Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi There sorry for the website mix up our website is www.thedukeofcornwall.net the other website is an old one we cannot get rid of (any ideas are welcome :) ) and Anthea was a previous lanlady and i will cover my tats in future :/ but there worth a read lol also we do have 2 businesses foliage and pub :)

Hi Karen, welcome.

On your website, could I mention I found the small red writing (eg. for bar and grill menu and b&b prices) very difficult to read.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi There sorry for the website mix up our website is www.thedukeofcornwall.net the other website is an old one we cannot get rid of (any ideas are welcome :) ) and Anthea was a previous lanlady and i will cover my tats in future :/ but there worth a read lol also we do have 2 businesses foliage and pub :)

Hi Karen, welcome to the thread :)

I too cannot view any of the photos on your website, but I'm not techy enough to know why :confused::o

I also found it hard to see the link for the B&B

I missed last night's show so need to catch up today before tonight's show...
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    I don't get the fried egg business. Her scrambled and poached eggs looked perfect and frying an egg is easiest of all.

As the week has gone by I started to dislike Lorraine and hubby more and more. She's as mean as the towels she supplies.

Good one. Indeed she is and her voice - soooo sickly sweeet as she puts the boot in.
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    [/B]
    That's why I'm not keen on these so called activities. I really would like to get a glimpse of the location some of the B&Bs are and the surrounding area. It will only be a tiny glimpse on a 30 min show, but better than a seance. For me visiting a location comes first, then I find somewhere to stay.
    Taking the room apart has become a bit panto now, wouldn't your normal guest only notice something by accident, not because they are hunting for it? I know there are some professional complainers out there and I don't mean them.
    If a place is really dirty, you won't have to remove the mattress and pull the furniture away from the wall to find it.

I think that's how the prog makers see it - that the contestants are the manipulated 'stars'. they don't seem to care if the B&B gets slated royally. You make a very good point that we mostly choose a place to stay with the area in mind. (Obviously sometimes work dictates an area.)

I have often been looking forward to FIAB to see the area and basically, we don't, or we see it from the car on a foggy day. Through a glass darkly! We went to Bournemouth which is a fantastic area by anybody's standards, didn't see it but had it dissed as not being Cornwall by guess who the couple from Cornwall. :rolleyes: No, it's Bournemouth, which is lovely in its own right, as is St. Ives. Love both.

Eileen/Cat Lady's place is in an area of outstanding beauty it appears and she has a lovely large garden. That would be in its favour. Instead we concentrate on cat hairs. Duh. :rolleyes: She does say it's for cat lovers so it's not as if you wouldn't be aware and her house is actually lovely.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Hello Karen and welcome :)

Despite what some people think we don't fawn over the owners who join this thread but strangely they're usually the ones we've liked and the others never find us.

Edit. And that weasel Lorraine called your place 'The Duke of Cornwell' and today's 'Appalleckian'. She's so up her own arse.

Everyone on the prog this week is up their own arse.

We have had super critics, hotel experts and arsey/aggressive-style defense this week. That's not to say they're not nice people away from the prog. Personally, I couldn't see why everyone put 'NO' to staying at the girls' place. I couldn't see anything terribly wrong with it. Perhaps Karen can enlighten us or we will find out later on the 'payments day prog'.

I also think that Lorraine was right. Toni's place isn't luxurious in the way we expect B&BS/hotels to be. However, it was cosy, comfy and very homely. There's nothing wrong with that and the Morris dancing was the best activity this week. It was much better than a seance! Tha's one of the worst activites I've seen and on a par with a trip to the paint factory! :eek:.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamtamara wrote: »
    What makes you say that Millenary? Have you been on or worked on a similar programme?

I don't think you need to have direct experiance of 'reality' tv to have an idea of how it works, just watch it for a few years;)

Charlie Brooker did a good 'behind the scenes' look at how the producers can make a scenario work for or against a participent in his Screenwipe show - have a look on youtube for "screenwipe reality tv editing".
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Everyone on the prog this week is up their own arse.

