Options

Upgrade to 50mb without super hub?

HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
Forum Member
✭✭
Thinking about upgrading to 50mb as will only cost an extra fiver a month from my current 20mb.

I have a scientific atlanta epc2100 modem which im guessing would need to be upgraded so I can recieve the 50mb but im not really liking the idea of the super hub, id rather stick with a router of my choice.

Can it be used with a different router?

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, just turn the wireless radio off in the super hub.
    connect your router's wan port to one of the LAN ports on the super hub.
    It might affect port-forwarding etc but you can counter-act this by telling the super hub to put your own router in the DMZ.

I think someone mentioned the super hub will come with an ability to act "modem-only" in which case all the above is not necessary, but if that does not materialise then you can use the above to get what you want.
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I think existing customers can still request a modem instead, but not sure what happens when upgrading to 50mb.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The super hub is great, it's made by Netgear but hasn't caused me any issues at all.

Less wires, less mess, nicer looking piece of kit :)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AFAIK they are still offering modems & seperate router if you request one.

The all in one is OK, it has gb switch and wireless N. From what I understand the firmware is standard has most options that a majority of users need. But I can understand some users will want more functionality and want to use their own router.

my mate has the new superhub and from what he was telling me, you can't use it as modem only or router only unless they issue a firmware update in future.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

Is this just for 10Mb and 20Mb tiers or for 50/100 as well?
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Is this just for 10Mb and 20Mb tiers or for 50/100 as well?

Don't know about 10/20mb tiers. I guess it depends on what they have left in stock. I would not be surprised if they are trying to phase out the seperates. One less area of problem.
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    No they aren't

There is no way for an agent to specify the equipment supplied as part of the install.

All broadband installs for 20Mbit and above will come with the SuperHub
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    i want to save electric would virgin media give me a new hub so i can get rid of these 2 netgear modem and router ?
  • Options
    HANHAM97HANHAM97 Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    No they aren't

There is no way for an agent to specify the equipment supplied as part of the install.

Mine didn't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rob King wrote: »
    i want to save electric would virgin media give me a new hub so i can get rid of these 2 netgear modem and router ?
    They won't give you one, if you want one you can get one included if you upgrade or for £75 if you don't
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    No they aren't

Isn't there a firmware update coming to allow the hub to be turned off and just sit as a modem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quiet_news wrote: »
    Isn't there a firmware update coming to allow the hub to be turned off and just sit as a modem.
    Yes there is
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there is

Do you know when this upgraded firmware is being released?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not yet. As soon as it's known it'll be posted to the Community Forum. I'll also post it here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been reading around a bit and am not feeling comfortable about the superhub at all. I would much rather supply my own router. Are you totally sure that I cant get a seperate modem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hypnos wrote: »
    Are you totally sure that I cant get a seperate modem?
    Yes, totally sure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been reading around a bit and am not feeling comfortable about the superhub at all. I would much rather supply my own router. Are you totally sure that I cant get a seperate modem?

I got 50mb last month and they supplied a separate modem and wireless router.

I dont know if they changed now.

I'm in Scotland if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it's changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, totally sure

Thanks, is it 100% that a firmware is coming to allow it to be used just as a modem and is there a time frame for this?

Also how big is the hub is it any bigger than say my old Netgear WGR614 router?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, is it 100% that a firmware is coming to allow it to be used just as a modem and is there a time frame for this?
    I generally try and avoid saying things that aren't true ;)
    Also how big is the hub is it any bigger than say my old Netgear WGR614 router?
    It's a bit bigger yes - a bit bigger than the 50Mbit modem if you have seen one in person
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Compared to most home routers it's big ~ 20cm x 20cm x 5cm. That should mean it won't get overheating problems like some do.

The features are limited - it can handle most simple home user requirements but there are no bells and whistles and there is no telnet interface so nothing more advanced than the basic gui functions are available to more knowledgeable users. Apart from the need to turn off the firewall and flood detection I haven't come across any problems. It does tend to reboot itself for no obvious reason when making fairly minor changes to the settings rather than just restarting the appropriate internal process as more sophisticated kit would.

I see no reason to avoid an upgrade just because you get one rather than a modem. You can still use your own router with it without proper bridge mode being available by putting your own router in the dmz and setting the two to different subnets - there are more detailed instructions either in this board or the VM one but anybody insisting on using their own kit should be able to work it out for themselves anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I generally try and avoid saying things that aren't true ;)

haha, np :p
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Compared to most home routers it's big ~ 20cm x 20cm x 5cm. That should mean it won't get overheating problems like some do.

