Options

Recommondantion for other women with period pain problems

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
I would just like to offer a recommendation for women who suffer period pains. I have suffered from this since my teens and have regularly been debilitated for upto 4 days every cycle with severe pain. I have been using Agnus Castus (1-2000mg) off and on for the last 3 months and every day since the beginning of March. Some reports I have read have said to stop when you bleed, but I have taken it all the way through for the first time this cycle and can't believe the difference it has made, usually I take 8 500mg paracetomol a day and 3-4 500mg mefenamic acid a day and still suffer. This month so far I have got away with just taking 4 500mg paracetomol and I am on day 2 of a nasty period as I was 2 weeks late.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitex_agnus-castus

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found Ibuprofen and a port & brandy with a hot water bottle did the trick....
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh bless you, you have my sympathy I suffered the same for years right from when my periods started until after I had my first child. In my case I had very heavy periods, cramping and severe pain on one side, further investigations showed that my womb was tilted or leaning to one side and this apparently was part of my problem. I was also prone to fainting around that time!

Now I am going back a good 20 years here but I do remember I was given Ponstan forte tablets, they worked well for me and did a good job of keeping me more or less human around that time of the month.

When I had my first child something a bit weird happened - he sort or realigned my womb! Or at least many of the problems I had prior to that went away, I still have heavy periods but the pain went! Gone! Just like that! I could not believe it at the time but I have since been told that this can often happen.

So there is hope - I would suggest you revisit your doctor and check out your options, you don't need to be in pain, and hopefully in time it will settle down.

Ponstan forte are still available by the way just had a quick google:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/seniors-health/medicines/ponstan-forte.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh bless you, you have my sympathy I suffered the same for years right from when my periods started until after I had my first child. In my case I had very heavy periods, cramping and severe pain on one side, further investigations showed that my womb was tilted or leaning to one side and this apparently was part of my problem. I was also prone to fainting around that time!

Now I am going back a good 20 years here but I do remember I was given Ponstan forte tablets, they worked well for me and did a good job of keeping me more or less human around that time of the month.

When I had my first child something a bit weird happened - he sort or realigned my womb! Or at least many of the problems I had prior to that went away, I still have heavy periods but the pain went! Gone! Just like that! I could not believe it at the time but I have since been told that this can often happen.

So there is hope - I would suggest you revisit your doctor and check out your options, you don't need to be in pain, and hopefully in time it will settle down.

Ponstan forte are still available by the way just had a quick google:
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/seniors-health/medicines/ponstan-forte.html

Many thanks for your post.

I did not make myself clear as to why I was posting and I appologise. Mefenamic acid and ibruprofen can both stop you getting pregnant and therefore should be avoided or only limited use for women trying to concieve and therefore I have found that Agnus Castus to be a more than suitable alternative.

Looking at the link you posted that is mefenamic acid, which I was one for over 15 years given to me by my doctor and a known cause of implantation problems in early pregnancy.
  • Options
    Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Fanny Anne,
    I'm assuming you have PCOS or something similar? I suffer from the dreaded initials and can sympathise with you. I found a website called Verity very useful to talk to people with PCOS, even if you dont have it it may be worth a look for you.
    I've never had a 'normal, regular' period in my life but last April I started taking progesterone cream and ive been using it for a year now. For the first time in my life I'm getting lighter more normal periods and more regular. I used to bleed for 3-4 months at a time, non stop, heavy and painful. Only thing that would stop it was strong pills from the dr but they used to make my hair fall out.
    Anyway the website may be worth a look for you hun, I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

