Options

Greatest Soap TV Moments- c5- 9pm

Comments

• Options
    Sara & EmmaSara & Emma Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Grant/Sharon/Phil triangle not even in the vote? Shocking.

Sara.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was the Grant/Sharon/Phil triangle not even in the vote? Shocking.

Sara.

No, they had to make room for Kat & Alfie. :mad:
  • Options
    teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman off This Mornings commentary ruined the show for me. She took things way too seriously.

Until last night, I had never heard of or seen the John clip from Eastenders.
  • Options
    TheWalfordOneTheWalfordOne Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I was expecting SharonGate to be in the Top 10 too... but these chart shows are a farce anyway. They're not actually in any way a representation of the "Greatest Soap Moments". far from it. Just a cheap way of Channel 5 filling two hours with disposable populist crap.

A serious look a 'Great' soap moments would see how important they were in acting on behalf of the reputation of their soap: Martha Longhusts death in Corrie, 1964; Shiela Grant/Kathy Beale's rapes in the late 80s; Colin/Barry's kiss in EE & Beth/Margret's kiss in Brookie were equally revolutionary (unlike, in terms of culture, the gay kisses in Corrie or The Bill, which were dramatically sensationalist); the cot death of Baby Hassan; the superb CS Ken/Dierdre/Mike love triangle in 1983; Brooksides representations of the hardship of life in Northern 80s Britain. All moments which drove the soaps to the top of their credibility, and tapped into everyday life... what soaps are ought to do. Truly great soap moments.

Thn, of course, are the memorably 'Great' soap moments, such as the Emmerdale Plane Crash, the Demise of Alan Bradley, the Schizophrenia of Joe Wicks, Alfie crashing the Wedding, SharonGate, the Richard Hillman Storyline, The Body Under the Patio, The Cult of Simon (well, anything in 90s Brookie)... which were all very popular, very successful and very 'great', but they were all essentially narrative soap trash (trash in the best possible sense, if you get my meaning). A list of proper 'Great Soap Moments' would peobably make for quite dull TV watching, actually. What we saw last night was "The Top 50 Most Memorable Soap Moments". It was far from the Greatest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly. Safra knows :). Here's a scene from General Hospital from 2000. Carly has fallen down the stairs and miscarried. Here she wakes up and her husband Sonny tells her the baby is dead.
    I cant believe people call the Street serious, when a lot of its cast are one note characatures (Les and Cilla leading the pack). Judge for yourself:

http://rarest-rose.net/clips/2000/052400pt4.zip
    http://rarest-rose.net/clips/2000/052400pt6.zip

Sometimes Corrie is serious, when it is, I don't watch (like during the gay dad storyline). But when it becomes a comedy like it is now, you'd be a fool not to watch, as it's when it's at its best.

I've watched your clips, they just don't do it for me, Little House on the Prairie, now *that* was good drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mick H wrote:
    I can't believe Sunsut Beach didn't get a mention!

I can't believe Shortland Street didn't get a mention !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! So top spot went to good ol' Den n' Angie...

Do you think it will EVER be topped?

Something tells me it wont... It's a bit of a super legend these days:p
  • Options
    Loopy Lisa ChezLoopy Lisa Chez Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we got 10 mentions in the Top 50.

So I guess that means support for corrie is not as high as some of you might think.

nothing will ever top den and angie manly because so many people watched it it is still the highest rated episode of a soap ever!

good old EE you can't nock it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chocopop wrote:

I'd really doubt it.

I think part of the appeal of that scene was the shock factor, these days we'd have known about it for months before it was aired. I can still remember gasping in horror at the tv as though it was real life. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msf wrote:
    I can't believe Shortland Street didn't get a mention !

Shortland Street's never been shown on my ITV region. :( Noone ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention it.

I'm not sure if other regions never got it either, if so it could account for it being missed out. I remember watching it 10 years ago when I was a student in Dundee as Grampian had the good sense to air it. I loved that show :p & would really like it to be shown again even if it was on Sky.
  • Options
    Sweet CherrySweet Cherry Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    chocopop wrote:

That is the best moment ever ever in soap nothing will ever top that infact nothing will come close I was abit shocked that richard hilman was higher than the lil mo trevor stuff.
  • Options
    SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    So I guess that means support for corrie is not as high as some of you might think.

nothing will ever top den and angie manly because so many people watched it it is still the highest rated episode of a soap ever!

good old EE you can't nock it. :)

OMG you just don't understand do you? EE has had lots of fantastic moments in the past, but thats exactly where they are, in the past! Just because it has had these great moments doesn't mean it is still fantastic and as good quality programming as it use to be!
  • Options
    Loopy Lisa ChezLoopy Lisa Chez Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safra wrote:
    OMG you just don't understand do you? EE has had lots of fantastic moments in the past, but thats exactly where they are, in the past! Just because it has had these great moments doesn't mean it is still fantastic and as good quality programming as it use to be!

