Two Orange contracts (apparently), and I should only have one...

mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
Forum Member
Hi guys. A bit of urgent help would be nice!

Right, my upgrade date for Orange came up on 15th September (3 months before my contract end date, as is the norm). So, I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone.

I went down to the Orange shop in my local town, and did what I thought was exactly that - upgrade to an iPhone.

Now, I rang them today, because my number hadn't transferred from one SIM to the other yet, and i was told that I now have two contracts. Obviously, this isn't what I want.

What can I do? Is it just a simple fact that the guy in the shop put it through as 'new' instead of 'upgrade'? Can I go back to the shop and get him to sort it out?

All I wanted was to have the usual thing of getting a new phone and keeping my number, as I've done before!

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Why don't you just ask them... Dial 150 buddy!
  • darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just becuase you had an upgrade 3 months early, doesnt mean that contract is finished, you still have 3 months to run on it. You signed up for a contract of a certain length and upgrading early, doesnt get you out of the contract you originally signed.

The new contract you agree as part of the upgrade to, doesnt start until the old contract expires, tho you'll start to pay the new contract rate immediately.

for example, if you took a new 18 month contract as your upgrade and had 3 months left on your old one, you now have 21 months to wait until the end of your contracted period.

This is how you'll end up with 2 contracts...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »

Right, my upgrade date for Orange came up on 15th September (3 months before my contract end date, as is the norm). So, I wanted to upgrade to an iPhone.

I went down to the Orange shop in my local town, and did what I thought was exactly that - upgrade to an iPhone.

Now, I rang them today, because my number hadn't transferred from one SIM to the other yet, and i was told that I now have two contracts. Obviously, this isn't what I want.

What can I do? Is it just a simple fact that the guy in the shop put it through as 'new' instead of 'upgrade'? Can I go back to the shop and get him to sort it out?

All I wanted was to have the usual thing of getting a new phone and keeping my number, as I've done before!

Thanks for any advice.

You ought perhaps to have been told about the implications of what you wanted to do, i.e. that you would end up paying two contracts at the same time. Obviously, you would not have gone ahead had you been told this.

l'd suggest having a word with Consumer Direct http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/Governmentcitizensandrightscontacts/DG_195948 to see how stand on this one and write down what they say. lf the advice is in your favour then l'd suggest going back to Orange relay the advice and ask for the cancellation of one of the contracts otherwise you'll be going to your local trading standards office (just plug your postcode in here http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/index.cfm). Good luck!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have upgraded early twie but had one contract and one number with Orange ... PJ
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three let you upgrade 3 months early, you don't have to pay 2 contracts though the remainder of the period is just added on to your new contract. I should imagine that was what was supposed to happen in this case.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.

How did they process the upgrade? did you get a computer print out otherwise known as a CIF? generally Orange Retail has two ways to upgrade customers one manually by calling up from store or using Enable. The best thing to do is go back to the store and tell them, if you were due an upgrade as you say then the sales advisor should have processed it accordingly. You need to go back to store to get them to rectify it.