Was On the Buses the best sitcom?

124»

Comments

• Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    Clearly, the majority of people slagging this off didn't live it (the seventies) so are clueless and to be honest, suffer from an overdose of political correctness; there are other shows that you don't get to see now i.e. Love thy Neighbour c/o pc bs !
    People ask did women wear mini skirts then ? What a strange question ? Do you think it was filmed a year ago and made to look like what somebody perceived as the seventies. Dearie me.
    Never mind, in forty years time, people will be slagging off the drivel that is on the tv today.

I remember the mini skirts of those days. I was one of the young women wearing them. But I wasn't wearing them because I wanted or welcomed the attentions of grubby, repellent, little middle-aged men, nor did I find a comedy(sic) programme that normalised such behaviour entertaining.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I remember the mini skirts of those days. I was one of the young women wearing them. But I wasn't wearing them because I wanted or welcomed the attentions of grubby, repellent, little middle-aged men, nor did I find a comedy(sic) programme that normalised such behaviour entertaining.

Nobody is saying that you wore them for that reason, it was the fashion of the time !
    Also, I'm not stating that political correctness is the only reason; it's not the complete reason but it hasn't helped. Wonder what will be PC in 40 years time ? Breathing ?
    The bottom line is, it was comedy of that time, like it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    Nobody is saying that you wore them for that reason, it was the fashion of the time !
    Also, I'm not stating that political correctness is the only reason; it's not the complete reason but it hasn't helped. Wonder what will be PC in 40 years time ? Breathing ?
    The bottom line is, it was comedy of that time, like it or not.

It was a dated and offensive comedy of that time.

Other comedies of that time include:

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
    The Goodies
    Open All Hours
    Monty Python
    Q

On The Buses was bad then, bad today and will always be bad.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that's your opinion. Thankfully, not everybody shares it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Sorry, but that response just doesn't work.
    Just because someone doesn't like something from before they were born, doesn't mean to say it is a 'PC' problem. In fact, a response using that as an excuse simply shows how little understanding has been brought to bear here.

I didn't like the 'sleazy', grubby men I saw, but what offended me much more was the lack of any attempt at intelligent humour.
    Going for seaside postcard type humour had surely been done to death long before this series was broadcast?

I asked my parents what they thought of OTB and they both laughed and said it was truly awful.
    So really, it is more a matter of taste I guess....

There is a certain amount of Political Correctness to complaints about the programme. In fifty years time someone might be condemning it because they all ate together and did not go somewhere private to eat. Fashions change.

I suspect there was an element in trolling to the original post as few would consider it the best comedy programme but it was definitely funny and certainly funnier than much of the very offensive stuff that is inflicted on us now.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't find OTB offensive, but have caught a few episodes and thought they were pretty darn bad. Quite liked Michael Robbins in it, though.

I *really* like Man about the House. Course it's dated too, but it's sharply written and really well performed. Gawd bless Richard O'Sullivan....and Paula Willcox was a very early crush of mine.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I think it was up there with the best i have all the series and think they are funny.

The three films i love.

Mutiny on the Buses where the animals got on the bus at Windsor Safari Park.

Holiday on the Buses they blew up the chalet toliets with using white spirit down the toliet and blowing the drain system up.

And the Film On The Buses the first one out grossed the James Bond film that year.

And the series was sold sucessfully overseas. Its record speaks for yourself if you seek PC comedy though look elsewhere.;-)

That statistic is much quoted but misleading as 'Diamonds are Forever' was not released until 14 December 1971 where 'On the Buses' was released in July.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Buses_(film)
  • Options
    John_DarylJohn_Daryl Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple question, simple answer........NO!
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That statistic is much quoted but misleading as 'Diamonds are Forever' was not released until 14 December 1971 where 'On the Buses' was released in July.

Was still the highest grossing film of the year though in the UK.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a dated and offensive comedy of that time.

Other comedies of that time include:

Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
    The Goodies
    Open All Hours
    Monty Python
    Q

On The Buses was bad then, bad today and will always be bad.

Says a person posting in the TV forums where there is also a thread entitled "Best Boobs on TV" that thread must disgust you as well i take it.:D

Thats so popualr its on its second thread.;-)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair enough, but it was still a pretty startling all the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Says a person posting in the TV forums where there is also a thread entitled "Best Boobs on TV" that thread must disgust you as well i take it.:D

Thats so popualr its on its second thread.;-)

Those boobs are just on TV for ogling purposes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those boobs are just on TV for ogling purposes?

