Options

French Set Text help

cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,995
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Reading the French Novel thread, it got me thinking back to the texts that I studied at A and AS level. Although it was 20 years ago, I have managed to remember most of them :

Les Mains Salles – J P Sartre
Il est Minuit Dr Schweitzer – Gilbert Cesbron
Le Bourgeuous Gentilhomme – Moliere
L'allouette (Jeanne d'arc) - Jean Anouilh

However there was one that I recall the plot of quite well, but can't drag the title from the recesses of my mind. It was about a doctor, who move to a new village to take over from a retiring doctor, and he had to create a clientele from a community of healthy, well people. He managed to talk them into having all sorts of ailments, and to earn a great living.

Does anyone have any idea what this book is ?

Whilst I'm on the subject of A level texts, I can only remember one of my German Texts, Caucasian Chalk Circle by Brecht. I have no idea what the others were, title or plot. Is there anyone here who studied language A levels in the late eighties?

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did French A Level in the 80s, but we we're allowed to do literature! I asked and asked but the teacher said we couldn't. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I did French A Level in the 80s, but we we're allowed to do literature! I asked and asked but the teacher said we couldn't. :(

It was a bit heavy going at times, especially for me as I wasn't that into Eng Lit, I'm more a numbers type (now an accountant). It was the only paper that was offered at our school - oral and written for literature, then the same for general language.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vaguely remember reading something by Collette from my French A level. Something about an island IIRC.

For German, we did Der Verlorene Ehre der Katarina Blum - the most awful book ever written I seen to recall!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading something by Collette from my French A level. Something about an island IIRC.

For German, we did Der Verlorene Ehre der Katarina Blum - the most awful book ever written I seen to recall!

Katarina Blum, that name seems familiar, what was it about?
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathh70 wrote: »
    Katarina Blum, that name seems familiar, what was it about?

I seem to have blocked most of it from my mind(!) but I do remember that someone called her 'lambchen' a lot of the time...

I've just looked on wiki and the story doesn't ring a bell with me at all now! It was 25 years ago though :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    cathh70 wrote: »

However there was one that I recall the plot of quite well, but can't drag the title from the recesses of my mind. It was about a doctor, who move to a new village to take over from a retiring doctor, and he had to create a clientele from a community of healthy, well people. He managed to talk them into having all sorts of ailments, and to earn a great living.

Does anyone have any idea what this book is ?

Could it be Doctor Knock by Jules Romains

This satire was written in 1923
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamonit wrote: »
    Could it be Doctor Knock by Jules Romains

This satire was written in 1923

Yes! That's the one. Thanks very much.