Options

advice on sky subscription

shepster34shepster34 Posts: 1,092
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

Up until end of December 2014 i was a sky customer.
I had been with sky for 21 years right back to when sky was analogue, always had the full package including multiroom and HD when they were introduced. i was paying £82.50 just for TV, no broadband.

I have moved house 3 times and paid for re-installation every time including the boxes and even paid for both our little on demand wifi boxes. In all that time of paying full ive never had any discount on anything whatsoever. I like the sky eco system and like that its all in one place and like the record function but as our daughter is now at uni and we are part funding her, we started looking at ways to save money. I also got sick of seeing all the new customer deals and hearing of people getting 50% off, 75% off etc so phoned sky to see what they could offer to a loyal customer of 21 years.

Firstly sky customer service said if i wanted to save money i could drop movies and sports, not really what i wanted to do. They then said if i keep full package they could knock £10 off for 6 months if i signed up for another 12 months. Still not happy with that deal. i was finally offered £20 off for 6 months if i signed a new 12 month contract and that was best they could offer. I then decided i would cancel my sky as i still wasnt happy with less than 25% off for 6 months while signing a new 12 months deal.

i am not greedy but after all this time of paying full i thought it was about time i got a decent discount even if its just for 12 months then i'd go back to paying normal price.

On 1st Jan my sky finished and weve been using a nowtv box with a 3 months entertainment package which i bought from currys for £14. Its quite good.

Thing is, its nearly been a month and surprisingly they havent contacted me once so im assuming they dont want my business. If they havent been in touch by now is it the likelihood that they wont? Any advice of what i should do next. I dont really want to ring them as it puts them in the driving seat when making an offer. I believe in loyalty but where is their loyalty. At the end of the day its up to them what they offer me.

Im with Virgin for my broadband so may just go with them if Virgin offer me a decent package. Then after a year weigh up who is offering the best deal at that point as it seems it pays to be like that. I guess this is the way of the world nowadays, same as phone contracts.

Its certainly taught me one lesson, it doesnt pay to be loyal nowadays.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what to say really? :D
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Its certainly taught me one lesson, it doesnt pay to be loyal nowadays. "

Absolutely,

Make sure through my sky that the marketing preferences are ticked. Just so it isn't that, that is blocking them calling you.

Other than that I am no expert but you have 2 options I guess:
    - Wait and see what happens.
    - Ring them up saying you are really missing the Sky package, but can't afford to pay the full amount - I am unsure whether this would prevent them offering deals should you get no joy, but I can't think why.

I'm not trying to peeve you off, just illustrating they do do deals for existing customers - Over Christmas I eventually got 50% off for 12 months with no new contract commitment. I had originally cancelled, but the TV had not gone off. They HAD previously rung me before offering a deal that I thought was 33% (but I think I miscalculated). I was on the legacy HD variety pack (The one with F1HD - but I had to move onto a new pack and lose this :( )
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Remember that advert for the bank, where he is saying he doesn't get any offers and the bank manager is like 'well, you're in the keep net, those offers are just for new customers'

Sky aren't obliged to offer you anything and you have voted with your feet so to speak.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I'm sort of in the same boat, been with them 16 years. I recently dropped to the "Original" Pack, got rid of all the HD channels etc, they have tried to get me back with half price for a year etc. But I find with Netflix/Amazon Prime, I'm recording maybe 2 or 3 programmes a week from actual sky and maybe 1 or 2 from the FTA channels. It just isn't worth paying all that money for a couple of programmes.

I've looked at NOW TV but feel yet again sky are being devious in the 12 channels they offer, when at least 3 of them I'm never going to watch. So decided to keep sky. I wonder why in this day and age they can't offer a proper "pick and mix" so 12 channels to choose from say 20 or so, so you can as the customer actually get what you want, and not what SKY seem to think you want.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of in the same boat, been with them 16 years. I recently dropped to the "Original" Pack, got rid of all the HD channels etc, they have tried to get me back with half price for a year etc.

I've recently done the same, dropped to Original bundle, mainly for financial reasons. So far I've received two offers via email, one offering 25% off HD pack for a year and another offering Sky Sports half price for 9 months!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    My sub ended on 22nd Dec last year and in that time I have been offered 1/3 off any sub until 2020, twice. If you can stand not having Sky even for a short time they will very likely make you a decent offer.
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cancelled a Sky subscription which has just finished last week and when I logged back into MySky on their website yesterday it said "come back and get 35% off Sky TV for 12 months, plus a free Sky+HD box and installation." No other marketing has come my way yet though.