Channel One has been scrapped, ChallengeTV to launch

chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
Forum Member
Despite going through a new change, Channel One has been scrapped by Sky.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/bravo-and-channel-one-scrapped-by-sky/5018290.article

Be interesting to see now what happens on Freeview

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those that cannot access the Broadcast link, more info is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/15/bravo-channel-one-bdkyb
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Challenge will launch on Freeview to replace Channel One.

Channel One's programmes will be absorbed by Sky 3.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BSkyB intends to "redeploy" the channels' programming, with pay-TV shows moving to other Sky channels and free-to-air fare mostly moving to Sky3.

Challenge will move free-to-air in Channel One's slot, which will effectively double its audience reach, as BSkyB looks to grow its presence in quizzes and gameshows. There are longer-term possibilities of tie-ups with Sky Bet.

• chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Challenge will be a nice addition me thinks, at the moment it is a good channel - especially for family viewing.

But obviously, I expect sky to change this channel if going FTA/FTV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Good news for Freeview, Channel One programming moving to Sky3, and we get another new channel!
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris2k2 wrote: »
    Challenge will be a nice addition me thinks, at the moment it is a good channel - especially for family viewing.

Incidentally, Challenge started life in the early 90s as "The Family Channel". Gameshows gradually took over the schedule, leading to Challenge TV.. http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/otherchannels/challengetv.html
    Forum Member
    Remember that from the old Ana system.
    I guess at xmas time then, family together and we can all have a go at Family Fortunes instead of the usual crap thats on these days:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, this is just the thin end of the wedge of Sky decimating Freeview.

I don't care as long as we have BBC (& interactive), ITV, Ch4 & Ch5 (for now) stable of channels and maybe a HD offering from each. The rest is just Sky window-dressing and shopping/chat/gaming/adult rubbish.

Heck even most of Ch5's output is rubbish! :p
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    How is sky decimating freeview? they are moving the content of channel one to sky 3 and replacing it with challenge tv if anything freeview is being improved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Guys, where does it say all Channel One shows are moving to Sky 3? My worse fear is that Chuck moves to Pay TV :(
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will there be any point in me starting the new series of Criminal Minds, or Leverage on C1?
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why people can complain.

Sky3 has been very thin on programming for ages. Moving all these shows will save another wasted EPG slot.

Challenge is a nice addition. It's a bit poor these days but lots of decent quiz shows. All the Millionaire classics were on V1 anyway.

If you ask me it's a very generous decision by Sky. 1x pay channel and merging two crap Freeview channels that have battled ruthless since what 2007?

Now was it such a bad idea to add Sky3+1? It's just like having Virgin1+1 back!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably be asked anyway so I'll ask it first:

Who would have preferred Bravo than Challenge on Freeview?

Bravo could have took over Channel One and Bravo 2 on Sky3+1?
    Forum Member
    I would say Challenge to your question. It caters for more people than perhaps Bravo would. Sometimes there is nothing on to watch (even with Sky+) you get days like this, and a quiz show on challenge is entertaining.

Who knows though, perhaps they can have other quiz shows in the back log.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    chrisdafur wrote: »

l've had a read of that article now and thanks for posting the link, chrisdafur.

As for Challenge, that looks to be a load of cheap old tat gameshows :eek:. There is no other way to describe this move as dumbing down though there will be those who will appreciate wall-to-wall gameshows.

l can see why Sky would want to consolidate the Channel One and Sky 3 programming given that they're aimed at similar audiences. That Guardian article stated that Sky will "redeploy" the Channel One programmes with some of that programming moving to Sky 3. That can only improve Sky 3 which has deteriorated these past couple of years.

On the downside though, Sky might cream off the best of Channel One's programming and put in on Sky1 behind a paywall. That, together with the arrival of Challenge, would weaken Freeview's offerings and enhance Sky's pay products though that is a cynical interpretation.

The only thing l am suprised about is the axing of Bravo. That would certainly have made a better addition to Freeview than Challenge.

This move came just after the Office of Fair Trading formally allowed Sky's purchase of the Virgin Media TV channel suite and there's more here: http://www.cable.co.uk/news/sky-purchase-of-the-living-tv-group-approved-800065267/.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW I cant believe sky is actually improving Freeview, well done sky :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    It will probably be asked anyway so I'll ask it first:

Who would have preferred Bravo than Challenge on Freeview?

Bravo could have took over Channel One and Bravo 2 on Sky3+1?

i would rather have bravo theres nothing on challenge i like
    Forum Member
    Television user, you can't please everyone.
    My suspicions are that maybe Sky will make Challenge less-appealing, so it fails.

Hopefully, they will keep it the same.

Think I will ask the mods, to rename the title to reflect Challenge launch?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Guardian article stated that Sky will "redeploy" the Channel One programmes with some of that programming moving to Sky 3. That can only improve Sky 3 which has deteriorated these past couple of years.

On the downside though, Sky might cream off the best of Channel One's programming and put in on Sky1 behind a paywall.
    I think there is some confusion here, the guardian article says that Channel One i.e. FTA content will move onto Sky3, what is on Barvo will move to Sky & 2.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i would rather have bravo theres nothing on challenge i like

Bravo is closing too, so couldn't ever happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    l've had a read of that article now and thanks for posting the link, chrisdafur.

As for Challenge, that looks to be a load of cheap old tat gameshows :eek:. There is no other way to describe this move as dumbing down though there will be those who will appreciate wall-to-wall gameshows.

l can see why Sky would want to consolidate the Channel One and Sky 3 programming given that they're aimed at similar audiences. That Guardian article stated that Sky will "redeploy" the Channel One programmes with some of that programming moving to Sky 3. That can only improve Sky 3 which has deteriorated these past couple of years.

On the downside though, Sky might cream off the best of Channel One's programming and put in on Sky1 behind a paywall. That, together with the arrival of Challenge, would weaken Freeview's offerings and enhance Sky's pay products though that is a cynical interpretation.

The only thing l am suprised about is the axing of Bravo. That would certainly have made a better addition to Freeview than Challenge.

This move came just after the Office of Fair Trading formally allowed Sky's purchase of the Virgin Media TV channel suite and there's more here: http://www.cable.co.uk/news/sky-purchase-of-the-living-tv-group-approved-800065267/.

How well did Men & Motors do on Freeview? It will be a massive hit.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy re-scanning my Freeview box once per week.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    I don't know how anybody could see this as anything other than a positive move. What is basically happening is Virgin1 and Sky3 are merging (i.e. two generally weak channels) to make a stronger channel, and we are gaining Challenge. It's not going to be a groundbreaking addition to the platform but what Challenge will do is provide something a bit different and will be handy for those times when "there's nothing else on", a bit like Dave in that sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I don't know how anybody could see this as anything other than a positive move. What is basically happening is Virgin1 and Sky3 are merging (i.e. two generally weak channels) to make a stronger channel, and we are gaining Challenge. It's not going to be a groundbreaking addition to the platform but what Challenge will do is provide something a bit different and will be handy for those times when "there's nothing else on", a bit like Dave in that sense.

Fully agree.

SSN is long gone but they are atleast giving back another pay channel in it's place. :D