Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/02/fox-sets-uk-premiere-date-for-da-vincis-demons/

Looks interesting enough but I'd be surprised if it last's more than one season

Comments

• paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

The trailers look good. To be honest this is on Starz in the US and they do tend to look more long term than the traditional mainstream channels - so has a good chance of lasting.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No fancy for this one.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    From what I've found, a continuation of a BBC Worldwide and Starz Joint Venture, of some description, of the back of last years rather suspect Torchwood Miracle Day.

Slightly surprised in that respect Fox UK have it, but whatever.

The trailers look like an amalgam of Game of Thrones meets The Borgias meets Warehouse 13.

We'll see what comes I guess. The CGi of Florence looks respectable.

--
    Fox UK - Your teaser campaign is way too cryptic, and most people will be going WTF ?

....I initially thought is said www.historyisalie.com - LOL :o
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It might be an idea if this thread is treated as a UK pace one
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member

Sounds absolutely awful! :p

I'm still going to watch it :o
  • NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over 2.14 million total viewers watched Da Vinci’s Demons during its premiere weekend, helping it become the highest-rated launch ever for an original Starz series.

Well it seems popular so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I was wrong then as it's just been renewed for a second season
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it set for series record.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this.... tonight.:cool:
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Already watched the first episode but enjoy folks.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really struggled to watch the whole episode. didn't really engage with me at all. Obviously a fantasy series "based" on Da Vinci but even so I can't really see him as a smart-ass, wisecracking GQ model.

The visuals are great, though. And Lucrezia is quite a stunner.

Oh, and the dialogue is awful. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with a historical setting and very contemporary dialogue. Very jarring.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Really struggled to watch the whole episode. didn't really engage with me at all. Obviously a fantasy series "based" on Da Vinci but even so I can't really see him as a smart-ass, wisecracking GQ model.

Oh, and the dialogue is awful. Not sure what they're trying to achieve with a historical setting and very contemporary dialogue. Very jarring.
    Even if this was rubbish {I loved every minute of it last night}...I'd still watch, just to see Lucrezia...:p

But I'm not sure I can watch Downton Abbey, the same way again.:eek:

Great CGI too.....but who/what is the Turk.
    Forum Member
    I don't think any of us can watvh DA's Robert ever again in the same light again.

Think I've already figured out Lucrezia's motivation for playing spy too. It's pretty obvious if I'm right.

The Turk - Al Rahim or basically DaVinci's Ras Al Ghul I'm willing to bet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Took me a while to recognise the actor who played The Turk

Alexander Siddig aka Dr Bashir from Star Trek: DS9
    Forum Member
    He was also in Merlin and Primeval as well.

He's got quite a cult background, TV wise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    He was also in Merlin and Primeval as well.

He's got quite a cult background, TV wise.

So does his twin James Callis :D
    Forum Member
    Ah, he does.

Watched the repeat of episode 1 last night on FOX, will be watching episode 2 tomorrow at some point.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »

His ginger model, with the unfortunately tiny breasts, made Lucrezia look like a minger.

Was very disappointed, as having read a Biography of Da Vinci, is p155e5 all over accepted fact. The whole scene with the small and the larger mechanical birds was ridiculous, and the dream scene with the birds has absolutely nothing to do with Vitruvian Man, that flashed past.

My expectation was for something a bit Warehouse 13-ey, the history excerpts, but it it more Borgias's Lite, with excessive and IMHO unrepresentative homosexuality. The Pope in a huge bath with a young boy, who then got casually whacked by one of his henchmen, because he over-heard something said in front of his face - really ............:mad:
    Forum Member
    Second episode is an improvement if that's something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Was very disappointed, as having read a Biography of Da Vinci, is p155e5 all over accepted fact. The whole scene with the small and the larger mechanical birds was ridiculous, and the dream scene with the birds has absolutely nothing to do with Vitruvian Man, that flashed past.

That's the whole point of the show

When The Turk was talking to Leonardo he said something like, and I'm paraphrasing here "history is always mucked about with and in the future your history will be too"
    Forum Member
    That's the whole point of the show

When The Turk was talking to Leonardo he said something like, and I'm paraphrasing here "history is always mucked about with and in the future your history will be too"

Yes, but as with many shows, there is credible re-imagining, and there is being preposterous.

Warehouse 13 works well in context, with their delving back into history and working up some lore around artifacts and people like HG.

DVD seemed pretty scattergun, with stuff that was incredulous like the implausible large mechanical birds, yet a little earlier in the show they had only just test flown a kite/glider made of wood and fabric.

Vitruvian Man has nothing to do with a dream about birds.

DaVinci's historical trail about his relationships and lack of wife/children is pretty empty, with there being some wishful thinking claim he had homosexual tendencies, but this show portrayed him as a 'Jack the Lad', wannabee arm's supplier, and randy idiot, shagging his new benefactors wife.

I hope it improves, as it was 'too busy' for my liking too.

A shame..... as the known history is Da Vinci has so much promise covering science, engineering and art, and his known history traverses from Florence, Rome, Turin, Paris etc.... with many significant benefactors from the Medici's, through a King of France with significant quantities of his work ultimately ending up in the Royal Collection in Windsor Castle.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the first episode, cheap effects and annoying language, not for me unfortunately as the subject is something I am interested in.
    Forum Member
    AfterElton/The Back Lot really have taken exception to it as well ...

http://www.thebacklot.com/tag/davincis_demons/
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think when you accept it is only loosely based on Leonardo's life then you can just enjoy it for what it is.

I do still think it is worth watching.