We have had super critics, hotel experts and arsey/aggressive-style defense this week. That's not to say they're not nice people away from the prog. Personally, I couldn't see why everyone put 'NO' to staying at the girls' place. I couldn't see anything terribly wrong with it. Perhaps Karen can enlighten us or we will find out later on the 'payments day prog'.

I also think that Lorraine was right. Toni's place isn't luxurious in the way we expect B&BS/hotels to be. However, it was cosy, comfy and very homely. There's nothing wrong with that and the Morris dancing was the best activity this week. It was much better than a seance! Tha's one of the worst activites I've seen and on a par with a trip to the paint factory! :eek:.

I have to agree with all of this! All of the contestants this week are annoying, but especially Louis and to a slightly lesser extent, Gino, but they all at least displayed a pride in their establishments, which made for very interesting viewing. I personally can't wait for this evening's payments day programme!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good one. Indeed she is and her voice - soooo sickly sweeet as she puts the boot in.

I think that's how the prog makers see it - that the contestants are the manipulated 'stars'. they don't seem to care if the B&B gets slated royally. You make a very good point that we mostly choose a place to stay with the area in mind. (Obviously sometimes work dictates an area.)

I have often been looking forward to FIAB to see the area and basically, we don't, or we see it from the car on a foggy day. Through a glass darkly! We went to Bournemouth which is a fantastic area by anybody's standards, didn't see it but had it dissed as not being Cornwall by guess who the couple from Cornwall. :rolleyes: No, it's Bournemouth, which is lovely in its own right, as is St. Ives. Love both.

Eileen/Cat Lady's place is in an area of outstanding beauty it appears and she has a lovely large garden. That would be in its favour. Instead we concentrate on cat hairs. Duh. :rolleyes: She does say it's for cat lovers so it's not as if you wouldn't be aware and her house is actually lovely.[/QUOTE]

I really liked Eileen, her face stayed deadpan when Jessica was talking and she lives in the area of Britain that I have found the most stunning, Nortumberland.
    She was on May The Best House Win, she was much the same. Her house is gorgeous and her garden was her pride and joy. I would definitely stay at Eileen's B&B, but then I do like cats.

If I look at a website for a B&B, I always click on local area and maps, some of the activities are a wasted opportunity to advertise your local area, which is one of the reasons I originally watched T/FIAB.
    This is why I stopped watching CDWM, it was about hosting a dinner party, not performing to the standard of either Cirque Du Soleil, or a slot on Britain's Got talent.It seemed to be about activities as much as the meal the last time I watched, which is a while now. The activities, with the B&B owners going along could be rethought now, for me anyway.Afterall, if they are supposed to be objective, they would have to find their own way around the local area and attractions without the B&B owners taking charge, if they were a paying guest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    If you are ever going up West Yorks way, I know a beautiful B&B in an old Victorian house , gorgeous beds, on suite, fantastic breakfast and doggie goes too.They love 'em.

Do let me know, Liza J.
    Sometimes go to York races with the dogs in May and always nice to know of one to stay at on the way up. :)
  • jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I don't think you need to have direct experiance of 'reality' tv to have an idea of how it works, just watch it for a few years;)

Charlie Brooker did a good 'behind the scenes' look at how the producers can make a scenario work for or against a participent in his Screenwipe show - have a look on youtube for "screenwipe reality tv editing".

