Life of Pi?

2»

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    SuperHet wrote: »
    Didn't Coppolla merely film what the villagers were going to do anyway? I understand he didn't engineer it.
    I doubt he'd get away with the "no animals were harmed in the making of this film" line though
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot1000 wrote: »
    There's a free screening this coming sunday at a number of Odeon Cinemas:

http://www.showfilmfirst.com/service/

Code: 744394

Tickets still available for the free 3D screening at 10.30!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I doubt he'd get away with the "no animals were harmed in the making of this film" line though

"No animals were harmed in the making of this film. However Martin Sheen had a heart attack, Marlon Brando went nuts, and Dennis Hopper was off his face on smack" :D
  • Stuart1000Stuart1000 Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night. It truly is breathtaking. I sat in awe with my mouth wide open for 2hrs.

You need to see this.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's very beautiful and the 3D works well (it's mostly daylight/ bright colors) .

don't know how they did the tiger , some of it must be fake but it looked good to me .

the story does make you think , it involves te audience because it asks you what sort of story you want to hear .
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't know how they did the tiger , some of it must be fake but it looked good to me .
    15% real; 85% CGI. www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/wrap-awards-screening-how-aslans-digital-creators-went-lions-tigers-and-pi-oh-my-68851
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Puts me in mind of The Old Man and the Sea.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember seeing the trailer for it whilst watching Lawless and I thought it looked pretty good and it looks like the sort of film that will probably win a lot of awards?
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's very beautiful and the 3D works well (it's mostly daylight/ bright colors) .

the story does make you think , it involves te audience because it asks you what sort of story you want to hear .

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/conversation/entertainment/10-things-you
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blue34 wrote: »
    I wonder how closely it follows the book?
    I can't see the Zebra,Hyena or Orangutan on the boat.

Oh they're there alright!
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it already. Good use of 3D I must say. A beautiful film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seen it twice now. The 3D was pretty pointless in my view, but the cinematography is stunning, the film follows the book fairly closely (there is one major section missed out, but this does not really impact on the story), the acting is good, partituclalry from the main guy (who's name escapes me) and the SFX on the animals are excellent, especially Richard Parker. The only thing I was not keen on was the use of florescent images at a couple of points in the story - the whale in particular, but this is clearly a matter of taste.

Very good film and well worth a watch. Needs to be seen on the big screen
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Went to see this on Tuesday evening and thought that it was probably the most visually stunning flick I've seen this year...however it's also (quality wise) one of the most uneven.

The mid section of this movie (dedicated to PI's 'adventure' @ sea) is very decent indeed but what occurs before and after that is actually pretty tedious.

That said, I'd still recommend going to see 'Life Of Pi' but just be prepared for the occasional bout of clocking watching (especially in the last 15 or so minutes)...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    the tiger is the star in this film , from the clip i seen :D
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    the tiger is the star in this film , from the clip i seen :D

It is, but the Meerkats almost steal the show! I saw a 3d screening the other night. I didn't know the book so didn't know what to expect. Absolutely visually stunning and I love the music too. I would highly recommend the film.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It reminded me a bit of that John Boorman film Hell in the Pacific , particularly one scene where the tiger does something , which I won't spoil , but he finds it very funny .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life of Pi is out today and id definitely worth a look.

Ang Lee has achieved a great feat in filming what many considered an impossible book (Yann Martel's) to film.

It's a delightfully gentle story, that is both touching and uplifting.

And surprisingly, the 3D is used to great effect and one of the superior examples of its use in modern cinema today.

Oh and the CGI is breathtaking.

Review here.