Options

An analysis of Fergie Time

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to this article big teams generally get more time added on when they are losing than when they are winning but with Man U getting an extra 79 seconds when they are down! Liverpool and Man City also seem to benefit.

'Former Premier League referee Graham Poll says that when you're refereeing, you don't believe in Fergie time.

"You dispel it as popular myth of teams that are jealous of Manchester United's success."

But when you take a step back, he says, you realise there could be something in it.

"I think it would be too easy to just say it's rubbish. When you analyse and think psychologically what happens, the pressure that's on you at Old Trafford or the Emirates or Stamford Bridge, the pressure that is implied upon you must have an effect, even if subconsciously."'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20464371

Comments

• Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Graham f*cking Rent a Quote Poll.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Graham f*cking Rent a Quote Poll.

True, but the analysis does show that there is possibly something in the concept - even Poll has to get something right sooner or later
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be as simple as away teams waste more time when winning at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    the fact that liverpool are second in that list with only 23seconds less playing time when winning would seem to end all the "united have the fa in their pockets" rubbish once and for all
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be as simple as away teams waste more time when winning at Old Trafford.

Wouldnt smaller teams waste just as much time winning against Chelsea?
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yea but Chelsea never have a manager in long enough for a phrase to be coined :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Yea but Chelsea never have a manager in long enough for a phrase to be coined :)

Love it! Lol :D
  • Options
    shubstarshubstar Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Doesn't added time apply to both teams?
    I understand that usually the team losing is the one pressing for a goal but the winning team can just as easily score to secure the tie... so why do people act as if it only benefits one team?

As an example, Chelsea vs Barcelona semi-final last year... Score was 2-2 with Barca going out on away goals and so they were pressing for another goal. Yet, it was Torres who scored in injury time to seal the match. So who benefited from the injury time?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shubstar wrote: »
    I understand that usually the team losing is the one pressing for a goal but the winning team can just as easily score to secure the tie... so why do people act as if it only benefits one team?

Exactly. People act as if it's only United who are allowed to score.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As an example, Chelsea vs Barcelona semi-final last year... Score was 2-2 with Barca going out on away goals and so they were pressing for another goal. Yet, it was Torres who scored in injury time to seal the match. So who benefited from the injury time?

Because it does? Football is a 1 v 1 sport, if something benefits one team then it hinders the other.

Certainly not Chelsea, they were going through already...
  • Options
    shubstarshubstar Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    fab cesc wrote: »
    Because it does? Football is a 1 v 1 sport, if something benefits one team then it hinders the other.

Certainly not Chelsea, they were going through already...

That is just stupid.... What if it was a normal premier league game which was 1-1... Are you still going to tell me injury time will only benefit one team? Nonsense. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most of the time in the Premier League, there's only one team likely to score at Old Trafford in the last minute and that's Man United.

In the Barcelona v Chelsea match, in the later stages although Barcelona had most of the possession (as they always do) they didn't really create that many clear cut chances and Chelsea were defending very well and had good tactics, so Torres scoring on the break wasn't as huge a shock as it was made out to be.

Man United aren't playing opponents with the defensive quality of that Chelsea team very often in the Premier League, so often when they need a goal it's wave after wave of attack with the opposition defenders just trying to get the ball away from danger and praying for the whistle.

I can't recall many examples, if any, in a PL match where Man United have been 1-0 down at Old Trafford, got a hefty chunk of stoppage time, and the opposition have went and nicked one on the break and sealed the game by making it 2-0.

So, it benefits Man United way more than the opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    Most of the time in the Premier League, there's only one team likely to score at Old Trafford in the last minute and that's Man United.

now some would say thats because the team has a winning mentality and refuses to give up.......no, wait, sorry its because the club pays all the refs, silly me
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now some would say thats because the team has a winning mentality and refuses to give up.......no, wait, sorry its because the club pays all the refs, silly me

I agree with you, it's because they're winners. They're the ultimate team for fighting until the death (Barcelona '99 and all that). I'm just arguing against the notion that adding time on at Old Trafford benefits both teams equally, which it quite clearly doesn't, because Man United are by far the most likely to score in stoppage time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    I agree with you, it's because they're winners. They're the ultimate team for fighting until the death (Barcelona '99 and all that). I'm just arguing against the notion that adding time on at Old Trafford benefits both teams equally, which it quite clearly doesn't, because Man United are by far the most likely to score in stoppage time.

most likely due to the way they dont give up but each team has the exact same 50-50 chance of scoring, just that united do it more due to attacking more.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's down to the fear of the Fergie hairdryer on full throttle after they've left the pitch.

Win v the hairdyer?

A no brainer really!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of the top teams when drawing/ losing by a goal will be on the attack in the final moments. If you have more time you have an advantage.
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    As many posters have said, Fergie Time works both ways.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    According to this article big teams generally get more time added on when they are losing than when they are winning but with Man U getting an extra 79 seconds when they are down! Liverpool and Man City also seem to benefit.

'Former Premier League referee Graham Poll says that when you're refereeing, you don't believe in Fergie time.

"You dispel it as popular myth of teams that are jealous of Manchester United's success."

But when you take a step back, he says, you realise there could be something in it.

"I think it would be too easy to just say it's rubbish. When you analyse and think psychologically what happens, the pressure that's on you at Old Trafford or the Emirates or Stamford Bridge, the pressure that is implied upon you must have an effect, even if subconsciously."'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20464371

cant say i am surprised. anyone who watches football could have predicted that one.