Options

M&S chicken 'from just' £2

littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm planning on going to the nearest main store tomorrow to buy a couple. Thing is, I'm wondering about the size - like how many would one feed. The second thing is the 'from' bit. In the Clapham Junction station metro size M&S they had the brand currently being advertised but for £6 and it would just about do 2 people. So by my reckoning the £2 bird must be the size of a quail! Has anyone bought one these chickens yet?.

Comments

• Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littlefro wrote: »
    I'm planning on going to the nearest main store tomorrow to buy a couple. Thing is, I'm wondering about the size - like how many would one feed. The second thing is the 'from' bit. In the Clapham Junction station metro size M&S they had the brand currently being advertised but for £6 and it would just about do 2 people. So by my reckoning the £2 bird must be the size of a quail! Has anyone bought one these chickens yet?.

No, tried too but they had all sold out early today. Maximum of two per person. More coming in again tomorrow apparently Problem is I can't get there until after work so doubtless they will all be gone again.
  • Options
    SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had them in all day. All types and all sizes.

Basically the offer is that they are half price. So whatever it says on the label on the chicken, halve that, and that's what you pay. You choose the chicken you want.

The range goes from largeish corn fed free range types that were originally £11 or so to small Oakham chickens which were originally £3.70 or so. So, the £2 thing really isn't definite, it could actually be lower than that depending on the chicken you choose.

Yes the small chickens are exactly that, small. But plenty of singles, couples and elderly folk were happy to buy one.
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I appear to have missed out on the M&S £2 chicken deal. However :) my luck was in with a lunctime visit to Wandsworth Sainsburys today. Whole chickens going for half price. I bagged a 2.5 Kilo bird only £2.79 (No giblets). I would have bought two but it was the thought of carrying both all the way home that stopped me. There were good size organic, and cornfed ones too going for £3.82. There must be a glut on. First M&S, and a work colleague told me that chickens were going for near enough half price at the Co-Op and you know how expensive that supermarket normally is.

This chicken is going to cleaned, washed, and frozen for Christmas, should be good with a freshly boiled ham. Tomorrow I'm shopping early in my local big Sainsbury to see if I can get some more. You can never have enough chicken in my house.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    normal chicken 3./49/Kilo - half price = 1.74

free range = 5.49/Kilo - half price = 2.74

i think these are correct, from memory

these are M&S Oakham chickens. Very nice chickens, we often get them anyway.
  • Options
    SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And organic free range down to £2.99/kg

Basically what you see on the label, halve it.

Sold out of everything today, even sold out of some that were meant for tomorrow.
    Cue irate customers that can't grasp the concept of 'subject to availability'.