Take care xxx
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as a word of caution, agnus castus has very good reports on the internet and most women get on really well with it however personally it made all of my PMT systoms a hell of a lot worse and created a few new ones for me too. No harm in trying it, like I said it works for most people but unfortunately not everyone. Personally ibruprofen works a treat for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider eliminating gluten. It might sound wacky but my crippling period pains lessened significantly as a result. I met another girl who randomly had found the same result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Fanny Anne,
    I'm assuming you have PCOS or something similar? I suffer from the dreaded initials and can sympathise with you. I found a website called Verity very useful to talk to people with PCOS, even if you dont have it it may be worth a look for you.
    I've never had a 'normal, regular' period in my life but last April I started taking progesterone cream and ive been using it for a year now. For the first time in my life I'm getting lighter more normal periods and more regular. I used to bleed for 3-4 months at a time, non stop, heavy and painful. Only thing that would stop it was strong pills from the dr but they used to make my hair fall out.
    Anyway the website may be worth a look for you hun, I'm glad you've found something that works for you.

Take care xxx

Hi
    Whilst I have been to the doctors quite a few times with painful periods, I have never been diagnosed with anything else. I was considering trying progesterone cream and wanted advice on it, where do you buy yours? Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Just as a word of caution, agnus castus has very good reports on the internet and most women get on really well with it however personally it made all of my PMT systoms a hell of a lot worse and created a few new ones for me too. No harm in trying it, like I said it works for most people but unfortunately not everyone. Personally ibruprofen works a treat for me.

Thank you for your reply, however as I stated previously ibruprofen can stop you getting pregnant and I am trying to. So far I have not had any bad effects from taking AC, but I will keep your warning in mind.

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/medicineoverview.aspx?condition=Pain&medicine=ibuprofen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consider eliminating gluten. It might sound wacky but my crippling period pains lessened significantly as a result. I met another girl who randomly had found the same result.

Many thanks for your suggestion, I think I will stick to AC at the moment to see if it is a fluke or not. I already have to limit my diet due to food intolerences and gluten does not seem to be a trigger.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you OP, I hadn't heard about the ibubrofen thing before, I don't blame you for sticking with agnus castus but surely taking ibprofen for a day or two to relieve period pain wouldn't have such a drastic result? I'm really shocked by that! Any way best of luck with everything, I have read so many people say agnus castus changed their lives and many people who credit it with getting them pregnant so I wish you well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Thank you OP, I hadn't heard about the ibubrofen thing before, I don't blame you for sticking with agnus castus but surely taking ibprofen for a day or two to relieve period pain wouldn't have such a drastic result? I'm really shocked by that! Any way best of luck with everything, I have read so many people say agnus castus changed their lives and many people who credit it with getting them pregnant so I wish you well.

I thought the same as you, but apparently the NSAIDS do something to the lining of the womb that may prevent the egg implanting. I was only taking Menefamic Acid for 4 days of a 28 day cycle and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year now and I keep being late (at least 4/5 times) but the egg seems not to be sticking. Hopefully I will have more luck with AC. Many thanks :)
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Very painful periods should be referred to a gynae as it is not normal

I have endometriosis and thought being bed ridden a few days a month was normal til I was diagnosed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

I have endometriosis and thought being bed ridden a few days a month was normal til I was diagnosed

I think that the trouble is that most doctors are men and they do not understand how painful and debilitating periods can be. I am ok using AC at the moment and hopefully it will continue to ease my problems with period pain and give me a chance of getting pregnant. Have you tried AC to aid with getting pregnant?
  • Options
    itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    I think that the trouble is that most doctors are men and they do not understand how painful and debilitating periods can be. I am ok using AC at the moment and hopefully it will continue to ease my problems with period pain and give me a chance of getting pregnant. Have you tried AC to aid with getting pregnant?

Unfortunately, not that I wish any pain on them, a lot of women don't either.

I started suffering from awful pain about a year after my period started. They all virtually followed the same pattern. Four hours after the first sign of blood, the pain would start gradually increasing until I just had to lay down. I would feel hot, faint, get ringing in the ears and feel incredibly nauseous for the next six hours or so then feel like a washed out rag for another day. One of my teachers at school said he had never seen anyone look so white!