Hi Karen :)

Do you agree or do you perhaps take a vow of silence on the making of the programme? :D

I personally think the same but I think (just a couple) of people have questioned it and said it's always the fault of the contestants. :D
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    I have often been looking forward to FIAB to see the area and basically, we don't, or we see it from the car on a foggy day. Through a glass darkly!
    If I look at a website for a B&B, I always click on local area and maps, some of the activities are a wasted opportunity to advertise your local area, which is one of the reasons I originally watched T/FIAB.
    This is why I stopped watching CDWM, it was about hosting a dinner party, not performing to the standard of either Cirque Du Soleil, or a slot on Britain's Got talent.It seemed to be about activities as much as the meal the last time I watched, which is a while now. The activities, with the B&B owners going along could be rethought now, for me anyway.Afterall, if they are supposed to be objective, they would have to find their own way around the local area and attractions without the B&B owners taking charge, if they were a paying guest.

Agree with all of this
    Hi There sorry for the website mix up our website is www.thedukeofcornwall.net the other website is an old one we cannot get rid of (any ideas are welcome :) ) and Anthea was a previous lanlady...

Hi and Welcome Karen

Thanks for clearing up the Anthea mystery.
    I didn't really think you'd changed your name.
    The only Anthea I know of is Anthea Turner and somehow I doubt she'd be a role model for you :D

Very misleading that the .com and co.uk old website comes up in the first two pages of Google and not your current website.
    Hopefully Normandie has helped with an answer to that.
    The domain is still active though, could you not arrange to take it over?

As feedback, like others have said, none of the photos are working on your .net website, it says image not found, and I too find it difficult to view and read. The loading is very slow as well.

Re the activities, if you can answer, who chose the seance idea? I'd have thought something to feature your smokehouse would have been a much better thing to showcase if you'd been allowed.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]
    That's why I'm not keen on these so called activities. I really would like to get a glimpse of the location some of the B&Bs are and the surrounding area. It will only be a tiny glimpse on a 30 min show, but better than a seance. For me visiting a location comes first, then I find somewhere to stay................

I totally agree, especially when they're at places like Portmadog, with Snowdon on their doorstep.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a visit to a slate mine, but it can't compare to driving the roads either side of Snowdon.

To me, this is how Coach Trip started going downhill, when they dropped showing us the scenery, and replaced it with "this is what we told you five minutes ago..." followed by an interminable vote.
  • Janet_AgarJanet_Agar Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Hello new here-FIAB is not so good this week -loved last weeks places.
    Why when the visiting people find a "problem" like a few weeks ago there were broken slats under mattress don't they get the owner to see it there and then-would save all the "no they were not" "yes they were " at the end of the week.
    Louis is just such arrogant man --its always -I-me -mine -noticed his wife (forget name) that did the cooking -he just ignores her -and her efforts .ugh
    Forum Member
    Janet_Agar wrote: »
    Hello new here-FIAB is not so good this week -loved last weeks places.

Hello Janet, FIAB for your very first post on DS :) Welcome.

You've highlighted two of the things that irk me most - not allowing an owner the opportunity to rectify a fault and anyone, man or woman, who's in a business or romantic partnership and yet constantly refers to my and mine, not us and our :rolleyes:
    That goes for everyday life btw as well as the programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally caught up with last night's show.

Thought Toni's place was nice enough. Perhaps not my taste in decor, but it looked comfortable and clean and was good value.

Not bothered about ordering breakfast the night before....I would just order a Full English as I always have that when I'm away.

Thought Gino and Louis were both rather condascending towards Toni and as for Lorraine's whiney voice...arghghghghghg (LOL at Appalakian!)

I'm glad Karen and Debbie defended Toni.....the others were being unnecessarily picky.

Some very low scores for Toni - some of them rather harsh I think

e2a: Welcome to the thread Janet!
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thought Toni's place was nice enough. Perhaps not my taste in decor, but it looked comfortable and clean and was good value.

Not bothered about ordering breakfast the night before....I would just order a Full English as I always have that when I'm away.

Thought Gino and Louis were both rather condascending towards Toni and as for Lorraine's whiney voice...arghghghghghg (LOL at Appalakian!)

I'm glad Karen and Debbie defended Toni.....the others were being unnecessarily picky.

