[Torchwood: Miracle Day] 'Immortal Sins' - BBC1 9PM (UK Pace)

1151617181921»

Comments

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    If they did, it would be a copy of Robert Heinlein's 1951 novel "The Puppet Masters" not Stargate ;)

You know what I mean though. I remember the Donald Sutherland film adaptation of that book, but not that many other people will these days or have read the book. Millions will still remember Stargate though.

It's too obvious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    This is a lovely interview with Daniele Favelli who of course gets asked - what's it like to kiss John Barrowman?
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    When I saw the 'worm', I thought of Stargate SG1 and the need for symbiotes to find hosts - but surely Torchwood wouldn't copy an idea as blatantly as that?!
    /QUOTE]

Why not - Stargate nicked the idea.

It was also used in Star Trek (Dax in DS9) four years before it appeared in SG1 and long before that in The Next Generation (where the "bugs" were controlling Star Fleet's brass)

Ultimately, it's just a sci-fi twist on possession by evil spirits.
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tumpy wrote: »
    This is a lovely interview with Daniele Favelli who of course gets asked - what's it like to kiss John Barrowman?

Even women say he's a great kisser! :D
    When I saw the 'worm', I thought of Stargate SG1 and the need for symbiotes to find hosts - but surely Torchwood wouldn't copy an idea as blatantly as that?!

Why not - Stargate nicked the idea.

It was also used in Star Trek (Dax in DS9) four years before it appeared in SG1 and long before that in The Next Generation (where the "bugs" were controlling Star Fleet's brass)

Ultimately, it's just a sci-fi twist on possession by evil spirits.

For the reason I gave - SG is too recent. Over the years there have been loads of body snatching plots, but it would be a bit much to go with an alien that looks so close to the one used in a recent cult series that ran for 10 seasons.
  • GeenyGeeny Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Angelo Jack episode was lovely well written and beautiful. I also enjoyed the Gwen Jack talk in the car, as a UK viewer from way back Ive often thought it possible Anwen was Jacks daughter, Gwen could have been given retcon or you know how anything is poss in sci fi. Thats why its great escapism. Miracle Day is actually a classic because its got people talking and thinking and pushing tv boundaries, well in some prudish peoples minds anyway. It sticks in the mind just like Children of the Earth. I loved series 1 and 2 as well but in a different way. I do miss Tosh, Ianto and Owen though. Not keen on the other yanks but they may grow on me
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this episode actually, mainly because it didn't have any of the American team in it. Esther and Rex are so dull as characters,
  • peasonokaypeasonokay Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peasonokay wrote: »
    Well i think the crucial piece was when the whole town started flogging him and collecting his blood - we saw a woman with a glass jar with blood in it. Therefore my theory is

JACKS BLOOD CAN MAKE OTHERS IMMORTAL....:p

Smug look on face..i was right!;):D
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oohh a bumped thread. Well then. Now the whole series has finished, can someone explain to me just what the hell the whole Jack and Angelo thing had to do with any of it? They could have removed it completly, just had someone noticing Jack couldn't die, and torturing him. Angelo was the most pointless character in it, which is saying something.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Oohh a bumped thread. Well then. Now the whole series has finished, can someone explain to me just what the hell the whole Jack and Angelo thing had to do with any of it? They could have removed it completly, just had someone noticing Jack couldn't die, and torturing him. Angelo was the most pointless character in it, which is saying something.

It was how the families got Jack's blood, but I'd agree it was a long digression just to explain that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I did go into this series with an open mind tried to give it a chance an was bored completely. It seemed very long winded and the ending was rubbish and rex being immortal at the end was very predicable.

Its probably just me but i enjoyed the fact that torchwood was a british show in the many American centric shows, good to see things happen in other places in the world and everything doesnt revolve around America.

I didnt like the new additions to the cast and the fact Torchwood was pretty much defunct and they were in essence sudo CIA agents now and slowly but surely phasing out the British elements of which for me made the show.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »

I got the impression that Jack tried not to let people notice he couldn't die (disappearing from their life when he 'died') He said Angelo was the first person he'd gone back for. If he hadn't then none of it would have happened.

Yes I know in theory it would have been possible for someone to stumble upon Jack reviving by accident, but 'Fragments' showed that Jack always tried to find another reason, 'bad hangover' in that case, or it wasn't that bad, you were mistaken, they missed, I'm just lucky, etc. I think most people would believe that rather than something as absurd as Jack being immortal. Angelo however was already very conflicted between his homosexuality and his Catholic faith, so while he initially wanted to believe Jack, his conscience (and remembering that Jack did seem shot dead) made him think Jack was the devil who had been there to tempt him away from his faith.

In short the story needed the love affair, the catholic faith, and Jack willingness to return for Angelo, and Angelos betrayal.