The features are limited - it can handle most simple home user requirements but there are no bells and whistles and there is no telnet interface so nothing more advanced than the basic gui functions are available to more knowledgeable users. Apart from the need to turn off the firewall and flood detection I haven't come across any problems. It does tend to reboot itself for no obvious reason when making fairly minor changes to the settings rather than just restarting the appropriate internal process as more sophisticated kit would.

This shouldnt be a problem as I set my WGR614 up around a year ago and have only changed them once when I added port forwarding settings for xbox live.
    I see no reason to avoid an upgrade just because you get one rather than a modem. You can still use your own router with it without proper bridge mode being available by putting your own router in the dmz and setting the two to different subnets - there are more detailed instructions either in this board or the VM one but anybody insisting on using their own kit should be able to work it out for themselves anyway.

I doubt i'll avoid the upgrade because of this, i've got it in my mind that come the 20th ill have 50mb so its pretty much done ;)

I had problems with an older virgin supplied WGR614 that wouldnt let me set an ip to a certain mac address which is why I bought my own. I have reason to be be worried about VM's firmware. Reading on the VM forums there seems to be a lot about dropping connections and crap wireless range so that is the thing that is most worrying me. Someone here was also talking of having problems connecting with thier HTC Desire, guess what phone I have.

I should be ok adding my own router to the DMZ but im not sure what you mean by setting them in different subnets?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can reserve an IP for a MAC.

I only use wireless for my phone and and an iPad and haven't had a problem connecting from anywhere in the house but when I looked using InSSIDer it did seem down in strength on my previous router. I've no idea if you'd get good speeds over long distances. There is no external antenna connector so you are stuck with whatever it has built in. You could always buy an extender if necessary.

It was probably my post about connecting with a Desire - that seems to have been a one-off issue and it is OK now.

The hub uses the 192.168.0.n range by default so plugging your router in means it will probably get 192.168.0.2 as its "external" IP. You probably want to ensure that your own router is using a different IP range (say 192.168.1.n) to avoid any chance of a clash of IPs. There is a setting on the hub to change its IP range but I haven't used that so can't confirm it works although I see no reason why it wouldn't.

My own needs are pretty simple and the hub can meet them (FTP and SSH servers are the only non-standard things I run apart from a VOIP ATA which requires nothing specific other than fixing the IP so you can bookmark it in a browser to access the gui). There is no inbuilt support for DynDNS etc. so you have to run a software client for that.

I also disabled UPnP on it as I have no need for it and have seen issues with other routers when turned on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just had another glitch with the wireless on the SuperHub.

Tried to reconnect an iPad - wouldn't have it no matter what. My Desire was still connecting OK. After resetting all the leases that wouldn't connect either. I forget what I did to get an error message rather than the bald "can't connect" but eventually I got a message to the effect that the password was wrong. No changes had been made so I just rebooted the hub and lo and behold both connected like good 'uns.

I've now disabled the hub wireless and have my old router (a Buffalo G54 with Tomato firmware) running as an AP. According to the Desire the signal strength is much higher too.

The SuperHub really is a POS and VM should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it without it being properly tested. It's only redeeming feature is the gigabit switch. To think I hung on before upgrading to 50 so I could get one :(
  • Options
    daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I've just had another glitch with the wireless on the SuperHub.

Tried to reconnect an iPad - wouldn't have it no matter what. My Desire was still connecting OK. After resetting all the leases that wouldn't connect either. I forget what I did to get an error message rather than the bald "can't connect" but eventually I got a message to the effect that the password was wrong. No changes had been made so I just rebooted the hub and lo and behold both connected like good 'uns.

I've now disabled the hub wireless and have my old router (a Buffalo G54 with Tomato firmware) running as an AP. According to the Desire the signal strength is much higher too.

The SuperHub really is a POS and VM should be ashamed of themselves for releasing it without it being properly tested. It's only redeeming feature is the gigabit switch. To think I hung on before upgrading to 50 so I could get one :(

same here mate wireless is a waste of space. my son plays online on ps3 in his bedroom and had no probs when was on 10mb with my own router.
    always get disconnected and the signal is all over the place.

am really thinking about dropping down to 20mb and back to a cable modem