they have come to their senses. The soaps cant physically shoot any more anyway.

Emmerdale have 3, and sometimes 4!, crews all filming at once! It's bonkers! :)