Readers of VIZ !

Comments

• Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    I got into Viz when I was about 8 thanks to my uncle and I still buy it every month (although I do get tired of shopkeepers asking if I'm buying it for my boyfriend...). I love the artist that does the Scum Mothers and We Buy Gold strips. They're so depressing :D Long time favourites have to be Spoilt Bastard, Modern Parents and Biffa Bacon. I got a. calendar of adverts last month which I love, especially the Tit Full Of Beer :D

'We blight Xmas' might be the most depressing yet.....:D
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is your favourite regular character / strip ?
    I love Tinribs.
    The level of violence meted out to poor Mr Snodworthy is just horrific. but very funny !
    "Hi. I'm Barbie. I love you very much" :D

My favourite too :) so much so that in the early days of tinternet my username on a lot of forums was tinribs :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the top tips were classic. I still remember this one from the early 90s and still manages to make me smile

Save time when crossing a one-way street by only looking in the direction of oncoming traffic. – D. Rogers, Hemel Hempstead

When crossing a one-way street always look in BOTH directions in case a large blue furniture removal lorry is reversing the wrong way up the road. – D. Rogers, Hemel Hempstead General Infirmary

There's a twitter account which posts similar sort of tips. I think something along the lines of @twoptips .worth following :)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't read Viz as often as I used to, but I still love having a quick look every so often.

Was a big fan of Roger Mellie, Biffa Bacon, Billy the Fish, Modern Parents, Mr Logic and The Critics.

My favourite one off strips though were probably "Lottie Learns How To Be In The Fall" and "Metal Mickey". I swear I know the lad the latter was based on. The similarities are uncanny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Raffles but some months I only end up reading letterbocks and the articles and I skip the strips.
  • KeninblackKeninblack Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    The guy who does the Enid Blyton style cartoons once did one about a police inspector who had two giant mechanical crabs which sang hymns.

I don't suppose anyone's got a scan?

Found it at last. Here you go

28u7c41.jpg
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,591
    Forum Member
    'little Ted west' was one of my favourites......

Mine too!

I found it here

'Little Ted West stands a murderous 8" high'

Genius!
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the staff of viz must sit in their offices giggling all day about the childish content of their magazine.
    I would love a job there
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen it for years but I had a soft spot for Mrs.Brady old lady
  • Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    I'm a lifelong Viz reader , and just got The Camel's Toe for Christmas

I do have a soft spot for Meddlesome Ratbag and Major Misunderstanding :D

Big Vern is still number one though ;)

My fave is Roger Mellie, the Man on the Telly.

"Hello, good evening and bollocks!"
  • Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I haven't bought this months yet.
    I normally buy it on the day it comes out in case it gets banned and withdrawn for some reason ! :D
    I still find it funny and I'm fifty years old. I've been buying it since the 80's !

Me too! I'm 53 and I've been subscribing to it for at least 10 years! It's still just as funny and near-the-knuckle as ever. :p
  • WishesWishes Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I loved it in the 80's when they used to refer to the third member of the pop group Bros as Ken.
  • WishesWishes Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Mrs Brady little.old.lady. Millie Rant.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I'm a lifelong Viz reader , and just got The Camel's Toe for Christmas

I do have a soft spot for Meddlesome Ratbag and Major Misunderstanding :D

Big Vern is still number one though ;)

"GET DAHN, ERNIE ! IT'S THE FILTH !! BLAM !!
    :D
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been reading it since the early 90's. These days I tend to scan through it but occasionally a moment of vintage Viz appears. Mrs Brady ticks all the boxes for me - consistently laugh out loud funny. The story of the Mantle Clock was a classic.

I'd recommend Chris Donald's Inside Story of Viz Rude Kids - a good read.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wishes wrote: »
    Millie Tant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wishes wrote: »

Mrs Brady, old lady.
    Millie Tant and her radical feminist conscience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just found out a few days ago viz have a twitter account and they post a couple of bits and bobs from the comic every day :) brilliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    I just found out a few days ago viz have a twitter account and they post a couple of bits and bobs from the comic every day :) brilliant

They also have a Facebook page :)
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debb1e wrote: »
    My fave is Roger Mellie, the Man on the Telly.

"Hello, good evening and bollocks!"

Every "idea" of his ends up with him shagging some birds and Tom in trouble somehow. Love it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite is tinribs. Always ends up with mr snodworthy getting some violent ending.

Not far behind is the enid blyton rip off jack black and his dog silver?? I preferred the early versions of this though and i think they ahould let this one rest if they havent already.

Roger Mellie i could never get into. Same for Biffa and Fat Slags.

I can never get tired of johnny fartpants
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We haven't seen Buster Gonad (and his unfeasibly large testicles) for a while now.
    My all-time favourite strip has to be The Pathetic Sharks.
    All they want to do is play with beach balls on the sand and eat ice-cream, but they always end up killing loads of people in the final frames !
    I've never really got into The Drunken Bakers.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't seen Buster Gonad (and his unfeasibly large testicles) for a while now.
    My all-time favourite strip has to be The Pathetic Sharks.
    All they want to do is play with beach balls on the sand and eat ice-cream, but they always end up killing loads of people in the final frames !
    I've never really got into The Drunken Bakers.

I was never a fan of the drunken bakers until a few months back. The two bakers were drinking and a homeless woman offered to *coughs* fellate them for a nip of gin. In the end she fell in a canal and drowned. It was so horrendously bleak i found it hilarious and ive been a fan ever since. There was a similar strip last month about a guy not wearing a shirt at a christening
  • Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good to see Postman Plod return.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was never a fan of the drunken bakers until a few months back. The two bakers were drinking and a homeless woman offered to *coughs* fellate them for a nip of gin. In the end she fell in a canal and drowned. It was so horrendously bleak i found it hilarious and ive been a fan ever since. There was a similar strip last month about a guy not wearing a shirt at a christening

Scum Mothers, Who'd 'Ave 'Em?

Along with Drunken Bakers and George Bestial, Farmer and Healy have an incredible knack of getting huge belly laughs out of some of the grimmest situations imaginable.

Hen Cabin is positively jolly by comparison.