Options

26" tellys been done away with ?

drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Are 26" tellys being done away with ?

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung don't seem to be manufacturing them anymore??

However i do notice 28" are being introduced to the latest Samsung range, will this be the new trend? to go from 24" to 28" to 32" and so on??

Comments

• Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looking on the Sony web site I found-

KDL-26EX553 (26in/66cm)
    KDL-22EX553 (22in/55cm)
    KDL-22EX310 (22in/55cm)
    KDL-24W605A (24in)
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

A 26" TV used to be thought of as a main TV, but nowadays most people would think they are too small for their Living Room, so 26"ers are just in with all the other small TVs for bedroom, kitchen etc.
  • Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they're not discontinued as my boys have a 26" for their xbox that fits nicely in the unit it's in. It would be a pain to go up in size and a pity to go down if/when the current one dies.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    26's are effectively portable TV's these days, 32's are the real 'starting' point.

But as far as I know 26's are still available, but there have always been FAR less 26 inch models available than 32's, and they often cost more.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what i found annoying was that there was nothing in between 26 and 32

but now at last some manufactures are filling that gap
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Small screens have never been profitable for the likes of Sony or Panasonic so they usually only make a few small models just to keep their presence in that market.

I don't know how the likes of Vestel make much money on small screens considering the big Japanese companies have made huge losses for the last 20 years. Government subsidy springs to mind with Vestel.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    Small screens have never been profitable for the likes of Sony or Panasonic so they usually only make a few small models just to keep their presence in that market.

They don't make money on most of the big sets either :D

I don't know how the likes of Vestel make much money on small screens considering the big Japanese companies have made huge losses for the last 20 years. Government subsidy springs to mind with Vestel.

Turkey receives massive EU subsidies, part of preparing them to join the EU.

But if you're making low quality sets, using low quality components, and offer nothing in the way of service - then you can make money.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't make money on most of the big sets either :D

Turkey receives massive EU subsidies, part of preparing them to join the EU.

But if you're making low quality sets, using low quality components, and offer nothing in the way of service - then you can make money.
    If only we could receive subsidies in this country for making TV manufacturing viable! :(
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    If only we could receive subsidies in this country for making TV manufacturing viable! :(

Or make people pay more for goods in the first place! :D
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Or make people pay more for goods in the first place! :D
    Too many people have a huge appetite for dirt cheap goods, though! :mad:
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Too many people have a huge appetite for dirt cheap goods, though! :mad:

True enough but amazingly many people from all walks of life are willing to pay high prices for smartphones, high end tablets and other similar top end goods.... which is a bit odd really.