To those posting on that thread yes.

Seriously you see far worse on tv now full frontal nudity on reality shows, Holiday reality TV shows of the pst few years Holday reps tv programme where some of the reps played the Helicopter game with the holiday makers far too crude to describe here.:o

And now on TV we have Babestation on freeview (Boobs hanging out) readily acessable and far more titilating pardon the pun,then On The Buses ever was.;-)

It is and was British picture postcard seaside humour.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see some love on here for Man About the House :)

I feel that is one of the best British sitcoms created and very overlooked. Helped that it had four superb comedy performers and quality scripts from Cooke and Mortimer. What also good about it is it had a beginning, resolution and didn't outstay its welcome with only 39 episodes.

Only When I Laugh is good fun too, but went on too long. The first series of Duty Free is gold as well.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    Farting babies, exploding toilets, chip fat stains up the walls.
    That made me laugh out loud! Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads remains one of my favourite TV comedies of all time. Great writing and acting.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »

I feel that is one of the best British sitcoms created and very overlooked. Helped that it had four superb comedy performers and quality scripts from Cooke and Mortimer. What also good about it is it had a beginning, resolution and didn't outstay its welcome with only 39 episodes.

Only When I Laugh is good fun too, but went on too long. The first series of Duty Free is gold as well.

Loved MATH. It had five main performers though, Robin, Chrissy, Jo and Mr & Mrs Roper. each one of whom I thought was excellently cast. Did you think one of them was the weak link or was that just an unintentional error on your part? Not wanting to be pernickety BTW, just curious.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Loved MATH. It had five main performers though, Robin, Chrissy, Jo and Mr & Mrs Roper. each one of whom I thought was excellently cast. Did you think one of them was the weak link or was that just an unintentional error on your part? Not wanting to be pernickety BTW, just curious.

No that's fine :)

I've always felt Sally Thomsett (Jo) was the weak link of the cast. Don't get me wrong she played her part well enough and was well cast, but compared to the others I found her a bit lightweight. Maybe not her fault though because the main stories and best stuff was usually written for the others, so she could have come into her own if given more to work with other than that of the ditsy blonde.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only When I Laugh failed to move on it had the perfect formula to bring in different characters but chose to stick with the main three which made it look silly where they could have made it last longer.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No that's fine :)

I've always felt Sally Thomsett (Jo) was the weak link of the cast. Don't get me wrong she played her part well enough and was well cast, but compared to the others I found her a bit lightweight. Maybe not her fault though because the main stories and best stuff was usually written for the others, so she could have come into her own if given more to work with other than that of the ditsy blonde.

I thought you might say that and I do agree. I've always thought it was a bit telling that she was the only one who never seemed to achieve any mainstream success other than MATH, (Railway Children aside). She just seemed to disappear after it finished. She was great at playing Jo though.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved On The Buses and yes it was one of the best. Still makes me laugh now when I watch an episode.
  • Options
    man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I was never allowed to watch OTB when I was younger for some reason, so now I watch it with pleasure.
    To me its actually pretty funny, I like the period furnishing and clothes ( matching patterned tie and shirt combos. )
    Not a swear word in it, brilliant.
    The thought of those two old blokes chasing mini skirts is so ridiculous, its the charm of it.
    Ok not as good as porridge etc, but for its day, pretty harmless in a carry on type of way.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    a01020304 wrote: »
    It had a successful 7 series and 3 successful movies. the movies had all the same actors and same storylines as the series
    other shows like Bless this House and George and Mildred were good but the movies were shockingly bad and too many things changed.
    So was OTB the best sitcom of its time?

Father Ted for me.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to The New Statesman as best ITV sitcom. I'm a child of the 70s, and OTB was one of those shows that always gave me the creeps, even at a young age. The Harry and Paul clip is spot- on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I liked Man about the House. Quite realistic at the time with shared flats for men and girls, and with men of the same age as girls going out with each other unlike On the Buses.

Father Dear Father was ok , especially the very attractive daughters with Patrick Cargill often threatening to spank them which I suppose was a bit un PC. There was a truly dreadful follow up called the Many Wives of Patrick, Utter tosh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say I thought Lewis had passed on many moons ago but he's still around at 88, he and Anna Karen are the last of the cast members.