Options

Can my employer sack me with me having a sick note?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cazzz wrote: »
    Also dont forget to let them know if you move, after all you wouldnt want your Christmas party invitaion going to the wrong place;)

Or the letter from Alan Sugar inviting the OP to be on the Apprentice
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B3aten wrote: »
    Or the letter from Alan Sugar inviting the OP to be on the Apprentice

alan sugar might not be a good boss for the OP after all, he likes to say "you're fired".
  • Options
    Janine999Janine999 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to kick someone when they're down. OP, please get some professional help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janine999 wrote: »
    No need to kick someone when they're down. OP, please get some professional help.

Yeh lets just let him kick others when they are down?? He was just looking for attention - bless him, nothing more. Tho i agree he does need proffesional help :(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my attitude until I read some of the OP's other posts. If it was someone else in this situation, I can't imagine the OP having any sympathy
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Janine - OP posted this on a different thread:

"i couldn't give a monkeys who goes under. My jobs safe."
  • Options
    brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlackOpal wrote: »
    Totally! They are trained how to get what they want out of the person. They must have been inwardly cheering at this result!

Brings to mind the old cliches...

'Softly softly catchee monkey'

'Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer'

With the right sort of mind you will have assumed the position of the employee and played out every situation, planned responses, perceived weaknesses and practised the benevolent but not patronizing smile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, get your self sorted out before trying again with another job, or returning to that job if there's a space.
    I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is hilarious and IMHO completely attention seeking!
    I've read it through but I can't make up my mind... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Someone I work with has just had this happen to her too. She lost her job at the start of the week for having too many absences whilst on probation (despite having a sick note...). I feel so bad for her, I'd just started to get to know her and she was settling in more and more. It's harsh, but I think the way things are at the moment with job losses, companies are perhaps being more ruthless than usual.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work for the inland revenue and for almost two years they kept me unpaid on their employment as per their sickness regulations and only said that they were going to have to let me go when they did as it was you could only claim 6 month full pay and 6 months half pay off sick in any three years and by then i'd gone three years with out being paid. They were paying into my pension and my NI though.
    Even then when I'd been off sick, several operations and left arm permenatnly in a sling so even when I was working I was on reduced duties they still said that if you ever see another job on offer here when youre looking for work again then please come back and apply. Difference was for me though of course was that I'd followed all the procedures and given in sick notes and worked bloody hard when i was there. The point I'm making though is that they knew dam well there was no way that I'd ever be able to return to work for them its just something they automatically say. It helps for one thing in you not being able to say they've discriminated against you.
    Now the charity I work for. we do short term contracts and at the end of each of those contracts with people we say please apply next time anything comes up.
    For the ones though that leave due to ill health we are amazed when they have the nerve to actually apply for a similar job to the one that they'd ended up leaving due to stress first time round. I dont know the sort of work you do but in this sector that is how someone can be informally blacklisted as everyone knows everyone elses business.

Just put it down to experience if it's happened as you said and then go and get the treatment from the gp that you will obviously be needing now if you're suffering with mild depression whilst at work I'm pretty sure that then loosing your job for that reason partly your depression might get worse. So go and get the tretment and councelling nec so that you can then lead a normal life and learn to live in the current day real world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    I used to work for the inland revenue and for almost two years they kept me unpaid on their employment as per their sickness regulations and only said that they were going to have to let me go when they did as it was you could only claim 6 month full pay and 6 months half pay off sick in any three years and by then i'd gone three years with out being paid. They were paying into my pension and my NI though.
    Even then when I'd been off sick, several operations and left arm permenatnly in a sling so even when I was working I was on reduced duties they still said that if you ever see another job on offer here when youre looking for work again then please come back and apply. Difference was for me though of course was that I'd followed all the procedures and given in sick notes and worked bloody hard when i was there. The point I'm making though is that they knew dam well there was no way that I'd ever be able to return to work for them its just something they automatically say. It helps for one thing in you not being able to say they've discriminated against you.
    Now the charity I work for. we do short term contracts and at the end of each of those contracts with people we say please apply next time anything comes up.
    For the ones though that leave due to ill health we are amazed when they have the nerve to actually apply for a similar job to the one that they'd ended up leaving due to stress first time round. I dont know the sort of work you do but in this sector that is how someone can be informally blacklisted as everyone knows everyone elses business.

