Living Colour.

and probably the best example

Kings X.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    Paolo Nutini (however you spell his name)
    Seemed to have disappeared then all of a sudden he's reappeared with a different sound, but don't think it's catching anyone's interest.

His latest album went straight to Number One and was certified platinum three months ago, so that's 500,000 people's interest at the very least.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga: when she first burst on to the scene she was seen as a pioneer, Just Dance & Pokerface were a massive stepchange in the music that was in the mainstream charts...several average releases later and she's seen as just another popstar. She's far from finished, and could still come back with a hit, but I don't think she's ever going to be seen in the same light again.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga: when she first burst on to the scene she was seen as a pioneer, Just Dance & Pokerface were a massive stepchange in the music that was in the mainstream charts...several average releases later and she's seen as just another popstar. She's far from finished, and could still come back with a hit, but I don't think she's ever going to be seen in the same light again.

Whilst DS is a mainly pop based forum, and whilst I'm no fan, I doubt that will bother Lady Gaga at all, to be honest.

Outside of the boyband/girlband/X-Factor-type acts the British Singles Chart isn't the be-all-and-end-all for most acts.

Laday Gaga is now in a position where she can take her music in the direction she chooses, not many reach that level, and if it means a lack of singles success in the UK I doubt she would even notice, as her tours are still selling out and she is still shifting albums. She is smart enough to know a fan base with the average age of 10 is very limiting to long term success.
  • Options
    hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    (Feel free to skip to the highlighted section at the end if you don't find my longwinded example of interest!)

I won't say "anyone remember Soul II Soul", because anyone around at the time will at least recognise the name, and probably remember at least one of their hits. Yet, they don't seem to have had much legacy beyond that.

I say this because they got a lot of positive critical attention at the time for moving the soul genre forwards in a fresh manner, more hip-hop influenced and reflecting a distinctive British-originated (*) style that didn't simply mimic the late-80s American soul sound.

One might have expected them to become one of those "important" bands whose influence everyone talks about years later.

Yet, since their heyday I'd already heard at least one person say that their music hadn't dated all that well. Having come across a couple of their tracks on a compilation, I was curious to note that "Rate Your Music's" reviews only gave (e.g.) "Club Classics Vol. 1" a 3.38 rating (i.e. decent, but not outstanding).

"Resist_retreat" notably says there, "To say that this album has fallen into disrepute may be stretching things a bit, but its rating here is astonishingly low for a record that, on release, was pretty much at the cutting edge."

Did they fail to meet the promise that many saw in them? Did later acts simply overshadow them and make their work seem less interesting in hindsight? Did they fizzle out when they got other singers in and started being seen as "Jazzy B and some other people"?

It got me thinking. Can anyone else think of any bands that were lauded or considered important at the time yet, years later, aren't considered as "landmark" nor as well-remembered as you might have expected?

(*) Read as "typical London-centric media's view of "Britishness" " (rolls eyes), but that's beside the point here

I saw soul to soul in july, they did the festival circuit this summer and were on the bbbc's coverage of tea in the park. They were also on soccer AM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    Ms.Dynamite was very much the next big thing back in 2002 - she had 2 Top 10 singles, glowing reviews from critics, won the Mercury Music Prize and got herself 2 BRIT awards. Yet her second album didn't even make the top 40 and she has since been pretty much forgotten by both the mainstream and the critics - even her acclaimed debut is absent from the vast majority of 'Best Albums of the 00s' lists.

Shes still about, she has dueted with zinc and katy b in past few years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    The M People. I remember they were everywhere in the mid 1990s but seemed to fade away without a trace apart from Heather Small popping up somewhere every so often. What happened?

Mike pickering from M people still djs alot and is a&r for calvin harris
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LED93 wrote: »
    Radiohead. Regarded by many as the best band of the last 20 years and having the best album of the 90's and 00's but they dropped off big time. There not as well known and popular as some people make them out to be.

Nonsense, Radiohead are one of the few bands that are still as revered as they used to be (although Kng of Limbs was thoroughly mediocre).

Suede are a good example. It's a shame 90s journalists decided to run with Oasis' lad-rock over their more perverse and interesting music.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garbage.
    They were always well received by critics.

What's happened to them?
    Garbage are still going. Released an album last year I believe
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    Garbage are still going. Released an album last year I believe

2012. The next album is due in 2015.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kula Shaker
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have speed-read this topic, so apologies if they've been mentioned, but my first thought when I saw the thread topic was 'Keane'.

When they released 'Hopes & Fears' the critics adored them. Not so much after that IIRC.

I know that all of their studio albums hit Number 1, but the sales of each subsequent album just got less & less. I would struggle to name any Keane single that came from album number 2 onwards, which is a shame really as H&F was a brilliant album (IMO).
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finley quaye
    republica
    sleeper
    amerie
    estelle
    curiosity killed the cat
    level 42
    go west
    loose ends
    the noisettes
    brownstone
    scissor sisters
    stereo MCs
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Family.
    Thunder.
    RPLA.
    Living Colour.

and probably the best example

Kings X.

Thunder are as popular as ever. They never got seen as a big deal in the first place. Shame really as they are a fantastic live band.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=MrMarple;74808088When they released 'Hopes & Fears' the critics adored them. Not so much after that IIRC.
    [/QUOTE]

Critics didn't like Hopes and Fears much at all. None of their albums scored over 65 at Metacritic (H&F's gets 61).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Critics didn't like Hopes and Fears much at all. None of their albums scored over 65 at Metacritic (H&F's gets 61).

It won the BRIT award for best album and Tim Rice-Oxley won the Ivor Novello Award for composer of the year for the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    It won the BRIT award for best album and Tim Rice-Oxley won the Ivor Novello Award for composer of the year for the album.

Well the Brits is nothing more than a popularity contest and I can't think of many Brit Musicians who haven't won a Ivor at some time.

The reviews from the critics were mixed to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Well the Brits is nothing more than a popularity contest and I can't think of many Brit Musicians who haven't won a Ivor at some time.

The reviews from the critics were mixed to say the least.

I'll keep my opinions to myself then if that's what you want?

Christ, it's people like you who take the fun out of posting on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you posted a incorrect fact, not an opinion. Your opinion is you liked the album, and that's fine. But to say the album was released to critical acclaim is a fact....I was just saying it's not entirely correct.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bloody hell, calm down.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if they have been mentioned but TRAVIS

Sorry I posted them without checking my facts, they still seem to get high chart placings.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    icanboogie wrote: »
    Not sure if they have been mentioned but TRAVIS

I remember 'the man who' was hyped to the max but I felt it was all a bit blah... They seemed to be everywhere but then not.

I think band's like that get so big and over-exposed at times that people get sick of them. See also - Coldplay and Oasis.

And why is it always the blandest songs that seem to become the most popular songs? Roll With It is terrible next to anything off the Masterplan album. Why Does It Always Rain On Me is a total dirge. Why wasn't She's So Strange the hit song instead? And Politik should have been the hit song off Coldplay's 1st album.

That's just how it seems to me anyway. Anthem songs do well in sales but get very annoying after a while.
  • Options
    AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Emotional Pony.
    Klubb.
  • Options
    TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember all the hype about La Roux and I thought she was dreadful as she sounded like a set of car tyres being dragged up the M6 on her first album :p I must admit I thought her new album was quite good and she didn't sound so bad on it :blush: Little Boots was also the winner of the BBC Sound of 2009 poll IIRC or was it Florence or La Roux? I really can't remember :p

Queen Florence, born to slay.