Hence the words GOOD OLD EE I was talking about the old days if you read though people posts before replying it helps instead you go aroung picking fights with people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've seen the divorce papers eppy, it's pretty amazing stuff :p

And these days, you'd know EXACTLY what the characters would do because all the storylines and characters are SO predictable! But with Den and Angie, it was exciting because Den is very un-predictable and it was a shock.

WHY can EE not be like that?! Ohhh how it pains me... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hence the words GOOD OLD EE I was talking about the old days if you read though people posts before replying it helps instead you go aroung picking fights with people.

LOL you can talk!
    Im not picking fights with anyone, just fed up of you and these stupid posts! You brought Corrie into as though just because EE got more higher moments it means it is better? And why should the other poster automatically become a "jealous Corrie fan"??? Its not a war you know, people can like a range of different soaps, thats why i asked what soap everyone watches in another thread so people like you can see its not that people only watch either Corrie OR EE!
  • Options
    ray76709ray76709 Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like sunset beach...but if sunset beach was going to be mentioned then "Soap" should have been mentioned too since both these programmes are paradoies of the ridiculas storylines in other soaps like EE and home and away!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    OK I'm intrigued.... What exactly did happen in the "Bouncer's dream" episode in neighbours ? I know all the others but never hear of this one !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ray76709 wrote:
    I like sunset beach...but if sunset beach was going to be mentioned then "Soap" should have been mentioned too since both these programmes are paradoies of the ridiculas storylines in other soaps like EE and home and away!

lol. I wouldn't say SB is a parody of other soap storylines like Soap is, just a completely OTT soap!
    Soap on the other hand is, and is a fantastic show! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AndyBot wrote:
    OK I'm intrigued.... What exactly did happen in the "Bouncer's dream" episode in neighbours ? I know all the others but never hear of this one !

I can't remember this episode either. Was his dream just one scene in the episode or did it take up a whole episode?
  • Options
    LiverpoolFCGirlLiverpoolFCGirl Posts: 15,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyBot wrote:
    All I can remember about it is Bouncer getting married to this other dog that he was in love with. Had a ceremony outside this Kennel with all these other little dogs as guests. :D
    You've got to wonder what the writers where on at the time......... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safra wrote:
    I can't remember this episode either. Was his dream just one scene in the episode or did it take up a whole episode?

they said it was the stupidest thing that has happened on neighbours, well about that dance they do at Grease Monkeys. That's very close to putting me off Neighbours altogether.
    And I'm already not to keen on all that religion lark, or Izzie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msf wrote:
    they said it was the stupidest thing that has happened on neighbours, well about that dance they do at Grease Monkeys. That's very close to putting me off Neighbours altogether.
    And I'm already not to keen on all that religion lark, or Izzie.
    This Susan and Tom thing is the worst storyline I have ever seen! I think Izzy is very entertaining even if she isn't the nicest of charactors, but the dance at Grease Monkeys was hilarious. :p (the first time)! :mad: Didn't need to see it again though..... :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Susan and Tom thing is the worst storyline I have ever seen! I think Izzy is very entertaining even if she isn't the nicest of charactors, but the dance at Grease Monkeys was hilarious. :p (the first time)! :mad: Didn't need to see it again though..... :yawn:

I don't like Izzy, she's so boring and pathetic. Libby on the other hand is a lovely sheila :p .
    The dance just makes me sick to my stomach .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msf wrote:
    I don't like Izzy, she's so boring and pathetic. Libby on the other hand is a lovely sheila :p .
    The dance just makes me sick to my stomach .
    I don't like Libby! :p I will never understand why they have brought back her ex either!
    especially as they don't end up together!
    He always irritated me! You know it's one of my fave soaps, yet there are so many people that I don't like! :D
    Lyn; Toadie; Libby; Tom; Valda; Summer............... :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek: how can you not like Valda!??