Sally Traffic and Chris Tarrant

2»

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    notfussy wrote: »
    I'm quite enjoying Chris Tarrant in for Steve Wright on Radio 2.

Any ideas when Steve is back?

Monday 9th August 2pm.
  • Options
    Radio GurlRadio Gurl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Certainly a damn site better than Dale Winton...
  • Options
    Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    That's right. Tarrant replaced Graham Dene in 1987. :)

Didn't Chris Tarrant take over from Mike Smith?
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Tc7 wrote: »

Mike Smith was at R1 1986-88

CT joined Capital early '84 doing a light hearted Sunday show, before moving to weekday lunch times (I think Mike Aspel took his Sunday show) and then to breakfast in '87
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

CT joined Capital early '84 doing a light hearted Sunday show, before moving to weekday lunch times (I think Mike Aspel took his Sunday show) and then to breakfast in '87

Mike Smith left Capital in '86 then? CT took his place on the Breakfast Show?
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Smith left Capital in '86 then? CT took his place on the Breakfast Show?

No, Graham Dene took over from Mike Smith (for his second stint at breakfast I believe). Tarrant eventually had a lunchtime show and swapped after a while with Dene.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    No, Graham Dene took over from Mike Smith (for his second stint at breakfast I believe). Tarrant eventually had a lunchtime show and swapped after a while with Dene.

Indeed. Graham took over Capital Breakfast from Kenny Everett in the late 70's, Mike Smith came in around '81 but didn't stick around for too long before departing to Radio 1 so they gave Breakfast back to Graham. Not sure what show Graham hosted during his time between his two Breakfast stints.

Tarrant took over Breakfast in early 86 I think basically swapping shifts with Dene except David Jensen lost 30 minutes from his show so it ran 6.30-9am Tarrant, 9-11am Jensen, 11am-1pm Dene 1-1.10pm Capital Reports, 1.10-3pm Roger Scott, 3-5pm John Sachs, 5-7pm Nicky Horne (replaced by Peter Young). Evenings are a bit sketchy but believe Richard Allison was on lates from 10pm-midnight at this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sachs in the afternoon! :)

Are any of them currently in radio?

They were good days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sachs in the afternoon! :)

Are any of them currently in radio?

They were good days!

Jensen / Allinson aside I think Nicky Horne is on Planet Rock?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Evenings are a bit sketchy but believe Richard Allison was on lates from 10pm-midnight at this time.

I think the horror that was the Pat Sharp / Mick Brown combo was there. Greg Edwards at weekends, was cool :-)
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    I think the horror that was the Pat Sharp / Mick Brown combo was there. Greg Edwards at weekends, was cool :-)

No Brown and Sharp and indeed Neil Fox did not come until later.
    At the time Pat was on Mercury and although Mick was at Capital he had a weekend show and was Mick the Brick on Graham Dene's Wall Game on his weekday lunchtime show.

Someone please remind us who did evenings on Capital 84-87. It may have been Gary Crowley but I thought that was earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jensen / Allinson aside I think Nicky Horne is on Planet Rock?

Nicky Horne on Teamrock Radio now. I knows that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Brown and Sharp and indeed Neil Fox did not come until later.
    At the time Pat was on Mercury and although Mick was at Capital he had a weekend show and was Mick the Brick on Graham Dene's Wall Game on his weekday lunchtime show.

Someone please remind us who did evenings on Capital 84-87. It may have been Gary Crowley but I thought that was earlier.

Mick Brown was also Motorway Mick!! He did the travel from his motorbike!

Gary Crowley did The Tuesday Club which was great!! I got a cassette somewhere! :)
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And earlier, he joined Radio 1 in November 1982, initially on early breakfast and then, from March 1983, at lunchtime. But then he left Radio 1 in 1984 to concentrate on his telly work, before returning to take over the breakfast show in 1986.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

What triggered this response after four years since the last post on this thread?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a search for Sally Traffic as I just don't 'get' her and wondered if I was the only one. I never hear her traffic boulitens properly although I listen and I wondered what is the point of her being on the radio.
    But the last minute decided to be positive and started reading about Capital Radio who I grew up listening to.
    :)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Graham took over Capital Breakfast from Kenny Everett in the late 70's, Mike Smith came in around '81 but didn't stick around for too long before departing to Radio 1 so they gave Breakfast back to Graham. Not sure what show Graham hosted during his time between his two Breakfast stints.

Tarrant took over Breakfast in early 86 I think basically swapping shifts with Dene except David Jensen lost 30 minutes from his show so it ran 6.30-9am Tarrant, 9-11am Jensen, 11am-1pm Dene 1-1.10pm Capital Reports, 1.10-3pm Roger Scott, 3-5pm John Sachs, 5-7pm Nicky Horne (replaced by Peter Young). Evenings are a bit sketchy but believe Richard Allison was on lates from 10pm-midnight at this time.
    Another poster has posted that Chis Tarrant took over Breakfast in 1987, not 1986. I must admit I also thought Chris had moved to the Breakfast show in 1986. However his Wiki page also says he took over Breakfast in 1987.

Does anyone know for definite what year (and month, if known) it was?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Another poster has posted that Chis Tarrant took over Breakfast in 1987, not 1986. I must admit I also thought Chris had moved to the Breakfast show in 1986. However his Wiki page also says he took over Breakfast in 1987.

Does anyone know for definite what year (and month, if known) it was?

Correct 87 and quit. 17 years later in 2004. Although he did take a month off over the summers.
    He was so tired getting up in the morning starting at 6am sorry 6.30 as the first half was recorded and them moved to 7am start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind us if what happened to his assistant. Was it Kara Noble?!
    Blimey... how did I remember that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Remind us if what happened to his assistant. Was it Kara Noble?!
    Blimey... how did I remember that?

She went to Heart, did something bad (to do with Prince Edward's mrs??), got binned off and never heard of again.........
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She went to Heart, did something bad (to do with Prince Edward's mrs??), got binned off and never heard of again.........
    Didn't she sell a topless photo of Sophie, which had been taken back in the 1980s, to The Sun? That led to her being sacked by Heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarrent in the rush-hour! I still sing those words to that song!
    And who remembers Commander Kane? He even had his own FM Rock style show on Capital! It was very LA! 'We built this Ciry' and Bryan Adams etc.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tarrent in the rush-hour! I still sing those words to that song!
    And who remembers Commander Kane? He even had his own FM Rock style show on Capital! It was very LA! 'We built this Ciry' and Bryan Adams etc.

One of my friends and I still talk about clutch-pumpers, SALT and SWOTs thanks to Russ :D
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kara Noble turned up around 2007 was it on Classic Gold I think just for one day with Tony Blackburn or it could have been Adrian John?, she now lives or did back then lived abroad.

I do wonder if Chris will be back on Radio 2 sitting in for Steve again following his mini stroke earlier this month, I do hope so and hope he gets his own show on Radio 2 for a spell.