Hi BG...I've lost interest in this programme, I've missed most of this week's shows!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I totally agree, especially when they're at places like Portmadog, with Snowdon on their doorstep.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with a visit to a slate mine, but it can't compare to driving the roads either side of Snowdon.

To me, this is how Coach Trip started going downhill, when they dropped showing us the scenery, and replaced it with "this is what we told you five minutes ago..." followed by an interminable vote.

I really would have loved to have seen Porthmadog and the harbour near the location of Duke Of Cornwall in St Austell, which was shown for 0.000001 of a second.
  • Janet_AgarJanet_Agar Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with the posts about lady with the tattoos serving breakfast in a vest top -really don't like that look.
    In the summer you'll see in supermarkets men with this look -with big hairy armpits reaching over the shelves .I know she didn't have those -but it looks -well I really can't think why I dislike those vests so much -cos bare arms are ok -must be
    what?
    Forum Member
    Janet_Agar wrote: »
    ...well I really can't think why I dislike those vests so much -cos bare arms are ok -must be
    what?

Too casual?
    As well as hygiene regulations I do like people to be professionally identified by their clothing e.g. a waiter/waitress wearing a clean bib apron, a cook wearing an overall that kind of thing?

Hi GS, it's always a bit sad when a programme goes right off the boil. A classic case of the directors thinking the viewing public wants one thing and a lot of the viewers saying they want something else.

's all about the drama these days innit :rolleyes:
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they were very unfair to Toni - clearly some sort of game playing going on there.

Toni and the two girls from Cornwall are the only ones to come out of this week's show with their heads held high.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Excuse me? You're the one who said you found it hard to believe I paid £25 for breakfast. In other words, I'm lying. Your nasty retort indicates you're the one who needs to grow up.

Finding something hard to believe is not the same as refusing to believe something. It is because one looks at something from ones persective when saying so. It is just a figure of speech people use all the time and If you cannot grasp that subtlety then so be it.

Perhaps you can go and admonish the OP here :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1788466

You took offence where none was meant or intended.
    Forum Member

Karen and Debbie were wilfully blind to Toni's failings. The others may have been over picky but they did make some good points. The one about pre-ordering breakfast for example.

Karen and Debbie are rather unlikeable and Karen looked like a slob in the kitchen. No apron, not covering up her large arms. Okay, it is not like the old days where people would be smoking in the kitchen but come on !!!! Would I want a cooked breakfast from someone like that. Hell no. Especially given how dirty the hotel seemed when they checked the rooms.

In fact this has to be the worst week I can recall. None of the characters are likeable. I would say Toni is the least unlikeable of the four hoteliers. Karen and Louis are equally awful and Gino's wife is pretty condescending too.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Karen and Debbie were wilfully blind to Toni's failings. The others may have been over picky but they did make some good points. The one about pre-ordering breakfast for example.

Karen and Debbie are rather unlikeable and Karen looked like a slob in the kitchen. No apron, not covering up her large arms. Okay, it is not like the old days where people would be smoking in the kitchen but come on !!!! Would I want a cooked breakfast from someone like that. Hell no. Especially given how dirty the hotel seemed when they checked the rooms.

In fact this has to be the worst week I can recall. None of the characters are likeable. I would say Toni is the least unlikeable of the four hoteliers. Karen and Louis are equally awful and Gino's wife is pretty condescending too.

Tell it how it is......:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »

The BIB is the only bit of your post that I agree with :p
    Forum Member
    The BIB is the only bit of your post that I agree with :p

Vive La Difference :D

I do want to like Toni because I do find it admirable that she has decided to do something and is making an effort to do it.

I think she needs to realise that her place is homely not luxury. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

She just comes over to me as rather aloof.

Of the four b&b's this week hers is the one I would probably stop in. I would not stop in the others.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hello Karen.

Waited all day and not 1 trimming lady gardens joke. Very disappointing.

Looking forward to this evening, hope it goes well for you.:)
This discussion has been closed.