Just put it down to experience if it's happened as you said and then go and get the treatment from the gp that you will obviously be needing now if you're suffering with mild depression whilst at work I'm pretty sure that then loosing your job for that reason partly your depression might get worse. So go and get the tretment and councelling nec so that you can then lead a normal life and learn to live in the current day real world.

The bold part does not make any sense.
    "Kept you unpaid" for 2 years??
    "i'd gone three years with out being paid." ??
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wills**01 wrote: »
    And why would the HR lady "lie" or be disingeneuous about her remark? It wasn't exactly a reserved, conservative meeting it was a clear the air discussion and I have no reason to doubt what she said, especially as she was in charge of HR for the whole contract. Nobody higher in terms of HR, you lot are twisted, aren't you? :mad:

Have I read that right?:confused:

Do you mean from January through to erm.......February??:eek:
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, this thread is an interesting look into other peoples lives and expectations.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member

I have to say I wondered about this too - it sounded a bit odd, but then most of the thread sounds a bit odd really! :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lushness wrote: »
    I have to say I wondered about this too - it sounded a bit odd, but then most of the thread sounds a bit odd really! :o:D

I think OP worked for a contractor like Sodexho, Aramak or such like, and he means that the HR person was THE HR person who deals with that areas hr problems and contracts. ( they are usually split into areas like south, south-west, midlands etc)
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    I think OP worked for a contractor like Sodexho, Aramak or such like, and he means that the HR person was THE HR person who deals with that areas hr problems and contracts. ( they are usually split into areas like south, south-west, midlands etc)

Oh right, thanks for explaining. :)
  • Options
    ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    I came across this thread whilst searching for something else...what a bunch of self-righteous wotsits we have on this thread. Didn't come as much of a surprise to me after spotting some of the usual suspects. Some obviously get their jollies kicking a person when they're down and purposely come on the advice forum for some warped reason, as I never see these particular people express much empathy.

OP - I too have suffered with depression and when you have it, you know you do - you don't necessarily need a doctor to diagnose it.

OP, I hope you are feeling better and more settled :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry havent had a chance to read the full ten pages but i'd like to add that a similar thing happened to me. i was working in a job for about two years, was out twice for two weeks at a time with tonsilitus and nothing was said. then i had to take a week off with depression, had a sick note but ended up getting a verbal warning because depression wasnt see as a proper medical condition. my boss was all oh why cant you just go to yoga or something. i was too upset at the time to say anything but thankfully i dont work there anymore.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    I came across this thread whilst searching for something else...what a bunch of self-righteous wotsits we have on this thread. Didn't come as much of a surprise to me after spotting some of the usual suspects. Some obviously get their jollies kicking a person when they're down and purposely come on the advice forum for some warped reason, as I never see these particular people express much empathy.

OP - I too have suffered with depression and when you have it, you know you do - you don't necessarily need a doctor to diagnose it.

The OP's story was slightly awry at the start was whatever reason and then it was something to do with the OP's previous comments towards others who were losing their job was when poster's views were turning. [URL="[QUOTE=Hey You;30720356]TBH after reading this post by you on another thread:"]Clearer info here.[/URL]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »

They were being like that because of comments the op made in another thread basically saying he couldn't care less if retail workers lost their jobs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did say those comments, along the lines of "i dont care, my job is safe" and it was. I left because I wanted to. Im young and didnt want to stay there for the rest of my life. (this is the job before this one by they way).

Anyway, i feel better now, not working but still plenty of jobs out there for people!