My periods always lasted about 7 days and half way through they would ease off only for the pains to start in earnest again for a couple of hours around day five. Once, one arrived when I had been invited to tea at my future mother-in-law's. When my hubby (then my boyfriend) explained my reason for not being able to go, he was met with, 'Oh, we all get little aches and pains now and again'. Even my hubby said he felt like screaming as he frequently witnessed what I went through. Sadly, no medication had any beneficial effect for me and the warm gin and water that my mum said did the trick for her just put me off spirits for life!!

I guess if women (and men of course) don't have such symptoms themselves (and my nana and many of my friends and daughters' friends experience absolutely no pain whatsoever), it is easy to think of it as just a natural process, and hard for them to understand what some females go through. Unfortunately both my daughters and my niece have suffered similar symptoms to those I experienced.

All my daughters have been offered by the medical profession though is the Pill, which caused my eldest daughter to bleed so much she went back to her female doctor who said that was too bad and it would right itself eventually!!!

I have to say the only thing that worked for me was having a baby and it took having a couple before the pains eased completely. Thankfully my eldest daughter who has recently had her second baby is now symptom free too. But obviously this cannot be the remedy for everyone, especially those who are trying to become pregnant.

Whoever suffers from period pain etc has my utmost heartfelt sympathy and I wish you all well with whatever treatments work for you.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi
    Whilst I have been to the doctors quite a few times with painful periods, I have never been diagnosed with anything else. I was considering trying progesterone cream and wanted advice on it, where do you buy yours? Many thanks

Sorry for the delay hun ive not been very well. I buy it on ebay or amazon usually depending on which is cheaper. I buy the brand Source Naturals myself. It says to put it on twice daily but ive found 3 times a day more effective for me.
    I hope ive answered your questions, if not just ask and I'll be happy to help.

Take care xxx
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you looked into soy isoflavones as well?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »

I agree, I thought my pain was normal, left it for ages and ended up having to get an ovary out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Have you looked into soy isoflavones as well?

No, can you tell me what they do? Have you used this? Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the delay hun ive not been very well. I buy it on ebay or amazon usually depending on which is cheaper. I buy the brand Source Naturals myself. It says to put it on twice daily but ive found 3 times a day more effective for me.
    I hope ive answered your questions, if not just ask and I'll be happy to help.

Take care xxx

Many thanks, do you use it all month?
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=FANNY_ANNE;72121466]I think that the trouble is that most doctors are men and they do not understand how painful and debilitating periods can be. I am ok using AC at the moment and hopefully it will continue to ease my problems with period pain and give me a chance of getting pregnant. Have you tried AC to aid with getting pregnant?[/QUOTE]

I fought for over a year (against female GPs it has to be said) to be taken seriously about gynaecological issues I was having, in the end I got to see an amazing (male) gynaecologist who took the time to get everything sorted for me.

I'm not sure what area you're in but if you're near London I can PM you his details if you'd like.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, can you tell me what they do? Have you used this? Many thanks

Its quite similar to AC but you only take it at the start of your cycle to help ovulation. Its only really supposed to be used if you don't have a regular ovulation/period cycle. Don't know if you can take it as well as AC though but there's a lot of stuff on the net about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Its quite similar to AC but you only take it at the start of your cycle to help ovulation. Its only really supposed to be used if you don't have a regular ovulation/period cycle. Don't know if you can take it as well as AC though but there's a lot of stuff on the net about it.

Many thanks I'll have a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I fought for over a year (against female GPs it has to be said) to be taken seriously about gynaecological issues I was having, in the end I got to see an amazing (male) gynaecologist who took the time to get everything sorted for me.

I'm not sure what area you're in but if you're near London I can PM you his details if you'd like.

Many thanks for the information. I'm in the midlands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks, do you use it all month?

Sorry I should have said, initially you use it for 6 weeks straight to build up your levels and then its two weeks on and two weeks off for as long as you want to take it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I should have said, initially you use it for 6 weeks straight to build up your levels and then its two weeks on and two weeks off for as long as you want to take it.

Many thanks for that. I am just looking on ebay and amazon to see what is the best deal.