Options

Katy Perry's new album - candy smell?

Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Could someone please help, well it's not really a problem, just something I'm a bit curious about.

I got Katy Perrys teenage dream album today - but I thought it was supposed to smell of candy when you open it.

I remember her on Paul O' Grady show, and Paul said something like 'woof the candy stench when I opened it, it was lovely'

but when I opened mine about an hour ago - there was no candy smell.

is it only limited edition candy stinking ones?

Comments

• Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Haven't heard of that before. Are you sure he wasn't joking lol?
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    My sister's copy has it.

You should ask for a refund!:D

''B-b-b-but she said it would smell like CANDY!''
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Is this for real? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Mine smells pretty strong of candy. It's beautiful!

I got mine from Tesco? It's just a regular edition.

HOWEVER I did get mine on the first week the album was released - maybe the CD was only scented on the first batch dispatched or something. Does your CD have the "candy scented" label on it? Mine did!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Apparently it's the book inside that is scented like candy.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I thought that too. Mine doesn't :(
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Mine does. It made me want to vom when I opened it haha.
  • Options
    molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it's only with the 2 disc version which is a digipack and I have it, it smells lovely...too lovely! cotton candy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah bloody hell, I just have the normal one, where you cannot smell diddly squatt :(
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    ^ My friend got the normal one too and the book in it smells.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    molybecks wrote: »
    Apparently it's only with the 2 disc version which is a digipack and I have it, it smells lovely...too lovely! cotton candy.

No, i've the got standard edition and mine is scented too. I really like it. :o

I believe it was only the first couple of pressings that got sprayed though. It's really strong. The case was in my car for a few weeks with another CD in and all these weeks later that CD still smells of it too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ My friend got the normal one too and the book in it smells.

I will check the book again, but I'm almost positive that mine sadly doesn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine doesn't smell of anything, sweets, candy floss, easter eggs nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Katy Perry. I think she is absolutely crap. However, this is an interesting idea. I love it when a CD is more than just a CD in a box.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna released an album that smelt once. Can anyone remember that?
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That one's not being made anymore, I think it was the initial batch. Any more deliveries of it we get at work don't smell, but the one's we had up until about November did.

It can't be that cheap to keep making specially scented ink for album booklets ha!
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both the CD and vinyl, and both smell awesome!
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Katy Perry. I think she is absolutely crap. However, this is an interesting idea. I love it when a CD is more than just a CD in a box.

I agree.:)

I much prefer getting the physical album rather than a download, as I get the full piece of art the act intended to release.
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    I got the vinyl version and the entire sleeve smells of candy as does the sleeves for both vinyls. The lyric sheet inside also smells of it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine still smells really strongly of candy, everytime I even touch the album the smell just seems to get everywhere!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I agree.:)

I much prefer getting the physical album rather than a download, as I get the full piece of art the act intended to release.

Yup.

I hate the fact that CDs are becoming less and less important :( I know albums still sell more on CD but people are turning away from albums altogether; singles often sell more these days ( :yawn: )

A few albums I have which have "surprises" with them:

- Bjork - Vespertine - The inlay which holds the CD is opaque (white) but if you take it off there's hidden artwork behind it.

- Bjork - Volta - The CD is held together with a sticker and the CD is inside a bunch of stacked together inlays, like this. Her singles were also released like this (they were packs, though, with LPs, CDs, DVDs and artwork)

Bjork generally has genius artwork and releases, though.

- M.I.A. - /\/\/\Y/\ - The CD is lenticular. A few CDs have been released like this, but it's nice to see the original artwork behind the "Youtube" bars when you twist the cover to another direction.

- Sigur Rós - Takk... - This CD was released in a case which is more like a book than a CD. It's annoying that it doesn't fit in every CD rack, though!

There's loads more... I generally appreciate good artwork, but wish more acts would add their lyrics to the booklets!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though the shops may no longer stock the candy scented editions - I would imagine ebay sellers would sell them.

I suppose you would just type in the ebay search engine 'teenage dream candy' or something like that.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    There's loads more... I generally appreciate good artwork, but wish more acts would add their lyrics to the booklets!

I'm so with you on that. I never understand why some artists seem intent of not putting lyrics in their booklets.

A 24+ page booklet with lyrics and nice pictures should be the minimum requirement of all albums :D

I've yet to download an album. Hopefully CD albums will be around for a long time yet.
  • Options
    sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Achtung wrote: »
    Madonna released an album that smelt once. Can anyone remember that?

It was Like A Prayer, but mine has lost the smell. If I remember it was a musky aroma.

Steven
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbeck201 wrote: »
    It was Like A Prayer, but mine has lost the smell. If I remember it was a musky aroma.

Steven

Now that is really special and unique, and I'm not being funny or sarcastic either.

a CD on it's own, just a CD was spectacular back in the 80's because they were new, and just taken over from records, but for a CD to have a limited edition smell to it, in the 80's, thats massive.